First game over....blackshirts?

As far as the game it was a win and thats all that matters. I thought our offense was good but our running game had it's up and downs. Ganz looked like a stud in the first half and I thought that there were times where he should've pitched the ball instead of keeping it. Second half though, I hate to say it but I think I jinxed Ganz in the second half. They showed his stats and I had mentioned that he had over 300 yards passing and no INT's but then three plays later he throws his first INT which really wasn't his fault.

Our defense was awesome at stopping the run now if our front four could rush the QB better and help out our DB's. Our front four couldn't even put a lot of pressure on the QB therefore they completed I don't know how many 3 and 25 or 3 and 20 conversions.

All and all I was happy to see our team no the field and they looked good for the most part. Everybody knew that we weren't going to be perfect and that there will be some mistakes. The more we practice and watch game footage and winning games, our players confidence will get better and we'll be better as a team.

After the performance of our Defense I still believe that they shouldn't get their blackshirts but if they were to give one to anybody it would be to Cody Glenn. HE WAS A MONSTER THAT WAS LET LOOSE.

Can't wait till next Saturday and GO BIG RED.

As far as the game it was a win and thats all that matters. I thought our offense was good but our running game had it's up and downs. Ganz looked like a stud in the first half and I thought that there were times where he should've pitched the ball instead of keeping it. Second half though, I hate to say it but I think I jinxed Ganz in the second half. They showed his stats and I had mentioned that he had over 300 yards passing and no INT's but then three plays later he throws his first INT which really wasn't his fault.

Our defense was awesome at stopping the run now if our front four could rush the QB better and help out our DB's. Our front four couldn't even put a lot of pressure on the QB therefore they completed I don't know how many 3 and 25 or 3 and 20 conversions.

All and all I was happy to see our team no the field and they looked good for the most part. Everybody knew that we weren't going to be perfect and that there will be some mistakes. The more we practice and watch game footage and winning games, our players confidence will get better and we'll be better as a team.

After the performance of our Defense I still believe that they shouldn't get their blackshirts but if they were to give one to anybody it would be to Cody Glenn. HE WAS A MONSTER THAT WAS LET LOOSE.

Can't wait till next Saturday and GO BIG RED.

What about Stienkuler? I thought he played well. Any other thoughts on him? I will say this, as a team they all "looked" more physically fit, and in better football shape! Good things are coming, it maybe a little while off, but good things are coming!

I would say no. The defense seemed to make some good plays, but gave up some big gainers as well. I know we cannot expect the defense to not give up big plays, but if we were playing a better team, the game might have gone the other way. It is very hard to make a call on this since it is the first game with a new defense in place and the guys are unsure of themselves due to the a$$kickings they took last year.

Good things happened and hopefully they learn from the mistakes they made, unlike the other staff, this staff will make adjustments.

I'm in the minority here, but I say give out the blackshirts. And not to some of the players, but the whole unit. The effort, intensity, and desire were there all night - and that's what the Blackshirts are about. The yardage doesn't matter to me - in fact, the Blackshirts gave up record passing and receiving yards to La Tech in 1998 in Solich's first HC game. And I still think of them as Blackshirts.

Sorry, but you need to actually execute the defense properly, as well. Passion, intensity, and all that are an important part of the Blackshirts, but so is execution. I could go out there and play with intensity and fire, but I would still suck and would not expect to get a Blackshirt. Gotta have the execution, and for a lot of the game, we did not have it (mainly against the pass, and also some with the pass rush).

If I were the coaches, I'd tell the players that they would get Blackshirts when they felt they deserved them as a team. Put it to a vote and see what the entire team thinks. The team probably would never think they truly deserve the Blackshirts unless they came off a tremendous effort...like holding a team to under 14 pts in a game.

I don't think they will get them for a couple more games because they will need to have a better performance overall. The defense played with fire and passion again, which was nice, but Cody was the standout to me for a blackshirt. However, this is a team sport not an individual sport so I don't think handing one out here and one out there would be right for motivational purposes.

I say give them out to individuals first. If you grade high and the coaches feel you deserve the blackshirt then give them out.

Plus it might invoke some competition amongst the other defenders.

Post game Bo kept talking about defense is a team not a bunch of individuals. I say the team will get them when they get them.

From OWH article on Big 12 PC

Pelini offered nothing new on the status of Blackshirts, apparently still absent from practice.

“We’ll see,” the coach said.

Asked to explain, Pelini said he’s still waiting for the top-unit defenders to earn their coveted practice jerseys.

“We haven’t been together long enough for that to happen.”

do you guys realize we sat back in a base defense, not blitzing almost the entire 2nd half? we GAVE THEM what they took.. its just like the USC game last year... they gave us what we took at the end of that game. Had the game actually been close, they would have played with more tenacity. We don't want to show all of our different looks when it doesn't matter.. its something that ya know, smart coaches do? especially when you play in such a offensively strong conference. Think about who we have. Mizzou, Tech, OU, KU... why show something against Western Michigan just to shut them down for the 2nd half? Seriously... the 1st quarter we held WMU to -7 total yards. Honestly. When did we do that last year? Maybe you guys didn't see the same thing or just feel we should be showing everything we have because we have something to prove, but these guys def. played like they deserve it.

:yeah

Very well put, it seems like a lot of people dont realize that as with offensive play calling with deffensive schemes you save some of your best stuff for the tougher games so other teams can't game plan as effectively