Husker Secondary

***SNIP***

2. Martin Rucker (geez I know that's spelled wrong) is gone. The kid could flat out play. He accounted for 35% of the MU offense last year by himself, and he was actually a better blocker than anything! He'll be missed greatly. Everyone keeps saying...no JGS30, Chase Coffeman will fill in and they'll be just fine. Not so, Chase isn't even half the blocker that Martin was and Chase is INJURY prone. He has a bad knee and teams will be gunning for it. He's hurt more often than he actually plays. Don't get me wrong, he is good, but I highly doubt he stays healthy for the entire year.

***SNIP***

I think that you're right - that's a huge loss for the Tigers. The guy was the ultimate safety valve for them.

I also tend to think that Kansas will be a better team than Missouri. Perhaps not in record - Kansas has a crazy tough conference schedule - but still a better team then Missouri. If there is one thing that would tip that balance back to Missouri, it's the bad taste left in their mouth from being slighted in the BCS bowls. If they use that as motivation, then all bets are off. Conversely, if Kansas suffers from the opposite problem - they are "satisfied" with last year's showing - then the same thing happens.

But what really convinces me that Kansas will be the better team is coaching. I respect what Mangino has done. While his record was not stellar, he essentially has built a good team in a situation that was stacked against him. He doesn't make the kind of bone-headed mistakes that Pinkel can make (last year seemed to be an abberation in that regard).

Regardless, Husker fans need to get their heads around the fact that this is a new era. While we fell behind, most of the other North teams have progressed. Kansas is not longer the Kansas we all remember. Damn good team.

Fair enough. Your reasoning is legit, I'll give you that. You know more than I gave you credit for, so I take that statement back. I'm glad you're talking football and giving me reasons why you believe what you believe. I respect that.

Yeah, I know a bit about college football. I read just about anything I can get my hands on, especially if the article has to do with a Big 12 team. So yeah, I have a good idea (in my mind) how each team will do this year based on the players they have, and the schedule they face.

1. Offensive Line- They lost 2, actually 3 if you count the departure of Martin Rutker (god, I always spell his name wrong). The two lineman they lost had combined for over 50 starts. They were rock solid leaders that protected Daniel's backside. After watching their Black & Gold scrimmage it looks as though Chase is under more pressure than usual. It's too early to tell, but if he doesn't have the time to throw like he did last year-he will make mistakes.

The offensive line is probably one of the most important factors when deciding how good an offense is going to be. However, I would argue that the OL for an offense like Mizzou is not as important as it has been in the past. Why? Simple. Because the offensive strategy for Mizzou is to spread the defense out. Alot of what Daniel was doing last year was quick passes. One, two, three, pass. Even if the defense is super quick, not too many defenders are going to be getting at the QB with such quick passes. So, while those two losses suck, I don't think it will effect what Mizzou is trying to do offensively.

2. Martin Rucker (geez I know that's spelled wrong) is gone. The kid could flat out play. He accounted for 35% of the MU offense last year by himself, and he was actually a better blocker than anything! He'll be missed greatly. Everyone keeps saying...no JGS30, Chase Coffeman will fill in and they'll be just fine. Not so, Chase isn't even half the blocker that Martin was and Chase is INJURY prone. He has a bad knee and teams will be gunning for it. He's hurt more often than he actually plays. Don't get me wrong, he is good, but I highly doubt he stays healthy for the entire year.

Rucker is gone, but Coffman is more than capable. It's important to note that Rucker led the team in receptions (84) and was second in term of yardage (834). Therefore, I would argue that while he was put in there to block, alot of the time he was put in there to receive. Coffman will have to stay healthy, but I think the Chase and Chase combination will be better than the Chase and Martin combo.

I'm right with you on the defense. A little above average. William Moore-Safety is a complete stud and their LB's are solid. However, they did lose one of their top linebackers in the offseason due to some disciplinary issues. A 2 year starter actually. That probably won't help. I'm with you on the d-line as well. Good group up front...I can't stand Striker! Mainly because he always seems to play great against Kansas.

I think the Mizzou defense will be slightly above average this season. However, if one of the LBs get injured, they may be in some trouble (not too much depth in that position for the Tigers). However, their offense tends to keep the other team's offense off the field, which is one of the reasons I think the Tigers are so dangerous. Ask me if I would rather have a team that scores fast or a team that systematically breaks down the opponent's D, drives down the field, eats up the clock, and scores...well, I think you know which one I would pick. TOP is an important aspect of the game alot of individuals overlook. My opinion is that - most of the time - if a team controls TOP, they will win the game. So, while Mizzou's defense should be able to do decent against most teams, it's just not as important if their offense is in rhythm.

I say 10-2- With losses at OU and either South Florida or Missouri. KU will beat both Texas schools in Lawrence. The game against MU and KU is a toss up. Oh, and the underdog DOES usually win the game, with last year being the exception. KU beat MU in 2003, 04 and 05 as ubderdogs. MU beat KU in 2006 as the underdog and MU beat KU last year as the favorite. You can't just say one will beat the other. That's why they call it a rivalry game. Anything can happen and usually does. Also, before you hand MU the win this year, keep mind that MU was up 28-7 at halftime and only won 36-28. KU held MU to 1 touchdown in the second half because we made the right adjustments. Don't feed into the argument that MU was playing conservative. That's BS. I watched the game and Pinkel was trying to DESTROY KU. We just made great halftime adjustments and shut them down.

The offense of KU will be good, but the offense of just about every team in the Big 12 will be good. So, I don't really have too much to say about that.

I have a really difficult time believing that KU will only have losses against OU and USF/Mizzou. Kansas has a good team, but with a tougher schedule this season, I just don't see them posting 10 wins. I feel 7 or 8 wins is much more likely.

I remember last season when KU and Mizzou met, all of my friends were giving me crap because I said that Mizzou would win fairly easily. They poked fun at me throughout the Pre-Game show with comments laced with profanity and alot of penis references - all of which would be inappropriate for this board (but still funny). But it was great after the game was over, because I could rub it in their face and tell them, "Told you so." So far, I have this same feeling. I think Mizzou will take this game fairly easily, but we will see...

I also tend to think that Kansas will be a better team than Missouri. Perhaps not in record - Kansas has a crazy tough conference schedule - but still a better team then Missouri. If there is one thing that would tip that balance back to Missouri, it's the bad taste left in their mouth from being slighted in the BCS bowls. If they use that as motivation, then all bets are off. Conversely, if Kansas suffers from the opposite problem - they are "satisfied" with last year's showing - then the same thing happens.

But what really convinces me that Kansas will be the better team is coaching. I respect what Mangino has done. While his record was not stellar, he essentially has built a good team in a situation that was stacked against him. He doesn't make the kind of bone-headed mistakes that Pinkel can make (last year seemed to be an abberation in that regard).

Regardless, Husker fans need to get their heads around the fact that this is a new era. While we fell behind, most of the other North teams have progressed. Kansas is not longer the Kansas we all remember. Damn good team.

Ahhh yes, but let us see how this Kansas team fares against a tougher schedule. If they do well this season, they have my respect. If they have an average season, my thoughts on Kansas - and their 2007 season - will have been correct.

To get back to the question at hand, the problem with the secondary was the same as with the rest of the team...a lack of coaching, motivation, conditioning and desire. I personally feel that both MU and KU will fair worse than last year, but that is not the question.

...alot of penis references - all of which would be inappropriate for this board (but still funny). But it was great after the game was over, because I could rub it in their face

You rubbed your penis in their faces?

You betcha, and you're next! :: looks for smiley face that has a penis rubbing against it, but can't find a smiley :: Damn it!

...alot of penis references - all of which would be inappropriate for this board (but still funny). But it was great after the game was over, because I could rub it in their face

You rubbed your penis in their faces?

:: looks for smiley face that has a penis rubbing against it, but can't find a smiley ::

Try using that picture of your girlfriend's face from the last time I was over for a visit!

(forgive me Lord but that was such a lob!!!)

By the way...did you notice that FEMA bought me a new computer? Your taxpayer dollars in action right there baby!

By the way...did you notice that FEMA bought me a new computer? Your taxpayer dollars in action right there baby!

Hopefully your computer has enough processor speed and RAM so that you can keep the ridiculous posts coming about how Iowa State is actually going to win games this season...

:P:D:lol: