Trev on the Huskers.

I agree with Trev. Momentum is a giant slayer, not to say Va Tech or Mizzou are giants, and it really builds confidence not only in players but in the program as a whole. If we get the ball rolling early, good things will happen. A good example is to take a look at Kansas last year. They came out rolling early in their weak non-Conference games, scoring 214 points and allowing only 23. The confidence that it created within their team boiled over into conference play and also into the BCS game. Yeah they had the hiccup with Mizzou, but that just goes to show that Kansas isn't and never will be Nebraska!! GBR!!!

Haters abound. That Ball State you guys scheduled, I mean really, we must remove our rose colored glasses....

i dont see us winning to many games mid-season. vt mu tx tech and ku all are going to be tough games. i feel we are lucky winning 2 of those games. now we should be competetive in all but i dont see with a qb ganz at the relm that we can get over the hump and win the big games

You would be lucky to even win 1, 2 would be very lucky. in the late Osborne years, well, 3-0. It is not then now. Maybe will be someday, not this year. Trev is good guy, but maybe a little biased I am afraid...

I agree with Trev. Momentum is a giant slayer, not to say Va Tech or Mizzou are giants, and it really builds confidence not only in players but in the program as a whole. If we get the ball rolling early, good things will happen. A good example is to take a look at Kansas last year. They came out rolling early in their weak non-Conference games, scoring 214 points and allowing only 23. The confidence that it created within their team boiled over into conference play and also into the BCS game. Yeah they had the hiccup with Mizzou, but that just goes to show that Kansas isn't and never will be Nebraska!! GBR!!!

Haters abound. That Ball State you guys scheduled, I mean really, we must remove our rose colored glasses....

Ball State did make a bowl game you know. KU's first 4 games were CMU, SE Louisiana, Toledo, and that juggarnaut Florida International. Only 1 of those 4 played in a bowl. FI had a whopping 1-11 record last year. I believe the point to what he was saying is that your first 4 games were relatively weak with only 1 of your opponents making it to a bowl game. You got a lot of momentum going heading into Big 12 play where you didn't face OU or Texas. NU on the other hand played 4 bowl bound teams at the beginning of the season. Nevada made a bowl, Wake Forest made a bowl and finished in the top 30, USC made a bowl and finished #7 in the BCS, and Ball State made a bowl. Our nonconference was much tougher than KU's. The Wake Forest win was an ugly win that easily could have turned into a loss due to a late 4th qtr. turnover. USC completely stole any momentum whatsoever we had which resulted into a nailbighter with Ball State which we probably should have lost. There was so much hype about the #1 team coming into our house to play, and we fell completely on our face. IMO, our season would have been much better had we not played that USC game.

I definitely think that VA Tech is a game that we can win. They lost 7 starters on their defense, including Flowers and their entire LB corps. VA Tech's running game wasn't spectacular with Brandon Ore. Now, Ore is gone, along with the next two in line to fill his spot. Their offense isn't that impressive, definitely ball control relying on the defense and special teams to win games. I'm not a fan of the 2 QB system. Glennon is mediocre, and Taylor is mainly a run threat, IMO. If we can get up early, I think the game is our's to lose. As for the OU in the late 90's, I see a lot of similarities. Bo is following a stellar recruiter, as did Stoops (John Blake, hmmm that name is familiar). The talent is there. Stoops won early with big, physical O-Line play, a very strong running game, and stingy defense, all of which we are attempting to reclaim at Nebraska. I wear my rose-colored glasses proudly even though I call the Sooner State home. You can all say I'm drinking the Kool-Aid, but I don't think that 10 wins is out of the question. NOT great odds, but not out of the question. Regardless, I am ready to see the return of the Blackshirts!!!!!

:bonezYOU CAN'T WIN...IF YOU CAN'T SCORE :bonez

That was always one of my favorite slogans.

Ball State did make a bowl game you know. KU's first 4 games were CMU, SE Louisiana, Toledo, and that juggarnaut Florida International. Only 1 of those 4 played in a bowl. FI had a whopping 1-11 record last year. I believe the point to what he was saying is that your first 4 games were relatively weak with only 1 of your opponents making it to a bowl game. You got a lot of momentum going heading into Big 12 play where you didn't face OU or Texas. NU on the other hand played 4 bowl bound teams at the beginning of the season. Nevada made a bowl, Wake Forest made a bowl and finished in the top 30, USC made a bowl and finished #7 in the BCS, and Ball State made a bowl. Our nonconference was much tougher than KU's. The Wake Forest win was an ugly win that easily could have turned into a loss due to a late 4th qtr. turnover. USC completely stole any momentum whatsoever we had which resulted into a nailbighter with Ball State which we probably should have lost. There was so much hype about the #1 team coming into our house to play, and we fell completely on our face. IMO, our season would have been much better had we not played that USC game.

CMU made a bowl game too, almost beat Big 10's Purdue, yet they are weak? THey are one of the best teams in the MAC, a D-1 conference.... You played a better non conference, but CMU was good, their QB was Awesome and we shut him down...

Oh, and I agree, you should have not played USC, that did not help... (hindsight of course)

There's another side to that coin, negative momentum can also absolutely kill you. Look at what happened to you guys last year... you nab a couple of easy W's, come into the USC game feeling confident, get absolutely destroyed, and the wheels just completely fall off the whole of your program (coaches, fans, and players alike).

Make no mistake, this is a critical season for you guys. The relatively long term future of the team is at stake during those big name games... if you can come out and win or at least keep the scores close, then the players will feel like Bo has brought the tradition of winning back to NU, but if you get stomped again, it's not going to take much to get those players thinking "aww crap... here we go again"

There's another side to that coin, negative momentum can also absolutely kill you. Look at what happened to you guys last year... you nab a couple of easy W's, come into the USC game feeling confident, get absolutely destroyed, and the wheels just completely fall off the whole of your program (coaches, fans, and players alike).

Make no mistake, this is a critical season for you guys. The relatively long term future of the team is at stake during those big name games... if you can come out and win or at least keep the scores close, then the players will feel like Bo has brought the tradition of winning back to NU, but if you get stomped again, it's not going to take much to get those players thinking "aww crap... here we go again"

You make a good point with this post. If you watch last season there are two defining moments in the season to me. One is when we lost the USC game, everyone was talking about NU's return to national prominence and everyone got caught up in the hype. USC comes in and absolutely smokes us and the team emotionally gave up. Then the team played crappy for a couple of games and Texas was next. Our team seen a chance to beat a nationally ranked team again and played lights out in the first half. Our defense choked in the 2nd half and we give up a good lead and lose the game. After this the team was useless and couldn't play at all until the KSUcks game.

no, i disagree. even with some disappointing loses, this team will be different. callahan couldn't correct a lot of things, i think Pelini will be different, i think he will make this team play better as the season moves along.

not saying we won't lose 4-5 games, but i think you will see a lot more effort and intensity in the players and the coaches.......coz and cally got worse as the season wore on last year......

CMU made a bowl game too, almost beat Big 10's Purdue, yet they are weak? THey are one of the best teams in the MAC, a D-1 conference.... You played a better non conference, but CMU was good, their QB was Awesome and we shut him down...

Ummm, I did say that 1 of the 4 teams you played in the nonconference made a bowl which of course was CMU. You also played a team that one only 1 game the entire year. We shut Nevada down easily also, but I believe it was then undefeated and too highly ranked Boise State that went into overtime with them.

Ummm, I did say that 1 of the 4 teams you played in the nonconference made a bowl which of course was CMU. You also played a team that one only 1 game the entire year. We shut Nevada down easily also, but I believe it was then undefeated and too highly ranked Boise State that went into overtime with them.

Yeah!

Na na na na na..

Our crappy opponents can beat up your crappy opponents.

:dunno:corndance

Yeah!

Na na na na na..

Our crappy opponents can beat up your crappy opponents.

:dunno:corndance

This is true-But we beat you 76-39 so how did this topic ever come up? What's the point? KU player a weak non conference schedule. Big deal We're getting paid back this year with a trip to South Florida and Texas, Texas tech and OU on the schedule. Throw in MU and that's the #1 schedule in the country. Period.