Watson: on the field or in the box

Is this just a consistency thing? How much time does it usually eat up for the refs to place the ball and start the clock? If the actual game clock keeps running for each of those forty-second periods, it seems to me offenses could sit around for quite awhile. Not sure, though.

It seems every year someone wants to shorten the game. I got news, though. I don't want a shorter football game. If anything, I want more football, not less.

They want the game itself to be shorter so there is more time for commercials. Eventually it will just be a running clock. This crap is getting ridiculous.

Eventually, the game will be all commercials and at the end they will tell us who won while simultaneously doing a commercial.

That's basically what every sport has become. A big commerical with breaks of football. Has anyone here been watching Preseason football?? It's ridiculous how many commericials there are. If they even get 30 seconds of dead time, they break to a commercial or two. It's really sad.

I hope he calls from upstairs, he will have a better view of what is going on from there than he would from the sidelines.

Secondly, I, too, wish they NCAA would leave the friggin clock alone. Talk about a confusing situation. How many times will the person keeping the clock screw this thing up? And how many times will it happen at a crucial moment in the home teams favor? All this does is give one more way to really screw the visiting team when it needs to happen, and will be so controversial. Stupid NCAA....BAD!!!

While it may not be subjective, it surely changes the amount of time per play the offense has. For example, let's assume a QB throws an incomplete 40-60 yard pass. The new rule has the clock starting when the play is blown dead. The ref's at this point have to get the ball some 40-60 yards and spotted while the play clock is running which could take quite a bit of time. Now, compare this to running between the tackles where the ref just walks over and spots the ball right where the run ended. Quite a bit of difference in the amount of time the offense has per play depending on what they did the prior play.

While it may not be subjective, it surely changes the amount of time per play the offense has. For example, let's assume a QB throws an incomplete 40-60 yard pass. The new rule has the clock starting when the play is blown dead. The ref's at this point have to get the ball some 40-60 yards and spotted while the play clock is running which could take quite a bit of time. Now, compare this to running between the tackles where the ref just walks over and spots the ball right where the run ended. Quite a bit of difference in the amount of time the offense has per play depending on what they did the prior play.

Maybe Cy can answer this, but wouldnt they just throw in another ball from the sideline? I cant see the ref chasing after a football like a little league soccer goalie after a missed shot passed the goal line.

Ref: "Go get it, Mr. Head Linesman."

HL: "But I had to go get it the last time."

Ref: <_<

HL: "(sigh)" off he runs to go get it

The fact that we'd even have to ask a question like this speaks to the stupidity of this change. Can anyone explain to me just what the hell was wrong with the way we've done things for years? Talk about reinventing the wheel.

Holy Paradigm, Batman...

Wasn't it just two years ago that they shortened it down to 25 seconds?

Everybody (Me) was upset that there were fewer plays (less Football) and made it seem more like a basketball game.

There's got to be more to it than just the rules committee trying to legitimize their weekend in Phoenix other than coming up with a nifty mission statement..

Pace of play addressed again by rules committee

NCAA extends play clock

Pace of play addressed again by rules committee

By TONY BARNHART

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/13/08

Two years ago the NCAA Football Rules committee, concerned that games were running too long, put in a series of changes in hopes of speeding things up.

They worked. In 2006 the average game time dropped from 3:21 to 3:07 but fans and coaches howled because there were about 13 fewer plays and five fewer points per game than in 2005.

is that games averaged 3:22, a minute longer than in 2005. The good news is that plays and scoring also went back to the desired 2005 levels.

In an attempt to produce more plays and points in a shorter game, the rules committee went back to the drawing board and on Wednesday recommended a few changes for the upcoming season.

"Hopefully this time we got it right," said Michael Clark, the chairman of the rules committee and head coach at Bridgewater (Va.) College.

The first is the implementation of a 40/25-second play clock, similar to that of the NFL. At the end of every play, the 40-second clock will start, which is the rule in the NFL. The old college rules featured a 25-second clock that did not start until the officials marked the ball ready for play. On a change of possession, the first play will be run on a 25-second clock.

A number of college coaches have said they wanted the 40-second play clock because officials from league to league used different amounts of time to mark the ball ready for play.

"We think this will give us some consistency when it comes to pace of play," said Connecticut coach Randy Edsall, who is a member of the rules committee.

"If the NFL boys are doing it we seem to want to do it, too," South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said. "I think it favors the teams that run the no-huddle. That gives the quarterback a bunch more time to stand up there and read the defense."

The rules committee made another recommendation that will certainly shorten the game.

After a player runs out of bounds and the ball is made ready to play, the official will start the game clock. Under the old rules the game clock would not start until the ball was snapped. This new rule will not apply in the final two minutes of the first half and the final two minutes of the game.

In other recommended rules changes announced Tuesday:

• A coach will get an extra instant replay challenge if his first one is upheld. Under the old rule the coach had only one challenge whether he was right or wrong. Under the new rule the coach, if he's right, will get one extra challenge, but no more.

• If a kickoff goes out of bounds, the receiving team will have the option of taking the ball on its own 40-yard line. The previous rule gave the receiving team the ball on the 35-yard line.

The incidental five-yard facemask penalty will be eliminated. Only the 15-yard facemask penalties will be called.

• A "horse collar" tackle, where the defender grabs inside the back collar of the shoulder pads to pull the runner down, will now be a personal foul.

• There will no longer be sideline warnings for players and coaches who crowd onto the field during the game. The official may assess a five-yard penalty without a warning for the infraction.

The recommendations must still be reviewed and given final approval by the NCAA's Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which meets in April.

I want their job!!! :moreinteresting