I am confused by WMU comments that abound here

jayhawk

OK. Speaking as a Husker fan of 20+ years I must say that I do not agree with the mindset that says we will not tolerate our neighbors having some success. For many, many years we Husker fans had much to celebrate and our neighbors at MU, KSU, and Kansas had little to revel in. Now, when we are down and KU and MU have had some success many NU fans begrudge them their time in the sun. It seems petty and wrong. That KU had a great season last year is great --- may the KU fans revel in it and may we not endeavor to begrudge them their right to celebrate their team's success. Same for MU. Are we so small minded and insecure that we cannot tolerate the sucess of others?

Just root for NU against everyone, root for the B12 North against the south, root for the B12 against non-conference foes and go from there. that seems the fair-minded thing to do. We're down now. We'll be back. Our neighbors are up now and so let them enjoy.

:yeah

Though Colorado can go suck an egg.

OK. Speaking as a Husker fan of 20+ years I must say that I do not agree with the mindset that says we will not tolerate our neighbors having some success. For many, many years we Husker fans had much to celebrate and our neighbors at MU, KSU, and Kansas had little to revel in. Now, when we are down and KU and MU have had some success many NU fans begrudge them their time in the sun. It seems petty and wrong. That KU had a great season last year is great --- may the KU fans revel in it and may we not endeavor to begrudge them their right to celebrate their team's success. Same for MU. Are we so small minded and insecure that we cannot tolerate the sucess of others?

Just root for NU against everyone, root for the B12 North against the south, root for the B12 against non-conference foes and go from there. that seems the fair-minded thing to do. We're down now. We'll be back. Our neighbors are up now and so let them enjoy.

You noticed my inconsistency! Yep, as much as I desire all of us to be good sports and moral and all that, well... I can't extend such love and fair play to Colorado. I'm inconsistent --- I know. But man, I hate Colorado fans. Over time they have just been too nasty. We can be cival to them and give them their do, but that is it.

Jayhawk,

Don't listen to these guys who took your post the wrong way. I believe his point was that WMU is not App State and we're not Michigan. This is not a team on our schedule to be worried about more than any other.

WMU returns 10 starters on a team that went 5-7.....in the MAC.

I know we went 5-7 too, but there's a huge difference between going 5-7 because you have limited talent and good coaching, versus going 5-7 because you can't tackle.

I've been kicking the crap out of this horse for a month, but it's still my top argument. Fundamentals, talent and scheme. Bo brings two of those things with him and one of them was already here.

We didn't put players in a position to tackle, make a sack or pick a pass. Our coaches failed to teach fundamentals. Our defensive schemes were almost "high school (eat yummy booger)" in nature. It doesn't matter how talented your players are when you set them up to fail week in and week out. Not that this was deliberate, but it happened.

Bo gets noticeably pissed off when player's don't practice well. Imagine what sort of standard will be set with the defensive units, especially the starters. This 'miss 8 tackles and keep your job' crap is a thing of the past. I'm certain of it. Our defense doesn't have to be top 10 to be good enough to support a good offensive attack enough to win games. If we could tackle, or adjust, we could have won a few of last year's shootouts. There is a severe defensive issue when you put up 40 points a game and lose 7 of them.

Our offense was fine and will be even better this year. Joe Ganz had damn good numbers, starting his first three games....EVER. Don't forget, Ganz wasn't a backup getting a lot of snaps. He was a backup that only threw the ball 20 or so times in 3 years....mostly against Maines and Troys. He's only going to get better. If he were a Freshman and put up those kind of numbers in three games last year, we'd be praising him as a Heisman candidate. Seven picks isn't that bad considering his production. Also, 2 out of those 3 games were on the road, with a coach who thinks passing the ball when your up 10+ points is a good gameplan. I think he had some jitters and undue pressure (trying to save coach's job after Osborne's ultimatum)...and still performed quite well.

Our offense will be good. Maybe even fantastic.

:rantdedhoarse

Jayhawk is correct. WMU should not be a concern (anymore than any other game). Mark it down....

NU by 21 points, 300+ yards rushing.

This Kansas fan is making a comparison based on having a very narrow understanding of what he is talking about.

Central Michigan beat Western Michigan last year on a controversial call with 14 seconds left. It was a tough game for us to deal with and still hard to admit they were/are better. So let me tear their 07 team down a little bit. CMU lost 6 games. They lost at home by 30 points to a FCS North Dakota State team. Clemson scored 70 points on them...70, and the didn't even beat a decent team in the MACC. They beat a 6-7 team.

WMU won 3 games in the MAC last year not 2, and 3 games were lost on the last drive 2 on the last play. Tell me if you have ever seen anything like this before:

We ended up with a 5-7 team that failed to meat its expectations as pre season MAC favorites coming off of a season in which we went to a bowl game. CMU ended up wining a MAC title with an 8-6 record making them one of the most suspect champions in recent memory.

Now I'm not saying that WMU is going to win the MAC this year, but I would be willing to bet with all the experienced players returning, and a far more manigible schedule that WMU is going to be a tougher opponent or at least equivalent to CMU in 07. So while Kansas can say they beat the 2007 MAC Champion to defend their pathetic OOC schedule it should be noted that there were no good MAC wins last year. It was a down year for the conference. This year the conference should be much stronger and WMU should rebound from last years 5-7 record and make a bowl game. Nebraska won't have to be embarassed to have played WMU in the final analysis.

I was not touting that we bea them, I was touting that we killed them 52-7. My point was the MAC is not good, your team also not good and Nebraska on an off day, in an off year, in the most exposed game of year one will still beat you barring a miracle. You better hope Jesus is a Bronco fan. That is what I am saying. Oh, and that Cornhusker fans who do not think they can beat WMU need confidence injections....

Sorry about shorting you a win, I did not know Temple was in the MAC...

I wish you no ill will, your team is just gonna lose, and the Husker fans should KNOW that. Most seem to judging by this response. Good to know that.

Fact 1 - Central Michigan is a mediocre opponent - but easily better than Western Michigan, who is weak

90% of this board mock KU's schedule last fall, and one of our easiest games was MAC champion Central Michigan. They Beat Western Michigan, at Western Michigan, and barely lost to Purdue (by 3, 51-49) in the Motor City Bowl. They also beat Nebraska favorite Ball State by 20, at Ball State. Despite this, KU beat Central Michigan 52-7. Despite the MAC title, and the size of the victory, I have been told that our schedule was weak, and this is an example, because Centeral Michigan is no good despite the accomplishments they made. I just had to get that off my chest, as hypocrisy annoys me. Now on to the important Husker focused Parts....

Fact 2 - Western Michigan is NOT good, see write up/

See fact 1, but Western Michigan was by no measure as good as Central Michigan. They lost to them at home, they did not beat a single team in he MAC that CM did not also beat, and they won TWO games last year in the MAC. TWO. While I know it is the first game under a new regime, and that is fraught with danger, these guys have not done ANYTHING save for beating Iowa last year. Not that this was not a good win, but it is about the only thing that went right for them by a LONG, LONG, way. Did I mention Iowa was not good last year? DId I mention that everyone thinks Central Michigan was a joke for KU, and is a lot better than Western Michigan (just checking that I hit those points)

Fact 3 - If NU is going to be good, which most of you take as a fact they will be at least better than last year by a few wins, they can't lose this game

I keep hearing how a lot of Husker fans are declaring our (KU's) imminent demise in Lincoln. Now I will have to be careful, as this fact only applies to a portion of you, and I recognize that. You do not all predict 9-3 or 10-2, but if you have ANY strong hope of a winning season, you would need to win a game like this. How can you all be so confident that Bo is great, that he prgram acan return to a winnning season, and worry about Western Michigan. I know the team should respect them, so they are ready to go, but as fans our fear of them does not help the team get ready. I think this is overblown hubbub.

Huskers by 14 is what i predicted over a month ago, and shockingly the spread came out.... 14

I am tooting my own horn, but you will win by about that, give or take, and it should be a decent start to the Bo era.

Have some freakin faith, it is not Michigan, it's not Michigan State, it's not even Central Michigan or Eastern Michigan (even Eastern Michigan beat Western Michgan, and won 3 MAC games).... They are the FIFTH best team in freaking Michigan. You all seriously need to get some swagger back, it's Nebraska! Remember, Go Big Red? Kicking KU in the teeth by 50? Playing in, and winning, National Title Games? Tommie Frazier running down the field laughing at Florida as he shed tacklers like the were 8 year old girls? You do still have some pretty good players, I read about them a lot on the board and have seen them play. Lucky is half way decent, we might even let him play if he came to KU, I think he is not bad for instance....

WESTERN MICHIGAN IS NOT GOOD. PLEASE STOP WORRYING AND FRETTING LIKE OLD WOMEN....

Thanks,

That's all.

I am Jayhawk and I approve this message

Oh man. The 2008 season needs to start to quiet the KU fans. But I think I'm done debating the fact that KU had a weak schedule last season. It's no use. We will just have to wait until KU loses a bunch of games for them to come off their cloud, or for them to prove me (and others) wrong. Don't see the latter happening, but hey, anything can happen in college football...even KU having two really good seasons in a row!

Robsker is the man. I must say, I always rooted for the Huskers. I even had to root for Mizzou over Arkanasas in the Cotton Bowl. I felt dirty, but I did it. I alwasys rooted for the Big Red in their bowl, no doubt. I do not understnad how me making a fair minded analysis that does not end in we are going to be average and we are a fraud equates to talking smack or being brash. I admit occasional smack tendencies against MU, its hard for me, and sometimes KSU, but I do nto remember ever talking smack on the Cornhusker team. I may have disagreed with fans who think because you changed coaches we are 2 years from 1995 again, or ones thought BC was a good idea (I want the option-I back!!!!). I do not even understand why my thinking we actually had a good team last year equates to brash smack?

I do like how the Bronco fan called our OOC pathetic (the OOC portion was weak), when we played and destroyed 2 MAC schools (1 beat Iowa, the other Iowa State, ironic really) and argued that while they are not great, they are better than Western Michigan (they are) and that we smashed them, not beat them (we did). It is just building up a point, not talking smack...

This Kansas fan is making a comparison based on having a very narrow understanding of what he is talking about.

Central Michigan beat Western Michigan last year on a controversial call with 14 seconds left. It was a tough game for us to deal with and still hard to admit they were/are better. So let me tear their 07 team down a little bit. CMU lost 6 games. They lost at home by 30 points to a FCS North Dakota State team. Clemson scored 70 points on them...70, and the didn't even beat a decent team in the MACC. They beat a 6-7 team.

WMU won 3 games in the MAC last year not 2, and 3 games were lost on the last drive 2 on the last play. Tell me if you have ever seen anything like this before:

We ended up with a 5-7 team that failed to meat its expectations as pre season MAC favorites coming off of a season in which we went to a bowl game. CMU ended up wining a MAC title with an 8-6 record making them one of the most suspect champions in recent memory.

Now I'm not saying that WMU is going to win the MAC this year, but I would be willing to bet with all the experienced players returning, and a far more manigible schedule that WMU is going to be a tougher opponent or at least equivalent to CMU in 07. So while Kansas can say they beat the 2007 MAC Champion to defend their pathetic OOC schedule it should be noted that there were no good MAC wins last year. It was a down year for the conference. This year the conference should be much stronger and WMU should rebound from last years 5-7 record and make a bowl game. Nebraska won't have to be embarassed to have played WMU in the final analysis.

MOST of them are like that

I would say I do not fail to understand much about this. Western Michigan almost pulled off a win at home agaist Central Michigan, we beat them 52-7 with our backups in the whole 4th quarter. We were a few tiers above both schools. Sorry, we were. If Western had come down, they woulda taken the whuppin instead, proabbaly worse, as Central Michigan is BETTER than Western (look at their records against like opponents, in conference, head to head, overall). I am saying if Nebraska can compete with us, they can surely beat Western. That is not narrow. That is just true. Not sure how I am being narrow and unfair, I guess I robbed Western of the big win over Temple, did not know then went to the MAC. I do not see me making generic statements, and I support each one with examples. Congrats on almost beating Central Michigan, I did in fact know it was a close game, and what data do you have to show me? It seems I cannot get anyone who is dismissing me and for that matter other jayhawks to address my actual points, except that maybe you almost beat the Chippewas, which would have been a huge accomplishment had you pulled it off, which really is my point... Your not very good. You are not awful, you are not Northern Rhode Island School for Cosmetics, but a decent Nebraska team should take you out in to Memorial Stadium, politely shake your hand, and beat the living snot out of you. They will be a little off, and win by 14. But you will feel the pain and won't upset them. THat is, if Nebraska is good, or even just average (or bad, by Nebraska standards)...

KU had a good season last year, but the weakness of their opponents assisted in that.

KU's opponents overall record was 65-67. That's not even .500. I'm not really sure you can hang your hat on that, especially with the difficulty of their upcoming schedule.

The top 5 teams winning percentages (in order) were A&M (.629), Va Tech (.623), Florida (.621), Ok St (.619) and Miss (.609).

KU ranked 72nd out of all I-A teams.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/t...9games_cumm.pdf

jayhawk..

I think what you were seeing on this board was not so much a lack of confidence, but rather a conditioned response.

Probably a high percentage of posters on here have played organized sports at one time or another and at least back in my day, Coaches stressed not ever taking an opponent lightly.

Consciously, we know the team won't be affected by their fans believing an opponent is "legitimate" or not, but subconsciously??? It's hard to separate "us" as fans from the "us" in team.

Back before we were concerned with "letting the program deteriorate into mediocrity", most of us would be embarrassed by our OOC schedule this season, but with the increase in parity, the high number of returning starters for WMU, and the fact that this is the 1st game of the new season (and era), and most of all for me, a less than overpowering Offense last year and an almost non-existent Defense...

There's a little cause for concern.

I still think we win by 3 TD's.

Good luck this season..except...well you know.

Just re-read your post and i'm not done...

your out of conference games were:

Central Michigan - like you said, finished 8-6 won the MAC

Southeastern Louisiana - finished 3-8 only beating 2 D2 teams and Nichols State

Toledo - finshed 5-7

FIU - 2007 Season: 1-11 ... do i have to say more?

In conference, while I know the school has no control over:

K-state - A team who has been struggling, but was ranked at the time (24)

Baylor - no explanation needed...

Colorado - See k-state (without the ranked part)

Texas A&M - mediocre year for the aggies, Quality win for KU

Nebraska - A scoring explosion by both sides early, but Nebraska had serious troubles last year

Oklahoma State - Just came off a bad loss to Texas, barely finished above .500

Iowa State - the baylor of the north

Missouri - Need i say more?

I mean come on...

Despite my obvious bitterness, you miss my point. I am saying Central Michigan is mediocre, and everyone else is here calls them weak. OK, well, they are better than Western Michigan regardless. We beat the better Central Michigan 52-7, so if you can compete with us, you should be able to beat Western Michigan. That is my point....

The rest is just my bitter rant. (A&M and OSU on the road not otugh? CU in Boulder not tough? Come on, some credit???)

OK, enough ranting, I want to know how can the Mighty Cornhyskers have a fair contingent of fans afraid of these guys. I am trying to stay on toipic, and that is what I want to know. they have ZERO faith in what is going on. Western Michigan is not good by pretty much any measure.

What is the difference between 2007 and 2008? ITS 2 DIFFERENT YEARS. Oh i guess LSU is going to beat OSU in the championship this year again cuz it happened last year.

WMU returns what? 18 starters? Granted they weren't that great last year, and in no way shape or form am I scared about this game. I am going to say that I have faith in my team, but I think KU is going to need alot more than fan support for what is instore for them in 2008....

I want to know, do people down in Lawrence really think that KU will do better than 8-4? Especially with Oklahoma, Texas, AND Texas Tech on your schedule, plus Mizzou, potential Big East Champion South Florida, and upcoming Colorado? Not to mention KU visits Lincoln, where you haven't won at since god knows when. Actually this just sounds stupid cuz I've mentioned most of the teams on the schedule but alot of people aren't talking about KSU, and I personally am more scared of that game than our game with KU.

Case and point -- KU's schedule is brutal, KU has like 7-8 games that are "TOSSUPS" or "PROBABLE LOSSES"

heard it here first

There is a lot of "Watch out for WMU", BTW, it is pretty common recently. I am just surprised so many people are that concerned.

If you lose to them, you are no better than average. These guys are no App State, the are not some under the radar great team. 18 guys back on a team that won 2 games in the MAC, ok, now they may be able to compete in the mac and take 4 games? I am just surprised so many Cornhusker fans are concerned. I know not all of you are, a few of you still think it is the mid-90's for pete's sakes....

People in Lawrence, when Polled, pick 9 wins as the most popular choice. 8 wins came in second. I think 10 was third, then 7. Since we beat CU last year at CU, and the momentum has shifted with NU (plus a new coach), those are viewed as winnable by more than just KU fans. We beat USF 2 years ago, and so they may beat us this time, but we like our chances. As for the 3 south teams, 2 are at home. You missed Mizzou, which is probably the second hardest game after visiting OU. We probably will lose 3 or 4 games, most fans think that, we just don't llok at that scheudle and assume we lose them all. if we lose half of the 7 games listed ablve, that is 3.5.... 3 or 4.... Again, sorry for not assuming we suck after going 12-1, beating Va-Tech in the Orange Bowl. We have on of the better schedules in the country for difficulty, so we would be hard pressed to go 12-1... :rant

Nevermind, we will see you in Lincoln.... Then it won't matter what any of us think. We will just see how it goes. I am not sure what a bunch of you will come up with next year if we go 9-3, but I am excited to find out...

I know EXACTLY what everyone on this board will come up with when KU goes 9-3 or 10-2. I've found that after each KU win, the team KU beat is suddenly not that good and is looked at by the country as an average to less than average team. Case in point Virginia Tech last year. V-Tech entered the game ranked 3rd in the BCS. After KU beat them, suddenly the excuses from Husker nation and the rest of the public began coming. "Well, you see, Virginia Tech played in a weak ACC." "Well, you have to realize that Virginia Tech wasn't that good." They shouldn't of even been in the top 10 of the BCS going into the game Yada Yada Yada.......

But by god before they played KU in the Orange Bowl their defense was looked at as the second coming of Christ!! They were bigger, stronger, faster, more physical, able to leap tall buildings. All around better than KU and had an argument for being in the NC game. Then KU wins and they become mediocre.

So that's exac tly what we'll here next year from Husker nation and the rest of the country that knows nothing about KU football. When KU goes 2-1 against the South I'll be the first poster on this board to let everyone know about it. Trust in that my Husker friends. KU is a tough out at home and no way Texas and Texas Tech comes into Lawrence and leaves with a win. Not this year boys!!

:box

Just re-read your post and i'm not done...

your out of conference games were:

Central Michigan - like you said, finished 8-6 won the MAC

Southeastern Louisiana - finished 3-8 only beating 2 D2 teams and Nichols State

Toledo - finshed 5-7

FIU - 2007 Season: 1-11 ... do i have to say more?

In conference, while I know the school has no control over:

K-state - A team who has been struggling, but was ranked at the time (24)

Baylor - no explanation needed...

Colorado - See k-state (without the ranked part)

Texas A&M - mediocre year for the aggies, Quality win for KU

Nebraska - A scoring explosion by both sides early, but Nebraska had serious troubles last year

Oklahoma State - Just came off a bad loss to Texas, barely finished above .500

Iowa State - the baylor of the north

Missouri - Need i say more?

I mean come on...

Despite my obvious bitterness, you miss my point. I am saying Central Michigan is mediocre, and everyone else is here calls them weak. OK, well, they are better than Western Michigan regardless. We beat the better Central Michigan 52-7, so if you can compete with us, you should be able to beat Western Michigan. That is my point....

The rest is just my bitter rant. (A&M and OSU on the road not otugh? CU in Boulder not tough? Come on, some credit???)

OK, enough ranting, I want to know how can the Mighty Cornhyskers have a fair contingent of fans afraid of these guys. I am trying to stay on toipic, and that is what I want to know. they have ZERO faith in what is going on. Western Michigan is not good by pretty much any measure.

What is the difference between 2007 and 2008? ITS 2 DIFFERENT YEARS. Oh i guess LSU is going to beat OSU in the championship this year again cuz it happened last year.

WMU returns what? 18 starters? Granted they weren't that great last year, and in no way shape or form am I scared about this game. I am going to say that I have faith in my team, but I think KU is going to need alot more than fan support for what is instore for them in 2008....

I want to know, do people down in Lawrence really think that KU will do better than 8-4? Especially with Oklahoma, Texas, AND Texas Tech on your schedule, plus Mizzou, potential Big East Champion South Florida, and upcoming Colorado? Not to mention KU visits Lincoln, where you haven't won at since god knows when. Actually this just sounds stupid cuz I've mentioned most of the teams on the schedule but alot of people aren't talking about KSU, and I personally am more scared of that game than our game with KU.

Case and point -- KU's schedule is brutal, KU has like 7-8 games that are "TOSSUPS" or "PROBABLE LOSSES"

heard it here first

There is a lot of "Watch out for WMU", BTW, it is pretty common recently. I am just surprised so many people are that concerned.

If you lose to them, you are no better than average. These guys are no App State, the are not some under the radar great team. 18 guys back on a team that won 2 games in the MAC, ok, now they may be able to compete in the mac and take 4 games? I am just surprised so many Cornhusker fans are concerned. I know not all of you are, a few of you still think it is the mid-90's for pete's sakes....

People in Lawrence, when Polled, pick 9 wins as the most popular choice. 8 wins came in second. I think 10 was third, then 7. Since we beat CU last year at CU, and the momentum has shifted with NU (plus a new coach), those are viewed as winnable by more than just KU fans. We beat USF 2 years ago, and so they may beat us this time, but we like our chances. As for the 3 south teams, 2 are at home. You missed Mizzou, which is probably the second hardest game after visiting OU. We probably will lose 3 or 4 games, most fans think that, we just don't llok at that scheudle and assume we lose them all. if we lose half of the 7 games listed ablve, that is 3.5.... 3 or 4.... Again, sorry for not assuming we suck after going 12-1, beating Va-Tech in the Orange Bowl. We have on of the better schedules in the country for difficulty, so we would be hard pressed to go 12-1... :rant

Nevermind, we will see you in Lincoln.... Then it won't matter what any of us think. We will just see how it goes. I am not sure what a bunch of you will come up with next year if we go 9-3, but I am excited to find out...

I know EXACTLY what everyone on this board will come up with when KU goes 9-3 or 10-2. I've found that after each KU win, the team KU beat is suddenly not that good and is looked at by the country as an average to less than average team. Case in point Virginia Tech last year. V-Tech entered the game ranked 3rd in the BCS. After KU beat them, suddenly the excuses from Husker nation and the rest of the public began coming. "Well, you see, Virginia Tech played in a weak ACC." "Well, you have to realize that Virginia Tech wasn't that good." They shouldn't of even been in the top 10 of the BCS going into the game Yada Yada Yada.......

But by god before they played KU in the Orange Bowl their defense was looked at as the second coming of Christ!! They were bigger, stronger, faster, more physical, able to leap tall buildings. All around better than KU and had an argument for being in the NC game. Then KU wins and they become mediocre.

So that's exac tly what we'll here next year from Husker nation and the rest of the country that knows nothing about KU football. When KU goes 2-1 against the South I'll be the first poster on this board to let everyone know about it. Trust in that my Husker friends. KU is a tough out at home and no way Texas and Texas Tech comes into Lawrence and leaves with a win. Not this year boys!!

:box

I would say I do not fail to understand much about this. Western Michigan almost pulled off a win at home agaist Central Michigan, we beat them 52-7 with our backups in the whole 4th quarter. We were a few tiers above both schools. Sorry, we were. If Western had come down, they woulda taken the whuppin instead, proabbaly worse, as Central Michigan is BETTER than Western (look at their records against like opponents, in conference, head to head, overall). I am saying if Nebraska can compete with us, they can surely beat Western. That is not narrow. That is just true. Not sure how I am being narrow and unfair, I guess I robbed Western of the big win over Temple, did not know then went to the MAC. I do not see me making generic statements, and I support each one with examples. Congrats on almost beating Central Michigan, I did in fact know it was a close game, and what data do you have to show me? It seems I cannot get anyone who is dismissing me and for that matter other jayhawks to address my actual points, except that maybe you almost beat the Chippewas, which would have been a huge accomplishment had you pulled it off, which really is my point... Your not very good. You are not awful, you are not Northern Rhode Island School for Cosmetics, but a decent Nebraska team should take you out in to Memorial Stadium, politely shake your hand, and beat the living snot out of you. They will be a little off, and win by 14. But you will feel the pain and won't upset them. THat is, if Nebraska is good, or even just average (or bad, by Nebraska standards)...

You'll NEVER get you point across about this cause Husker fans won't listen. They just want to continue to bash on KU's shcedule. But look deeper my friends. Check out Ohio State's schedule (before they played LSU). Because of OSU's name recognition (prestige if you will) they get a free pass by husker nation and the rest of the country because they have OSU across their chest. They played NOBODY in their non conference schedule and I would argue that they're schedule was worse that KU's. But nobody wants to talk about that. Because they were THE OHIO STATE University, we'll go ahead and give them a free pass to the National Title Game. That's crap if ya ask me boys. :koolaid2:

I guess my point is that Central Michigan wasn't very good last year despite being MAC Champs. Western Michigan wasn't very good last year as our record indicated but I wouldn't take that as an indication that our squad won't be good this year. We lost to some good teams and in some tough games to get that 5-7 record. This season Western will be vastly better than Central was last season. The MAC was awful in 2007 but is poised to rebound for a strong 2008. If your perspective on the MAC is based on the best Kansas team ever beating the worst MAC champion ever you are going to be missing the boat on what the reality of MAC football is. The 2008 Western Michigan Broncos are an upper division team in a stronger MAC with 18 starters returning playing a Nebraska team that is an unknown comodity on defense. There is good reason to take this game seriously, and not take an overly simplistic view of a team based on a common opponent from a common opponent from a season ago.