Weight: 285 lbs.

40 time:

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Purdue, Utah, SMU

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Big Red Report:

Assessing the talent: Played rugby in Tonga before moving to TX and picking up football. ESPN Evaluation: Tuipulotu is an interesting prospect. For a fairly fresh face to the game of football he displays a good feel for the game and nice upside. He has adequate size, but looks on film to have a good wingspan for a kid with his build. He has an adequate get-off. Does a solid job of consistently shooting his hands to engage a blocker and protect his legs. Needs to derive more power from the hips and separate better at times to help him more quickly shed. He is a physical kid at the point of attack. More: http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/...26season%3d2009

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 20%. He is HS teammate of Husker recruit Dontrayevous Robinson at Trinity HS in Euless, TX.

I'd LOVE to get this guy.

If he was any good at rugby at that size, he should be a great DT and a great athlete. To play rugby, he had to have at least decent speed and must have some good stamina (well, depends on if it's league or union as to exactly how good of endurance he'd have to have, but in any event, he should definitely be fit).

It seems odd that power from his hips would be a problem. At his size, I'd imagine he was either a forward or a hooker, both of which are actively involved in scrums (which require ALOT of leg strength).

If he was any good at rugby at that size, he should be a great DT and a great athlete. To play rugby, he had to have at least decent speed and must have some good stamina (well, depends on if it's league or union as to exactly how good of endurance he'd have to have, but in any event, he should definitely be fit).

It seems odd that power from his hips would be a problem. At his size, I'd imagine he was either a forward or a hooker, both of which are actively involved in scrums (which require ALOT of leg strength).

generally the league is a Aussie and other tri nation version of rugby while union is the more accepeted, but hell lets not forget that Jonah Lomu was a tongan. That and well...i hate to play tongans in rugby, they view it as a war. So if he follows the rest of his nation i want this kid purely on that fact.

• 1 month later...

no way he was a hooker, he's too tall, we props can't get a could grip on you, i could see him being a locke though just for the power(and then that team using a 4 or 3 man line out.

not only does he need the speed and stamina to play rugby but he has to make good quick decisions(making sure you man up on the right person and can figure out when they want to do a switch, dummy switch, loop pass, or ireland switch.

I think we'll get him, thing is whether he goes on a mission.

Is he Mormon? I hadn't caught that anywhere.

Yup. He says he is going on a mission but that could change, especially with a guy going here rather than BYU or Utah. Thing is, if he goes on a mission not only is he not playing for a couple years(which is OK long-term but hurts short-term) but he could always opt for another program afterwards like Ben Olsen did.

Yup. He says he is going on a mission but that could change, especially with a guy going here rather than BYU or Utah. Thing is, if he goes on a mission not only is he not playing for a couple years(which is OK long-term but hurts short-term) but he could always opt for another program afterwards like Ben Olsen did.

Are we sure we aren't confusing Siosaia Tuipulotu with Latu Heimuli? Siosaia is from Tonga. I'm not sure what the Mormon population is there, but it can't be very large. That puts the chances at him being Mormon very small. On the other hand, Latu is from Utah and lists BYU as his favorite, although he has interest in Nebraska.

Are we sure we aren't confusing Siosaia Tuipulotu with Latu Heimuli? Siosaia is from Tonga. I'm not sure what the Mormon population is there, but it can't be very large. That puts the chances at him being Mormon very small. On the other hand, Latu is from Utah and lists BYU as his favorite, although he has interest in Nebraska.

No he's definitely mormon. Latest rivals update says he wont be playing football till 2011.

Euless (Texas) Trinity defensive tackle Siosaia Tuipulotu has nailed down his first official visit of the recruiting process. The 6-foot-2, 285-pound standout will travel to Nebraska on September 5 to watch the Huskers take on San Jose State. According to the Texas tackle, if things go well in Lincoln, other trips may not be required.

Euless (Texas) Trinity defensive tackle Siosaia Tuipulotu has nailed down his first official visit of the recruiting process. The 6-foot-2, 285-pound standout will travel to Nebraska on September 5 to watch the Huskers take on San Jose State. According to the Texas tackle, if things go well in Lincoln, other trips may not be required.

Things can change, of course, but with the way everything sounds...put me down for saying he's going to commit following his visit.