WR Josh Gordon

I understand what you are saying but all the receivers you mentioned in the nfl are physical freaks. Our most talented receiver in 30 years didnt get drafted at all. My point is for the most part we havent brought in guys that are 6'4 and run a 4.4 or even a legit 4.5. It seems the guys we are getting are 6'4 guys that run a legit 4.6 who are diamonds in the rough. I would rather have a tall guy like Gordon and then the rest be guys that are more speed receivers, but if they're 6'3 then thats icing on the cake. But I agree that I would rather have a guy who is 6'4 and run a 4.4 than a guy who is 6' and run a 4.4.

Whom are you claiming was the most talented? I would vote for Irvin Fryar and he certainly got drafted and had a good career.

Caveman:

If by legit you mean an electronic 4.4 forty... well on that basis, taken collectively I'd guess that less than 15-20% (at best) of the DB,WR and RB in the NFL meet that criteria. As for a a 6'4" guy running a certifiable, legit electronic 4.4 forty --- that is almost never seen. Are there 3 guys in the NFL who meet that criteria? Maybe. But if so, that is about it. Such is a very, very, very rare thing.

The guys that are labeled as 4.4 in college when they get to combines typically run a 4.55 or so. Those who we label as 4.6 in college run more typically 4.75 or so in reality.

My point is that most forty yard dash numbers are bunk. Usain Bolt, the worlds fastest man they estimate (on the basis of his sprints at longer range) runs a mid 4.2 electronically.

No I was just asking whom huskers1 thought was the most talent receiver for NU in the last 30 years was that apparantly didn't get drafted. Was only pointing out that he was overlooking Fryar. Anyway, thank you for the informaiton. The information on how fast someone really is, hand timed vs. electronic, etc. always fascinates me. Everyone always talks about 4.4 40 guys when in reality it appears that is very rare commodity indeed.

I understand what you are saying but all the receivers you mentioned in the nfl are physical freaks. Our most talented receiver in 30 years didnt get drafted at all. My point is for the most part we havent brought in guys that are 6'4 and run a 4.4 or even a legit 4.5. It seems the guys we are getting are 6'4 guys that run a legit 4.6 who are diamonds in the rough. I would rather have a tall guy like Gordon and then the rest be guys that are more speed receivers, but if they're 6'3 then thats icing on the cake. But I agree that I would rather have a guy who is 6'4 and run a 4.4 than a guy who is 6' and run a 4.4.

Whom are you claiming was the most talented? I would vote for Irvin Fryar and he certainly got drafted and had a good career.

Caveman:

If by legit you mean an electronic 4.4 forty... well on that basis, taken collectively I'd guess that less than 15-20% (at best) of the DB,WR and RB in the NFL meet that criteria. As for a a 6'4" guy running a certifiable, legit electronic 4.4 forty --- that is almost never seen. Are there 3 guys in the NFL who meet that criteria? Maybe. But if so, that is about it. Such is a very, very, very rare thing.

The guys that are labeled as 4.4 in college when they get to combines typically run a 4.55 or so. Those who we label as 4.6 in college run more typically 4.75 or so in reality.

My point is that most forty yard dash numbers are bunk. Usain Bolt, the worlds fastest man they estimate (on the basis of his sprints at longer range) runs a mid 4.2 electronically.

That goes to show you what a freak of nature Taylor Mays from USC is. 6'3 an electronic 4.2 and a verticle of 41 inches.

Are those really his measurables? Wow. hard to believe. His electronic 4.2 must be like a 4.29 or 4.28 or so, right? Otherwise, he could be one of the 10 or so fastest track athletes on the planet. Perhaps he is. if so, impressive.

I checked again, and it says he runs a 4.32 electronic at 6'3 230 with 6% bodyfat and a 11'4 standing long jump. He plays safety and just knocks the crap out of people. I can't belive he stayed in school

Those are awesome measurables. I believe I read that Usain Bolts theoretical forty would be a 4.24 or 4.25. That makes Mays sensationally fast for a any human being and almost absurdly fast for a (comparatively) large human being.

Back to the point about reported 4o yard dash times --- a true 4.4 is butt kicking fast and few football players HS, college or even NFL have that kind of speed. That said, many claim it. A safe correction factor is to add about .15 to .2. Most reported 4.4's are really 4.55 or 4.6 --- which is still fast!

My rule of thumb on recruits is not to even look at their reported 40's because one can never tell if it is accurate or not. So Recruit A reports a fallacious 4.4 and Recruit B reports a real 4.52 --- recruit B is every bit as track fast (if not faster) and track speed does not necessarily relate to football speed anyway. So --- ignore the 40 yeard dash numbers entirely.

The 40 quoted tends to be the player's best time ever, that could've involved timer-error. The electronic Neb used to use made a big difference, added a good .1 or more to the times. 4.4 was rare, I know Ahman Green could run one.

As far as Josh Gordon goes that appears to be just internet rumor-mill. Oh well, it got things going for a bit. With Bell in our wr-need has gone down anyway.

The 40 quoted tends to be the player's best time ever, that could've involved timer-error. The electronic Neb used to use made a big difference, added a good .1 or more to the times. 4.4 was rare, I know Ahman Green could run one.

As far as Josh Gordon goes that appears to be just internet rumor-mill. Oh well, it got things going for a bit. With Bell in our wr-need has gone down anyway.

Agree that with Bell in that helps. Gotta like Bell's attitude of getting things done to get here. Wearing the red "N" seemingly was important to him --- enough to really get things together. His sticking to his commitment is a positive testimony of who he is. hopefully he'll be a good player.

Oh man I really wanted another reciever

At this point, the coaches aren't gonna take a guy just to take one. Unless they see a guy who they really like, they are better suited to save the scholly for next year. Better shot with someone else and it helps even out scholly numbers year to year since we will be so small on numbers next cycle.