Weight: 290 lbs.

40 time: 5.08

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Arkansas, Kentucky, LA Tech, Tulane

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Big Red Report: :star:star:star

Assessing the talent: Good OL prospect could end up at C or OT. From ESPN Evaluation: Fontana is an extremely talented technician at the offensive tackle position. Even though he is only 6' 3" he plays much bigger. He also uses all 280 plus pounds to his advantage. Drive blocking is his specialty; comes off the ball with an excellent first short step and delivers as good punch with his hands. Gets great knock back against most opponents. If played just a little lower, would completely dominate the defender. More here... http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/...26season%3d2009

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 10%.

• 2 weeks later...

From Husker Journal:

MAY 20, 2008. PREP STAR

JOEY FONTANA, OL, 6-3, 290, 5.1, NEW ORLEANS (BROTHER MARTIN), LA

Joey has offers from Nebraska, Louisiana Tech, Tulane, Arkansas and Kentucky.

“My dad and I are going to visit Nebraska in early June about two weeks. Nebraska coaches are very excited that I’m going up there and see them and so am I. I try to call them (Nebraska coaches) they send me a lot of hand written letters.” he said

Nebraska is recruiting me as a center or offensive guard.” said Fontana, “Nebraska has great tradition they sent linemen to the NFL late 80’s early 90’s.”

“I know about coach Pelini since I live here in Louisiana. It takes a lot for national championship coaches to rebuild a program like Nebraska. I put a lot of trust for coaches to do that.”

In reference to Coaches Ekeler and Papuchis both came over from LSU with Bo Pelini.

“Distance isn’t a factor I’m not worried about how good the team is now and about national championships. I want a school where I feel comfortable at. Same place where I will spend the next five years at.” said Fontana.

“I would like to visit all the schools that offered me and some that have not.” he said

“I don’t know much about Oklahoma State, but since we are going to Nebraska we thought about visiting Oklahoma State.” said Fontana

“I did visit Arkansas, we went to their spring game.” he said, “I really did like it there (Arkansas) they are top of my list. I like to back there to see the campus more before it was more like football.”

“Oklahoma like Nebraska they have great tradition.” said Fontana, “Oklahoma has not offered yet but it sounded like they will in a couple of weeks. Oklahoma has won national championships and played well with SEC teams.”

“Sabin (Alabama) will bring back the program. I did see a game in 2003 I really liked it a lot. It was a good atmosphere. I grew up following LSU and Alabama. My mom and grandpa went there (Alabama).” he said

“My mother works for Delta so I’m able to visit man schools.”

Joey added that he will visit Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Kansas State this summer and will try to make it to Arkansas, Central Florida and Florida State.

“Distance isn’t a factor I’m not worried about how good the team is now and about national championships. I want a school where I feel comfortable at. Same place where I will spend the next five years at.” said Fontana.

i think that sums up something that is very important.

• 2 months later...

Since we haven't heard about him for a couple months, i'm guessing we are out of it.

SMU is all over him. I'd guess Nebraska is looking for 3-4 OL and might be holding a spot for some better fits. (Is Pensick going to play OL? Scout lists him as the #4 C. Joey is the #8 C.)

Or maybe he just likes what June Jones is selling.

lol, I dont think I've ever seen a recruit name 2 top 3s. "Stanford, Nebraska and Arkansas are probably my top three as far as going away for school,” Fontana said. “Locally, my top three are Tulane, SMU — I consider them local because of the quick hour flight — and Southern Miss"

His mom works for Delta so distance from home shouldnt be a factor. Good luck, he sounds and looks like a good prospect. http://wholehogsports.com/adg/234080

lol, I dont think I've ever seen a recruit name 2 top 3s. "Stanford, Nebraska and Arkansas are probably my top three as far as going away for school,” Fontana said. “Locally, my top three are Tulane, SMU — I consider them local because of the quick hour flight — and Southern Miss"

His mom works for Delta so distance from home shouldnt be a factor. Good luck, he sounds and looks like a good prospect. http://wholehogsports.com/adg/234080

Ha ha, Scout says he keeps changing his mind but lists his favorites as SMU, Tulane and Stanford. Probably depends who talks to him last.