Fear Texas Tech

Coming from an alum of a school from the Southwest Conference, let me tell you a little history on Texas Tech...

Since 1955, they haven't won an outright conference championship. The last outright conference title they won came that year (1955) when they won the "Border Conference".

They shared just two SWC championships. They never won an outright conference title in the SWC.

In order for me, or anyone, to ever choose them to achieve greatness, they will actually have to show it for once.

With that said, I don't think they will do it this year. And if they can't win the conference this year, they never will. This is by far the best team they have ever fielded.

Unfortunately for them, they have OU IN Norman. If they somehow don't find a way to choke it off before then, they will in this game.

:moreinteresting

Wasn't last year "the team"...and the year before that...and the year befo...? Well, you get the picture.

Coming from an alum of a school from the Southwest Conference, let me tell you a little history on Texas Tech...

Since 1955, they haven't won an outright conference championship. The last outright conference title they won came that year (1955) when they won the "Border Conference".

They shared just two SWC championships. They never won an outright conference title in the SWC.

In order for me, or anyone, to ever choose them to achieve greatness, they will actually have to show it for once.

With that said, I don't think they will do it this year. And if they can't win the conference this year, they never will. This is by far the best team they have ever fielded.

Unfortunately for them, they have OU IN Norman. If they somehow don't find a way to choke it off before then, they will in this game.

:moreinteresting

Wasn't last year "the team"...and the year before that...and the year befo...? Well, you get the picture.

That's just from what Tech fans say. It's always going to be their year according to them. It's just never been their year.

Well, this is truly their year. If it doesn't happen this year, IT NEVER WILL.

I really can't figure out why people don't think that our defense will be improved this year. I know that we can't expect miracles but I didn't expect that in 2003 either. Do people really think that the NU defense won't be any better this year than last? I was thinking that it will be a good game just for that very reason. We will be able hold them to a few less scores (I hope anyway) and we know that our offense is able to score. I think that it will be a really good game.IMO

I really can't figure out why people don't think that our defense will be improved this year. I know that we can't expect miracles but I didn't expect that in 2003 either. Do people really think that the NU defense won't be any better this year than last? I was thinking that it will be a good game just for that very reason. We will be able hold them to a few less scores (I hope anyway) and we know that our offense is able to score. I think that it will be a really good game.IMO

No sarcasm intended: The Nebraska defense can hardly NOT be better than last year, since it was almost the worst in the country. It was astounding the number of points allowed. Any improvement at all and they're at least SOMEWHAT better.

Texas Tech has come a long way since the inception of the Big 12...they used to be kind of the KSU of the southern division...not quite like Baylor or Iowa State, but almost that bad. Parity has reared it's ugly head once again and made a team that stunk the place up a contender. The NCAA should be very happy with itself.

I don't think you can call this a parity issue. Most of the kids were passed over by everyone else. They seem to be near by kids that want to play close to home. It is very different, or it seems to me when I am there.

I hope to go to the game, I went to the 70-10 deal. I was amazed at how nice their fans were. But by the time it was over I was laughing to, nothing else to do, it was terrible.

This is a very talented team. That when hitting on all cyclinders is almost impossible to stop.

Most here are saying we will have an improved running game. We shall see on that, but if we do, we have a chance. If the Oline gets shoved around like last year, we have real problems playing with this team.

Better coaching should help, but Bo did not fair well before when he faced tough competition. This game and the two before, will be tough nuts to crack to say the least.

Texas Tech is a strange pearl of a team in a vast ocean of already-taken talent. Most of their players are pretty local, most-times picked over by the Horns and Aggies, but Leach knows who he wants, and he knows how to turn them into passing gurus. As much as I hate to say it, the guy has quietly created a force to be reckoned with out there on the flatlands of West Texas.

It's gonna be a tough one, but first off, I think Watson knows he definitely can't do what Callahan did 4 years ago, and Pelini is almost an opposite to Cozgrove. Our offense will be different. The Blackshirts will definitely be different. So, I'd say the outcome will be different, whether we win or not.

If I were coach, I'd do a lot of what people are saying here. Pound the rock, maybe stretch it with some zone reads/options under center and out of the gun. Just mix it up with jet sweeps out of the Bronco bunch, counters and iso's (capitalizing on Cotton's blocking schemes), not to mention hitting Lucky/Castille/Helu out in the flats.

I'd just nickel and dime as much as I could to keep Harrell, Crabtree and Co. off the field. Then, when they get ansy and stick 8 in the box or try to blitz too much, let Ganz pull the trigger on a deep one to Gilleylen/Holt/Swift/Peterson - see what happens.

I just think we bring a whole different set of weapons offensively than we did in '04 (most notably - back-up QB). New Tech DC or not, we SHOULD be able to move the ball on these Dead Raiders.

Defensively, a pass rush is important, but smart LB play is just as integral. There's one play, a doube drag play out of a 4-wide that's their bread and butter that basically has the QB reading where the LB's go to find those empty spaces between them for their Y and slot receivers. Very hard to stop without smart LB's that put themselves in position to make a play instead of taking themselves out it. We should really watch TCU film, because they shut Tech down the whole game, as did Mizzou.

Most of all, I just want to see HEART and FIRE from the Blackshirts. Go out there and make those Texas boys sorry you ever came!

wouldn't it be great that say ganz gets hurt for the game(nothing big but something they pull him from the game for) and davis goes in there and lays 70 on tech? come on who doesn't want to see that?

No sarcasm intended: The Nebraska defense can hardly NOT be better than last year, since it was almost the worst in the country. It was astounding the number of points allowed. Any improvement at all and they're at least SOMEWHAT better.

You know husker fans makeing fun of husker defence is one thing but a mizzu fan taking jabs at it seems alittle wrong <_< . But needless to say you are right. We can only go up from here

I work with the father of the running back coach at Texas Tech (Seth Littrell) and i have told him to tell seth to take it easy on us ;) I've heard wonderful stories about Mike Leach and how they have a very close coaching staff. He knows im 100% husker but me and his dad get along fine.

FYI, the father won 2 national championship rings at OU...Seth won 1... So its not bad to hear old stories about NU ok, switzer vs osborne from a person who played on the field.

Anyway i think Tech is gonna be very very good..but i just have a feeling that bo knows how to defend the spread offense...

I'll be glad to share whatever info his dad gives me about TT is doing if anyone cares... I look forward to a great husker year

GO BIG RED

I don't know, the comments about Osborne and the early 90's that trev alberts made might be somewhat correct in my opinion because osborne went for faster players in the early 90's to compete with miami / flordia and it seems as though bo is having every player cut weight to increase their speed.. If you are faster than the guy you're defending / running a route against you can make up for a few small mistakes in a play / technique because you're not going to get blown wide open. College still isn't the pros but it isn't high school, but speed can make up for a lot of mistakes, a buffer if you will.

I don't know, the comments about Osborne and the early 90's that trev alberts made might be somewhat correct in my opinion because osborne went for faster players in the early 90's to compete with miami / flordia and it seems as though bo is having every player cut weight to increase their speed.. If you are faster than the guy you're defending / running a route against you can make up for a few small mistakes in a play / technique because you're not going to get blown wide open. College still isn't the pros but it isn't high school, but speed can make up for a lot of mistakes, a buffer if you will.

SI had an article about defending the spread and mentioned speed on D as a critical factor (duh). Anyway, teams are going to smaller, faster DEs that can disrupt the QB's timing and pursue on the underneath stuff. Hopefully it will lead to fewer plays where it looked like the defenders were just watching guys run past them.