Danny Woodhead

Not sure where to post this, so I'm posting it here...

NFL Draft: Eyes will be on Woodhead on draft day

BY MARJIE DUCEY

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Danny Woodhead may not watch coverage of the NFL draft Sunday, but an ESPN audience could be watching him.

Woodhead's agent, Chris Gittings, said Woodhead is one of several players ESPN will track. They think he has a good chance to get drafted, despite doubts because of his height, which is just under 5-foot-8.

"They might cover him for five seconds, five minutes or five hours," Gittings said. "I have no idea how much air time we'll get."

Gittings said producers aren't sending a TV personality to interview Woodhead but likely will do that from ESPN's draft desk.

Woodhead, a two-time Harlon Hill winner and college football's all-time leading rusher, said viewers won't see anything too exciting.

"I'll probably be kicking back and maybe watching some playoff basketball," he said. "I'll just hang out with the family and enjoy myself."

Woodhead said he won't feel awkward if he doesn't get picked. He sees the attention as a positive, allowing viewers to get to know him personally.

"If I don't get drafted, no big deal," he said. "I'm going to sign on somewhere."

Gittings said he has seen increased interest in Woodhead since the running back dazzled scouts at his pro day at Nebraska in March. Gittings is working for Woodhead with certified contract adviser Dan Hoven through Hometown Sports Management.

Woodhead turned in between a 4.33 and a 4.38 40-yard time, Gittings said. He also registered a 38½-inch vertical jump and a pro-agility time of 4.03 seconds.

"As you talk to NFL personnel people, that's the first thing that they say — the pro day helped him out," Gittings said. "That's not to say he wasn't a good prospect before that. He put up some fantastic numbers at his pro day. That can't do anything but help him."

But having said that, Gittings also said that most people would say that Woodhead is a "bubble guy."

"He's right on the edge," Gittings said. "Some teams are projecting him as a draft pick. . . . He could definitely get drafted. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he did. He could end up as a free agent as well."

The positive to being drafted, Gittings said, is that Woodhead would receive a larger signing bonus. If he goes the free-agent route, he would get to choose between teams that are interested in him.

Woodhead, who is getting married in July, has been able to mix in a little golf with his workouts and wedding preparations as he waited for this weekend. He said he's not stressed out — he's just eager to know his final destination.

He has no favorite team in mind but said he's been a Denver Broncos fan since he was little.

"My favorite team," he said, "could quickly change."

I understand this guy is short, but so is Warrick Dunn and Maurice Jones-Drew. If you can play, you can play dammit. I have seen several D-3 guys get drafted that had no reason to be on NFL rosters (Ryan Hoag, from Gustavus in St. Peter, MN was drafted a couple years back because he ran a 4.4. This despite the fact he caught like 20 balls his senior year there). Woodhead is a two-time Hill trophy winner and a legit freak. Can someone please explain to me how he's "On the bubble"? This guy should be a sixth round pick, he'll be a great player used in the return game and coming out of the slot. I really can't stand the NFL mindset sometimes. The guy is a gamer, end of story.

I understand this guy is short, but so is Warrick Dunn and Maurice Jones-Drew. If you can play, you can play dammit. I have seen several D-3 guys get drafted that had no reason to be on NFL rosters (Ryan Hoag, from Gustavus in St. Peter, MN was drafted a couple years back because he ran a 4.4. This despite the fact he caught like 20 balls his senior year there). Woodhead is a two-time Hill trophy winner and a legit freak. Can someone please explain to me how he's "On the bubble"? This guy should be a sixth round pick, he'll be a great player used in the return game and coming out of the slot. I really can't stand the NFL mindset sometimes. The guy is a gamer, end of story.

All true!

Actually, it was Solich that passed on him.

While it turned out well for Danny, it's got to be REALLY difficult to offer a scholarship to a kid only 5'7", even if he is fast. That's like girl size.

Anyway, I'd love to see him get a shot in the NFL. Those are great stories - small kid from a small town...

Actually, it was Solich that passed on him.

While it turned out well for Danny, it's got to be REALLY difficult to offer a scholarship to a kid only 5'7", even if he is fast. That's like girl size.

Anyway, I'd love to see him get a shot in the NFL. Those are great stories - small kid from a small town...

with that speed he could pop out from behind the big linemen and be gone before the D could find him!

OMG WOODHEAD!11

You shouldn't slam a good player (Woodhead) just because your boy Calllllllahan passed on Danny. He will get his shot at the NFL.

1. Solich passed on him

2. Your post sarcasm and meaning detector is malfunctioning. Please fix or install a new one.