QB Josh Freeman

Benard

thanks KC husker.......i understand the busy part......appreciate the update on Josh and sounds like he had a helluva game! with Beck and him coming along the next couple years, we should be able to concentrate on filling some of the other skill positions that are sorely needed......DB's, OL's, WR's.

hunter

Good point Hunter....thanks for the updates kc.

59% of his passes. Not bad at all. He could be a great one some day. But like almost any other freshman, he will not come in right away and set the world on fire. Look at poor Rhett Bomar -- that guy certainly hasn't been ready to play and has been put in a very difficult situation. Bomar needed a another year of development, but OU has no one else right now. Perhaps that goes to show you that you can't recruit enough at one position?

Josh will get plenty of time to get up to speed given the fact that Beck has a year under his belt when Josh arrives. Taylor will be a senior next year so the depth at QB is getting very much up to par IMO. That is a very good point about Bomar. Makes you wonder what would have been for them if Grady would have stayed.

Ouch..Josh Freeman's team got beat pretty bad last night. They lost 52-13 to Raymore Peculiar

site_logo_340x60.gif

LIFELONG BUDDIES TAKE DIFFERENT SIDES TONIGHT

Friendly rivalry among QBs

Ray-Pec's Coffman, Grandview's Freeman have grown up into Division I prospects

Perhaps the two best quarterbacks in Kansas City are leaning against Josh Freemans truck, busting chops, talking about everything you'd expect of 17-year-old boys.

It's mostly football, but also embarrassing moments and college decisions and video games. Eventually-inevitably-the conversation turns to tonight, when Josh leads Grandview against his best friend, Carson Coffman of Raymore-Peculiar.

Carson says he hopes his friend does well. Josh is asked whether he wishes the same for Carson.

"I don't" he says with a smile. "I want to win."

'Maybe it¡'s just because I know we're going to win,¨ Carson says.

'Ooohhh,' Josh says.

You might know Josh and Carson by reputation. College coaches certainly do.

Josh is 6 feet 6 and 235 pounds, with a right arm stolen from the NFL. He participated in the Elite 11 camp with some of the nations best this summer in California and was Kansas City's most heavily recruited player before committing to Nebraska.

Carson is 6-2 and 180 pounds after a steak dinner, and he relies more on brains than brawn. He quarterbacked the area's only state champion last year, is 19-0 as a starter and is receiving interest from several Division I programs.

They have known each other since before either can remember, the families spending Christmases together and living about 15 minutes apart. Their fathers- both former pro football players- are close friends, and the boys talk on the phone every day.

'Last year they couldn't stop us," Josh insists, despite the 52-14 final score. "We moved the ball great, then we just.."

"Bad throws?" Carson jokes.

No," Josh says. "Bad execution."

Josh Freeman's life is in a bit of an awkward place. He is a giant, bigger than three of his five starting offensive linemen, already bigger physically than NFL stars Tom Brady, Brett Favre and Peyton Manning.

Opposing coaches, including Ray-Pec's Tom Kruse, call him a "man among boys." He is graduating from Grandview early and next semester he will start classes at Nebraska, compete in spring practices.. and celebrate his 18th birthday.

Teresa, Josh's mother, initially didn't like the idea of giving up her baby boy five months early. She has since come around. She knows Josh is ready.

"I feel like I've outgrown high school a little bit," Josh says. "Being a senior's great, but I just feel too old. I'm only 17, but when I go and play teams, it just feels like they're on a lower level. Like it's a JV game or something."

On the other hand, Josh is still a kid. He has a pet ball python named Corby, no real plans for life beyond football and a roomful of recruiting letters and trophies.

He loves the new college football video game, to the point he jokes that one reason he's going to Nebraska early is so he can be in next year's game. For now, he plays with a team he created featuring all his buddies at Grandview.

Josh checks the Internet often to see what people write about him, what pictures are up. He is very much motivated by where he is ranked. Right now, rivals.com has him as Missouri's top prospect and the nation's No. 4 pro-style quarterback.

"I take a lot of pride in that," he says. "I don't like to see anybody better than me. But if I drop off the top 100, I'm not going to go shoot myself or anything."

Josh has been a Nebraska fan ever since Tommie Frazier led the 1995 national champions. As Josh developed into more of a pass-first quarterback, he figured he'd have to look elsewhere. He views the hiring of coach Bill Callahan and a switch to a pass-friendly, West Coast offense as perfect timing.

Oklahoma was among the many schools wanting Josh to switch positions. Coaches there have since reconsidered, and are calling now as often as the rules allow, telling him he's their quarterback of the future.

Josh is sticking with Nebraska, and thinks he'll end up in the NFL. His father, Ron, Grandview's defensive coordinator, played four years in the USFL and had tryouts with the Chiefs and Bills.

"I'm a motivational speaker, and I tell people to dream big dreams, expect what other people don't think is possible," Ron says. "If he believes he can make it to the NFL, he's not the only one who thinks that. He has the physical tools. I think he has the work ethic"

Carson Coffman's awkward spot is a bit different from his friend'.

His father, Paul, played tight end in the NFL for 11 years with the Packers, Chiefs and Vikings. His brother, Chase, is a tight end at Missouri, the Big 12' leading freshman receiver and a rising NFL prospect. Carson, meanwhile, has just one Division I offer so far, from North Texas.

" have faith that big schools will offer," Carson says. "If we win state again this year, I've won that many games as a starting quarterback. They might recruit me because of that."

Carson's record at Ray-Pec is unmatched by any other quarterback in the city. He is undefeated in 19 games as a starter, completing 60 percent of his passes for more than 2,500 yards with 36 touchdowns and five interceptions.

He¡¦s always had talent around him, but consider what Kruse said about the state semifinal game Chase missed because of an injury last year:

"Of the Coffmans, the one we could afford to lose was the one we lost. (Carson) was the most important player on our team last year, and he is again this year. Now, if I'm saying that about Carson with Chase on the team, how good you think Carson is?"

Carson"s personality is made to play quarterback. Running backs Derrick Washington and Thomas Hodges each call Carson their closest teammate. They laugh about his jokes and the stories he makes up.

Carson is level-headed almost without exception. When they were little, on roller-coasters, Chase was the one with his tongue out, hands up, screaming as loud as he could. Carson was the one gripping the handles, leaning with the turns, a facial expression you"d expect to see on a tax attorney.

Amy Coffman describes Carson as detailed and organized, almost to the point of obsession. The other day, he about freaked out when she opened a double-wrapped hamburger in his car.

If someone cuts a weight-room set short, Carson gets on them. He's not the fastest player on the team but often finishes first in post-practice sprints because he doesn't get tired and never slacks off.

Every inch of the walls of Carson's room was covered with pictures from Sports Illustrated until a few weeks ago, when he took them down and painted it Packer green.

Kruse thinks Carson will grow a few more inches, keep adding muscle, until he's about 6-5 and 210 pounds. Then people will get a true glimpse of what Carson is capable of.

"A lot of schools that might be looking at him maybe think because of me that's the only reason he was good last year," Chase says. "But he's showing this year what he's capable of. If he just keeps working hard, doing what he's doing, he definitely has a chance to be a really good college quarterback."

Back to the truck, and did you know Josh lives less than a half-mile from the Ray-Pec district?

"Me and him on the same side," Josh says, "geez, that'd have been crazy"

The thinking is that if Josh were at Ray-Pec, he'd play receiver or fullback and maybe a little defensive end or outside linebacker.

That's how it went growing up, when Josh and Carson played on the same youth teams from fifth grade on. Paul was the coach, and he put Carson at quarterback and Josh at fullback. Said he always wanted his best 11 athletes on the field, and Josh had an easier time playing other positions.ď

Tonight, despite his trash-talking, Josh admits there will be a small part of him rooting for his buddy. Winning is the most important thing, but seeing his friend do well is close behind.

They'll make a bet, something small. Last year it was a McChicken sandwich. The important games start next week, with districts.

After all, every time Josh brings up his stats or national reputation, Carson doesn't even have to say a word. He just raises his hand, palm out, and shows off that state championship ring.

"Man," Josh says, "I gotta get one of those this year."

Link

Game Stats:16 of 35 for 210 yards and  1TD

Season Stats: 112 of 198 for 1912 yards and  22 TD's

56.6% completion percentage will have to improve :thumbs

His comp % took a nose dive from last week's game against RAYMORE and this week. He was hitting 58% before that game. Grandview lost that game 52-13 i think and he hit 45% in this game. Then again, what i heard was that his offensive line got pushed around alot in the game.