Kevin Dixon

Yeah, while I thought Dixon would make a great backup DT, if Pelini ousted him off the team there is a good reason for it.

All part of installing his coaching staff's principles and standards. We need kids that want to be here at Nebraska doing the right things.

I agree and I have no problem with him being hard-nosed about this. We started having some problems a few seasons ago and last season and I'm glad to see that it is being headed off.

LJS mentioned something about him getting arrested for less than 1 oz of pot. Pleaded not guilty.

well, i like the fact that pelini isn't messing around with stuff like this, but I do have to wonder, less than a ounce of pot is an immediate removal but multiple drunk drivings isn't?

I was just going to reply that this removal was probably for recreational drugs, and also comparing it to alcohol/DUIs.

I bet the thinking is that pot is illegal for EVERYBODY - and that there might be the possibility of getting into dealing, etc. That's bad press.

Of course, (possible) motor vehicle homicide under the influence ain't so good either.

From journalstar.com:

Dixon cited twice by UNL Police in July

Husker senior defensive tackle Kevin Dixon has been dismissed and Bo Pelini didn't go into specifics.

But according to court records, Dixon was cited twice by UNL Police during the month on July.

At 12:30 a.m. on July 13, a UNL Police officer stopped a green Buick in the area of 19th and P streets for improper license plates, said Capt. Carl Oestmann.

A small bag of marijuana allegedly was found in the car, Oestmann said. The driver, Lisa Iznaga, 25, and Dixon, who was a passenger, were cited on suspicion of possession of less than one ounce of marijuana, Oestmann said.

Dixon since has pleaded not guilty to the charge and is set for trial Aug. 15.

On July 4, UNL police allegedly caught Dixon urinating in public near Andersen Hall, Oestmann said. Dixon was cited on suspicion of littering.

Prosecuters charged Dixon with littering for the act on July 24, but the case was dismissed to pre-trial diversion.

Well, hopefully there is more to it than a simple misdemeanor possession less than 1 oz. IMHO that's a far less serious charge than DUI... and is normally dealt with with a small fine.. whereas a DUI often carries a jail sentence.

I say hopefully because I have always hated the double-standard with alcohol offenses. They get covered up and excused far too often. I'd MUCH rather have a kid smoking some pot in his dorm room than out driving drunk. Though neither should be acceptable behavior for a scholarship athlete.

I don't think Pelini is the kind of guy that will cover up for some players and not others.. though it's possible he just has zero tolerance for drug use, and if there is then you can guarantee that the players know it and Dixon was definitely playing with fire trying to get away with it and deserves the punishment absolutely. But, I suspect there is more to it.. probably other off the field issues, attitude, etc.

But I have to admit I am disappointed with this as I had some high hopes for Dixon. I thought he had the potential to be a solid starter by the end of the year. Though he was not proven so.. we'll never know I guess!