Who starts at QB next year?

After Ganz leaves, who will start next year. I personally think Spano, Witt, or maybe even Cody Green.

No one has any real idea as to how to answer this question because not one of the candidates has had a snap in a real D1 game. You failed, for some reason, to put Zack Lee in that grouping --- why, I do not know. But, what can be said is that Lee has a great track record and came in as one of the top JC QB's. Spano was a top 10 HS duel threat QB and Witt, while not highly regarded in HS (or only somewhat) has received accolades regaring his practice performance at NU. So, one of the three, or for that matter I suppose Cody Green as well, will be the guy. Between these guys, NU should find gold --- perhaps multiple gold.

My hope is that whoever among the three that is on top at the end of the fall practices and is considered the # 2 QB going into this season --- whoever that might be --- should play 30% of the snaps this season. The reason --- so as to have some reasonable experience going into the 2010 season. I really do not like the idea of a team rebuilding (NU in 2009) depending exclusively on a senior QB, in this case Ganz). If Ganz gets 90% of the snaps this year then expect the 2010 season under Lee/Spano/Witt) to be compromised, seriously compromised, compared to if Lee/Spano/Witt get say 30% or more of the snaps this season.

The Huskers are unlikely to do much in terms of competing for a championship in 2009 (B12 North) no matter who is at QB --- but in 2010 they might --- it just is that their ability to compete for a title in 2010 will depend (along with an array of other things) heavily on the QB --- so, get that QB ready this year. This will be an early indicator of the Pelini coaching philosophy --- is he short-term thinking or does he have a longterm sustained plan?

You can't really put Cody Green into the picture yet...I mean, until he signs the LOI. Sure he says he is solid in his decision, but so did Blaine Gabbert. Gabbert even said something like, "I'm not going to pull a Freeman."

That being said, I think Zac Lee will get the chance next season. Even if Green stays solid this season, I still say they redshirt him to get the playbook sunk in...maybe run the scout team or something.

Pelini quote after the Spring Game:

On the race for the No. 2 spot on the depth chart

“Patrick Witt is probably a little bit ahead of Zac Lee, but Zac Lee does a lot of good things. I don’t put as much stock in today as what I’ve seen in the last 14 practices. Tonight what I see is both of them getting better and developing. They’re different athletes, and they have some different strengths and weaknesses. But they’re both good football players who are growing in the system and working with Coach Watson every day. I see them getting better, and I really feel good about the quarterback position now and in the future.”

QA with Pelini after Spring Game