Help! Who were all the HC candidates?

I can only remember three that had actual interviews.

1. Bo Pelini

2. Turner Gill

3. Jim Grobe (Wanted all of his assistants to come)

There were others that were rumored that might had or possible might get interviewed. Here are some of those people

1. Brian Kelly

2. Paul Johnson

3. I know that I'm forgetting about two or three other people but my mind is just blanked right now.

Hope this helps

Personal oppinion.

There were no others, Pelini was selected and done, before any were talked to. And it was not Coach Osborne who selected him. Big buck booster made the choice. Too many rumors running around weeks before BC got fired to think it was all false.

But the list that was given is pretty spot on as far as names. Somebody like Watson as much as Pelini. Grobe would have been my choice, but I am getting on the band wagon and happy with Pelini so far. He is doing the right things.

Personal oppinion.

There were no others, Pelini was selected and done, before any were talked to. And it was not Coach Osborne who selected him. Big buck booster made the choice. Too many rumors running around weeks before BC got fired to think it was all false.

But the list that was given is pretty spot on as far as names. Somebody like Watson as much as Pelini. Grobe would have been my choice, but I am getting on the band wagon and happy with Pelini so far. He is doing the right things.

I wanted Grobe to come in here too, but I support Pelini and he has definitely grown on me.

He is a no non-sense kind of guy, and he's just a good guy. Oh, and don't forget he is probably one of the best defensive minds in college football - something Nebraska desparately needed.

Personal oppinion.

I wanted Grobe to come in here too, but I support Pelini and he has definitely grown on me.

He is a no non-sense kind of guy, and he's just a good guy. Oh, and don't forget he is probably one of the best defensive minds in college football - something Nebraska desparately needed.

and i was/am a proud member of the paul johnson group.

Personal oppinion.

I don't know about the booster-part or not but I'm inclined to believe that folks saw this coming. Ya not everything from that email came true but they were spot-on on Bo coming and Tom wanting Watson kept. We don't know what may have went on behind closed-doors to get BC to "step down" early. I wonder if Bo was kinda distracted in a couple of those late-season games where LSU's D wasn't up to standard. I think he was still working but I think he saw a change coming and his head wasn't totally in the game. Once the search was officially over LSU's D was back to their playmaking selves.

I was leaning towards an experienced HC as-well. I like Kelly's track-record a lot. I don't know if Bronco Mendenhall would leave BYU but he'd have been a hell of a candidate-strong HC that seriously knows D.

Only time will tell how Bo and his buddies will work-out. But ya gotta like what we are hearing out of camp. We should be a motivated, fundamentally sound, aggressive team again that actually has coaching on the defensive side of the ball.

Personal oppinion.

and i was/am a proud member of the paul johnson group.

so was i, until you think of the reasons why pelini was hired. dr. tom walked in, saw the thing that was jacked-up the most was the husker d and most likely wanted a coach who could fix the blackshirts in a quick, competent and timely manner.

even if tom were to get on the phone as start calling around for referrals, eventually bo's name would have come-up at least half-a-dozen times. frank hired bo on monte kiffin's recommendation, and that was after monte called pete carroll and polled him on the issue.

this does not take away from paul johnson. he won two NCAA Div1-AA titles and won 50 Div1 games in four years.

at navy.

and that's all you have to say about johnson. if you can win at navy, you are the macgyver of ncaa football and can pretty salvage any program out there. except baylor and temple.

somethings are just *too* broken.

so was i, until you think of the reasons why pelini was hired. dr. tom walked in, saw the thing that was jacked-up the most was the husker d and most likely wanted a coach who could fix the blackshirts in a quick, competent and timely manner.

even if tom were to get on the phone as start calling around for referrals, eventually bo's name would have come-up at least half-a-dozen times. frank hired bo on monte kiffin's recommendation, and that was after monte called pete carroll and polled him on the issue.

this does not take away from paul johnson. he won two NCAA Div1-AA titles and won 50 Div1 games in four years.

at navy.

and that's all you have to say about johnson. if you can win at navy, you are the macgyver of ncaa football and can pretty salvage any program out there. except baylor and temple.

I was a big Paul Johnson fan for the facts that you posted above. I watched two Navy games this past year when they played Army and Notre Dame. I was pretty impressed with his running game and what he did to The Fighting Irish. He's got a pretty impressive track record with Navy and with his previous coaching job at I thinks some Div1-AA school in georgia?

If you can take a Navy team and create a winning program than thats pretty good. But I'm still a BOliever since 2003. I think that Nebraska will be back on top with Bo and we'll be up in the top 10 within 1-2 years.

at navy.

I was a big Paul Johnson fan for the facts that you posted above. I watched two Navy games this past year when they played Army and Notre Dame. I was pretty impressed with his running game and what he did to The Fighting Irish. He's got a pretty impressive track record with Navy and with his previous coaching job at I thinks some Div1-AA school in georgia?

If you can take a Navy team and create a winning program than thats pretty good. But I'm still a BOliever since 2003. I think that Nebraska will be back on top with Bo and we'll be up in the top 10 within 1-2 years.

game navy won and should have loss was pitt, i watched the entire game, the navy qb had a amazing option pass to the te for 40 or 50 yards, but seriously the stashe is the worst coach ever, your on the navy 1 down a td, it's 3rd down and your running back has been averaging 8 yards that drive for rushing(between the tackles) do you a run a hb iso or hb dive or b do you throw a fade to the far corner? he choose the wrong one TWICE cost them the game. also it was the greatest moment because you could hear mark may just crying in the background while giving his "thoughts"

According to Tom he wanted to fix what was broken during the BC-era. Bo does do that. The D is going to be improved. We'll be more motivated. We'll be more physical. And husker traditions including the walk-on program will be embraced.

Out of the "outsiders" mentioned I think Paul Johnson would probably be the most conducive guy to Dr Tom's vision. I can see a guy who won with a grounded attack at a service-academy(granted he wanted to pass more but lacked personnel to do so) doing well at Neb and bleeding husker-red. Still think a Paul Johnson/Jon Tenuta combo would have been interesting.

According to Tom he wanted to fix what was broken during the BC-era. Bo does do that. The D is going to be improved. We'll be more motivated. We'll be more physical. And husker traditions including the walk-on program will be embraced.

Out of the "outsiders" mentioned I think Paul Johnson would probably be the most conducive guy to Dr Tom's vision. I can see a guy who won with a grounded attack at a service-academy(granted he wanted to pass more but lacked personnel to do so) doing well at Neb and bleeding husker-red. Still think a Paul Johnson/Jon Tenuta combo would have been interesting.

god like really.

at navy.

game navy won and should have loss was pitt, i watched the entire game, the navy qb had a amazing option pass to the te for 40 or 50 yards, but seriously the stashe is the worst coach ever, your on the navy 1 down a td, it's 3rd down and your running back has been averaging 8 yards that drive for rushing(between the tackles) do you a run a hb iso or hb dive or b do you throw a fade to the far corner? he choose the wrong one TWICE cost them the game. also it was the greatest moment because you could hear mark may just crying in the background while giving his "thoughts"

Just goes to show you that we had the dumbest AD in America. If memory serves me right, wasn't Stache on the short list when we hired Clownahan? I think Pud and Stache will fit perfectly together at Pitt. Isn't it amazing that right after he was hired there Stache gets a contract extension?