How to convert a non-Husker fan to be a Husker fan

I've been dating my girlfriend for about five months now and she's about to see a whole new side of me once the season starts. I've been warning her for several months now that I'll be kind of MIA on Saturday's since I'm traveling up to Lincoln for the home games and that I need at least 4 hours in front of the TV/radio on away games. And during those times I will be full of a mix of emotions. She's one of the many women out there that don't understand that Husker football is more than just "a game." I've tried to explain to her the tradition that goes along with it. How it's been a part of my family for years and it's more than just "a game"...but she doesn't seem to understand. We had quite the argument when I told her that her company Christmas party might fall on the Big XII championship game and if Nebraska gets to go I might not be able to come to it. So far that's only been the worst of the arguments.

I've been thinking that if only I could convert her that maybe she'd start to see it from my side of things and enjoy it with me. I've got us tickets to the MU game this year, but that might have been a mistake. I picked it because she's from Missouri and it's the only thing she can relate to since everyone she knew growing up liked MU. She's said she'll probably wear black and gold to the game and support MU even though she doesn't have a strong affiliation with them. She said if it was any other game she'd wear red though (I'm thinking of buying a Husker shirt for her and asking her to wear it anyway).

I keep hoping she'll go to one home game, see everything we get to live through all the time...and then automatically be a die hard fan. Any stories or advice from anyone here that may have swayed their significant others into being a Husker fan?

:power

Maybe start off with a game that isn't a missouri game so she can see that wearing black and gold to the MU game would just make her feel like the awkward kid in elementary school with a bad haircut... my 2 cents.. take her to a blow out game imo, like new mex or something first. Can never attend too many husker games in one season.

In terms of the christmas party, I mean you don't need to stay for more than an hour, and I cant imagine it would be in the middle of the game? Show up early or late or show up during half time.. and make sure you have ESPN sending texts to your phone so you get up to the minute updates while you're there getting trashed off someone else's booze before returning to the game.

I've been dating my girlfriend for about five months now and she's about to see a whole new side of me once the season starts. I've been warning her for several months now that I'll be kind of MIA on Saturday's since I'm traveling up to Lincoln for the home games and that I need at least 4 hours in front of the TV/radio on away games. And during those times I will be full of a mix of emotions. She's one of the many women out there that don't understand that Husker football is more than just "a game." I've tried to explain to her the tradition that goes along with it. How it's been a part of my family for years and it's more than just "a game"...but she doesn't seem to understand. We had quite the argument when I told her that her company Christmas party might fall on the Big XII championship game and if Nebraska gets to go I might not be able to come to it. So far that's only been the worst of the arguments.

I've been thinking that if only I could convert her that maybe she'd start to see it from my side of things and enjoy it with me. I've got us tickets to the MU game this year, but that might have been a mistake. I picked it because she's from Missouri and it's the only thing she can relate to since everyone she knew growing up liked MU. She's said she'll probably wear black and gold to the game and support MU even though she doesn't have a strong affiliation with them. She said if it was any other game she'd wear red though (I'm thinking of buying a Husker shirt for her and asking her to wear it anyway).

I keep hoping she'll go to one home game, see everything we get to live through all the time...and then automatically be a die hard fan. Any stories or advice from anyone here that may have swayed their significant others into being a Husker fan?

:power

you cant force the "die hard' thing. But you can make her atleast a casual fan. I did this with my wife with the Chiefs and MU. For my wife it was getting her to a game with a bunch of our mutual friends. We did the tailgating, drinking and cheering. She came around slowly . But after her 3rd game and about 2 years into the 'conversion project' she started to ask for her own gear. She wanted hats, jerseys, had favorite players the whole bit. My wife had no real knowledge about the sport. We started with first downs and grew from there. over the last 7 years from girlfriend to wife she has come to be a fan and even spent 30 mins last thursday before the Chiefs preseason opener discussing the new offensive strategy for this years team. And she was more excited about Mizzou on the cover of SI than I was.

I will say this though, you have to learn to compramise with her.

Well I have been married for 5 years, and she is a casual fan....she understands that it is a way of life for me. i took her to a game 2 years back...now this year i didnt think she would want to go. however she wanted to....so maybe there is hope.

her dad went to USC so i have to deal with that.

I know where you are coming from. I've had a girlfriend from Iowa for 4 months now (die hard Hawkeye fan). I told her she is going to see a totally different side of me once Aug. 30th rolls around. But she did say she would go to a game with me and even wear a Husker shirt if I give her one. So it will be interesting to see how it goes since I will pay no attention to her on Saturdays once the season starts.

What town do you live in? Who would schedule their office party during the Big 12 Champ game? Is the boss a female or a Cyclone (they have zero chance to win the north)?

hahah, I'm in KC. Which is funny because the game is in KC this year. I don't think her boss (male) follows much football. I guess it was a conflict two years ago when Nebraska went there and another employee who is a Husker fan skipped out on the party for it....which I guess didn't go over well. I told her the game time hasn't been decided yet, but if it's a night game and we DO make it I'll of course be watching it.

I know I won't make her a die hard fan (I was just kidding her about that) but rather I was just asking how you all might "compromise" with your significant others during football season. Or if you had stories about how they eventually found themselves becoming fans.

Unfortunately the MU game is the only game I'll be able to take her to since my season tickets are paired with a friend of mine. And I've only been offered the MU game in a trade (I'm giving up the KU game). I guess this season will be a true test of the relationship ;)

Not that I would know if you'll get married to this girl or not, but these kind of things are tough to smooth out until you're both wearing rings. This is how it was for me, anyway.

My wife's from Seattle, and her family is either Husky or Cougar fans (the Apple Cup is a fun discussion). When my son was born, my mother-in-law had the gall to bring a jersey that was worn by Billy Joe Hobert to put on him and take a picture. Didn't happen. My boy's already a Husker to the core, at only 3...but I digress.

Anyway, one thing that helped me with my wife (then, girlfriend) that wasn't much into football, much less the Huskers, was to be very cordial about it, and warn her ahead of time, like it seems you already have. I tried to control my emotions as best as I could, and she seemed to appreciate that. Now that we've been married 4 years, I can go all out, and guess what - she's a big Husker fan, too. She listens to the games sometimes, and went with me to the ISU smashing last year (sorry, cy). She even listened in on some of the rumors and gossip last year during the Pederson/Callahan axing. Fun stuff.

Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helps, at least a little.

benny let me save you alot of trouble here and alot of time. If she doesn't understand it now she may never understand it so it might be time to part ways with her. My wife really didn't have a choice it was either become a fan and marry me or hit the door lady! Obviously, I'm kidding a little, but my wife is now a diehard Husker fan and she said the other day, "I can't wait for the football season to start so we can watch the Huskers!" I had a tear in my eye and I knew that the transformation had come full circle for her. If she wears black and gold to that game then she's just not the one. :dunno

Do you love tampons? Would you plan your Saturday's around them?

Bro, grab your nuggets and take a step back. You obviously like this girl - great. Dont wish it to come true. Be you. Yourself. Love others (if such a thing) but you will not find answers influencing other people that are not already willing to understand you.

Re-read if you need to. Its pretty simple.

Here's how it went down with me and the wife. I started dating her late August, and I told her for the time being Huskers are #1 and everything else is a close 2nd. Growing up in Nebraska, she had been around it and understood it. It wasn't that she wasn't a husker fan, it's she wasn't a football fan. When we got married (sept 23) 3 years ago, it was on a bye week, and she had no problems with it. She started coming around as a casual fan, then....I took her to her first game, that changed EVERYTHING, she now has a ton of Husker gear of her own (purses, wallets, shirts, skibbies) and she still steals mine all the time. Like someone else said, be yourself, don't force the issue, and everything will fall in place.

I told my wife when we started dating, when the Huskers are on in t.v., leave me the hell alone. Don't talk to me, don't look at me, don't do nothing. I don't care if you come out wearing nothing but saran wrap...leave me the h.e.l.l. alone. She thought I was kidding...till a Huskers game came on. She learned real quick to leave me the hell alone. <_<