WR Josh Gordon

I dont know who said it above, but I dont think all big receivers is the way to go. If you look at any power across college football they have the receivers who are about 6 foot and are fast as hell. Florida maybe has one big receiver, oklahoma has a big tight end, usc has one big receiver who plays, texas has shipley and cosby. Now there probably are the exceptions for some teams but for the most part the powers put speed on the field at all positions. Like I said I would be extremely excited to have this guy bc I think it helps to have one big wide receiver for mismatch issues but for the most part I would like to have guys that are about 6 foot and have the ability to stretch the field, take the hitch make a guy miss and take it the distance.

I would've liked a smaller guy with breakaway speed as-well(provided the rumor-machine is correct here). Hopefully we can get some of that out of Bell, Marlowe, or Cooper. It would be a definite plus if we could get Kildow to walk-on. At his size he wouldn't really be a fly-pattern guy but would give us a quick as hell slotback. But we have had success with big targets before and Gordon seems like a solid receiver, this certainly isn't a reach anyway.

I dont know who said it above, but I dont think all big receivers is the way to go. If you look at any power across college football they have the receivers who are about 6 foot and are fast as hell. Florida maybe has one big receiver, oklahoma has a big tight end, usc has one big receiver who plays, texas has shipley and cosby. Now there probably are the exceptions for some teams but for the most part the powers put speed on the field at all positions. Like I said I would be extremely excited to have this guy bc I think it helps to have one big wide receiver for mismatch issues but for the most part I would like to have guys that are about 6 foot and have the ability to stretch the field, take the hitch make a guy miss and take it the distance.

I agree totally. NU is playing a passing offense with ball control/option based blocking receivers. When they go up against speed corners, see Clemson, Oklahoma etc they get shut down.

BUTTTT, maybe we're seeing a transition to the spread option based running attack where big, tall receivers would be an asset in blocking. I can hope can't I??

The thing with Watson/Gilmore is they may have it in their heads that the passing success they had at CU involved big WR's, McCoy and Hackett, and that's the only way to go.

For the record I don't think any North team can win the conference playing the passing game.

It sounds like I am one of the few that actually likes the offense we ran last year. I didnt like the offense cally ran and if we went to anymore of the zone read it would be verging on west virginias offense which I really dont like bc it becomes too one dimensional. With the offense we have now we have so many different angles that we can come at. We mix in the zone read, west coast passing, stretch, counters, options, spread passing game and many more that I probably dont know about. I hope we arent verging on changing the offense too much or at all.

I am in favor of a spread coast attack myself, if there is such a thing. WC and Spread. It just gives us so many ways to attack the other D... we can spread them out n run it up the gut/to the edge/throw... and if we need to, we should be able to I formation it up and get a few crucial yards running behind the big uglies. That being said, I would love to see more small speed receivers added to the mix. Curenski, Marlowe, Bell (who from all accounts is very underrated... could be special) and yeah Kildow could all be those guys. It'd be nice for us to have our own lil Desean Jackson runnin around.

I certainly didn't mean that you have to have an army of WR over 6'3" to be effective, just that if you look at the top WR in the NFL, they fit that mold (Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Boldin, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall). Yet, there are extremely effective WR who are not that big receiver also (Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Roddy White). I guess ideally you would have all of your bases covered there. Given the choice though, I'd rather have Fitzgerald than Welker. Y'know?

I understand what you are saying but all the receivers you mentioned in the nfl are physical freaks. Our most talented receiver in 30 years didnt get drafted at all. My point is for the most part we havent brought in guys that are 6'4 and run a 4.4 or even a legit 4.5. It seems the guys we are getting are 6'4 guys that run a legit 4.6 who are diamonds in the rough. I would rather have a tall guy like Gordon and then the rest be guys that are more speed receivers, but if they're 6'3 then thats icing on the cake. But I agree that I would rather have a guy who is 6'4 and run a 4.4 than a guy who is 6' and run a 4.4.

I understand what you are saying but all the receivers you mentioned in the nfl are physical freaks. Our most talented receiver in 30 years didnt get drafted at all. My point is for the most part we havent brought in guys that are 6'4 and run a 4.4 or even a legit 4.5. It seems the guys we are getting are 6'4 guys that run a legit 4.6 who are diamonds in the rough. I would rather have a tall guy like Gordon and then the rest be guys that are more speed receivers, but if they're 6'3 then thats icing on the cake. But I agree that I would rather have a guy who is 6'4 and run a 4.4 than a guy who is 6' and run a 4.4.

Whom are you claiming was the most talented? I would vote for Irvin Fryar and he certainly got drafted and had a good career.

I would've liked a smaller guy with breakaway speed as-well(provided the rumor-machine is correct here). Hopefully we can get some of that out of Bell, Marlowe, or Cooper. It would be a definite plus if we could get Kildow to walk-on. At his size he wouldn't really be a fly-pattern guy but would give us a quick as hell slotback. But we have had success with big targets before and Gordon seems like a solid receiver, this certainly isn't a reach anyway.

:yeah

FYI WR Quan Cosby formerly of Texas just measured in at 5'9" at the Senior Bowl. (Yeah, that's 2" shorter than his listed height.) You might remember him scoring the winning touchdown in the Fiesta Bowl on a quick slant.

Whom are you claiming was the most talented? I would vote for Irvin Fryar and he certainly got drafted and had a good career.

Caveman:

If by legit you mean an electronic 4.4 forty... well on that basis, taken collectively I'd guess that less than 15-20% (at best) of the DB,WR and RB in the NFL meet that criteria. As for a a 6'4" guy running a certifiable, legit electronic 4.4 forty --- that is almost never seen. Are there 3 guys in the NFL who meet that criteria? Maybe. But if so, that is about it. Such is a very, very, very rare thing.

The guys that are labeled as 4.4 in college when they get to combines typically run a 4.55 or so. Those who we label as 4.6 in college run more typically 4.75 or so in reality.

My point is that most forty yard dash numbers are bunk. Usain Bolt, the worlds fastest man they estimate (on the basis of his sprints at longer range) runs a mid 4.2 electronically.

Caveman:

If by legit you mean an electronic 4.4 forty... well on that basis, taken collectively I'd guess that less than 15-20% (at best) of the DB,WR and RB in the NFL meet that criteria. As for a a 6'4" guy running a certifiable, legit electronic 4.4 forty --- that is almost never seen. Are there 3 guys in the NFL who meet that criteria? Maybe. But if so, that is about it. Such is a very, very, very rare thing.

The guys that are labeled as 4.4 in college when they get to combines typically run a 4.55 or so. Those who we label as 4.6 in college run more typically 4.75 or so in reality.

My point is that most forty yard dash numbers are bunk. Usain Bolt, the worlds fastest man they estimate (on the basis of his sprints at longer range) runs a mid 4.2 electronically.

That goes to show you what a freak of nature Taylor Mays from USC is. 6'3 an electronic 4.2 and a verticle of 41 inches.

Caveman:

That goes to show you what a freak of nature Taylor Mays from USC is. 6'3 an electronic 4.2 and a verticle of 41 inches.

Are those really his measurables? Wow. hard to believe. His electronic 4.2 must be like a 4.29 or 4.28 or so, right? Otherwise, he could be one of the 10 or so fastest track athletes on the planet. Perhaps he is. if so, impressive.

Caveman:

Are those really his measurables? Wow. hard to believe. His electronic 4.2 must be like a 4.29 or 4.28 or so, right? Otherwise, he could be one of the 10 or so fastest track athletes on the planet. Perhaps he is. if so, impressive.

I checked again, and it says he runs a 4.32 electronic at 6'3 230 with 6% bodyfat and a 11'4 standing long jump. He plays safety and just knocks the crap out of people. I can't belive he stayed in school