NU hopes for smooth transition

hack

zomg, LINK!

NU hopes for smooth transition under Pelini

New coach retained some assistants, kept same offense

By Kyle Ringo (Contact)

Friday, July 25, 2008

KANSAS CITY, Mo. --- We might have already seen one of the best coaching decisions of the 2008 college football season.

There are bound to be some bumps in the road this season for the Nebraska football team under new head coach Bo Pelini, but this transition won't be nearly as dramatic as the last go-around.

When Bill Callahan moved to Lincoln four years ago from life in the National Football League, he pulled the plug on one of the legendary systems the game has seen. He switched from the power running attack that kept the Cornhuskers on top for most of four decades to his version of the West Coast offense.

Pelini derailed any similar sea change last winter when he chose to retain several of Callahan's offensive assistant coaches, including offensive coordinator Shawn Watson. The continuity that decision created figures to put the Cornhuskers in the mix immediately in the Big 12 North Division this fall.

"Everything from the mental side is a review for us," senior offensive lineman Matt Slauson said. "Our playbook hasn't changed. A little bit of the terminology has, but really it's the same stuff."

Nebraska's problems last year were almost entirely defense-oriented. The Cornhuskers finished the year ranked ninth nationally in total offense and 28th in scoring offense, averaging 33 points per game. They just couldn't keep opponents out of the end zone.

Big Red scored more than 30 points seven times in 2007 but lost three of those games. They scored at least 39 points in each of their final three games when Joe Ganz took over as the regular starting quarterback but lost twice in that stretch.

Ganz proved to be a playmaker, despite some critical errors along the way. His second half interception returned for a touchdown by Jimmy Smith in Boulder turned the momentum in Colorado's favor, but Ganz never quit. The Buffs won a shootout 65-51 and went on to a bowl game while the Cornhuskers went home.

If Nebraska had anything resembling a competent defense in the game, the Buffs might have watched the bowl season on their couches for the second straight year.

Ganz didn't have to spend the entire offseason learning a new playbook, signals and calls. He was able to focus on improving his weaknesses and expanding his understanding of everything Watson wants to do.

Ganz said the experience gained from starting the final three games will be invaluable this year because he learned important lessons down the stretch in 2007. He said there were several games in which he tried to make plays that weren't there to be had instead of taking what was available.

"Coming into my senior year, I should be a lot more mature," Ganz said.

Pelini always has been a defensive coach, spending time with three different NFL franchises as well as jobs at Iowa, Oklahoma and Nebraska. He said keeping Watson's offense in place helped him quickly understand what his team will be doing because much of the terminology is the same as what was used by the San Francisco 49ers and Green Bay Packers when he worked for those organizations.

While the offense has it easy when training camp opens next month, the defense will be completely overhauled. That might cause some problems early in the year, but how could the defense be any worse that last year when it allowed Kansas to score 76 points?

"We've kind of put the shoe on the other foot now," Pelini said. "I'd rather it be that way because I knew we had a lot of work to do on defense, and a lot to build there and a lot of teaching to do.

"You know, having coach Watson and knowing the offense is in good hands and having some continuity and having the players hearing the same things --- for the older kids three or four years in a row --- is going to help us. I didn't want have to re-do both sides of the football."

I think it was a damn smart move for Pelini to retain Watson.

same here, if he was gone , and a new guy came in, and a whole different offense is coming in, and trust me its hard to pick up a new offense after learning it for 2 years then switching over, so imagune having 3-4 years of learning then all of that going to waste and u have to pick up a new offense...also i think if watson doesnt do a good job i think hell be gone this year OR we are recruiting players for our next offensive system....

I think Watson was retained because TO likes him, and let's be frank how many times last year did we really see Watson call plays? I can only remember 2 halves in which we did play pretty well. I still say though that we're destined to run the spread rather than the WCO in years to come.

I don't know why but I always had a good feeling about Watson and felt like Callahan never really let him break out and do what he could do. Maybe Callahan was worried about Watson showing him up play calling wise, who knows.....Anyways I was thrilled to hear Watson was retained and I would not be surprised if he became the next big assistant coach to be talked about for a head coaching spot in a couple years.

I also agree that to change the defense and offense in one season is a very very hard thing to do. We would've plunged to the bottom of the North this next season and the defense was the obvious problem anyways. I hope that Watson will make the most of this opportunity and show us all that Callahan was more of a moron than we all thought.

I don't know why but I always had a good feeling about Watson and felt like Callahan never really let him break out and do what he could do. Maybe Callahan was worried about Watson showing him up play calling wise, who knows.....Anyways I was thrilled to hear Watson was retained and I would not be surprised if he became the next big assistant coach to be talked about for a head coaching spot in a couple years.

Callahan was your classic micro manager that really didn't trust anyone except for Coz.

Callahan was your classic micro manager that really didn't trust anyone except for Coz.

Watson's offense as CU was simpler and was power based (OT runs), add in some option, more formations with a little zone read from the spread and we are ready to roll! Chris Brown kille NU and UT, running the same play over and over, the power (double DE/ILB, FB-KOs EMOL, BSG pulls and leads runner). Was main play for Miami vs NU in Rose Bowl game, and USC used to run it with Lendale White. Great off-tackle running game! Companion weakside play, the tite toss, ran to perfection at Lamar Consolidated (Rosenberg, TX) by Jacquizz Rodgers!

smart for pelini, but i'm thinking osborne had a hand in keeping watson. bo may know defense, but TO could write books about offensive play calling. after watching the bluebonnet bowl from '76, what struck me was how much much osborne used like to air it out... and i couldn't help but be reminded of the offense that nebraska runs now.

my opinion? i think osborne sees quite a bit of himself in watson and likes what he sees. so when bo came back to lincoln, i'm thinking TO put a good word watson not just for the sake of continuity but because he honestly believes that watson is the right man for the job.

pure speculation on my part. take it for what its worth.

smart for pelini, but i'm thinking osborne had a hand in keeping watson. bo may know defense, but TO could write books about offensive play calling. after watching the bluebonnet bowl from '76, what struck me was how much much osborne used like to air it out... and i couldn't help but be reminded of the offense that nebraska runs now.

my opinion? i think osborne sees quite a bit of himself in watson and likes what he sees. so when bo came back to lincoln, i'm thinking TO put a good word watson not just for the sake of continuity but because he honestly believes that watson is the right man for the job.

pure speculation on my part. take it for what its worth.

that all makes sense, i mean if osbornse sees a little of himself in watson..look how T.O. did coaching, watson is the right choice for the offense, lke someone said, dont fix what aint broke

Although our offense wasn't bad by any means last year, i certainly wouldn't say it was perfect. We had our games against Missouri, Okie State, and Texas A&M where for the most part we couldn't move the ball at ALL offensively.

We weren't exactly terribly competent in the Wake Forest game either. Nor USC for the first 3.5 quarters, until they put in a 2nd string prevent defense.

I don't know where all this "our offense is really good" thinking is coming from. It had it's good moments, just like in '06, but it was inconsistent and couldn't put up the numbers when it mattered (most of the time).

However, I remember in the A&M game Watson was given the reigns for a while and we were moving the ball and kept it close, then Callahan yanked the chains away and the result was the final score.

Although our offense wasn't bad by any means last year, i certainly wouldn't say it was perfect. We had our games against Missouri, Okie State, and Texas A&M where for the most part we couldn't move the ball at ALL offensively.

We weren't exactly terribly competent in the Wake Forest game either. Nor USC for the first 3.5 quarters, until they put in a 2nd string prevent defense.

I don't know where all this "our offense is really good" thinking is coming from. It had it's good moments, just like in '06, but it was inconsistent and couldn't put up the numbers when it mattered (most of the time).

However, I remember in the A&M game Watson was given the reigns for a while and we were moving the ball and kept it close, then Callahan yanked the chains away and the result was the final score.

ya i think Callahan had a problem seeing someone else calling the plays and having success, when he was suppose to be the offensive guru