85000 sounds like 8500

I was in the South end zone, section 20, and no one around me was really into the game all that much. Me and maybe 1 or 2 other people around me were doing much yelling at all(well, and my wife). I think the fans and players were both asleep for the game. I think we all needed a do-over. Hopefully next week is better.

You're all a bunch of girls.

If you want to yell and holler join pep club.

We need to keep the place quiet so the players can concentrate on having fun out there.

I saw the same discussion on a Texas Longwhorn site awhile back complaining about apathetic fans, but I think it shows more ... the nature of our fanbase..Most of us come from frontier sturdy folk who just concentrated on gettin' the job done.."Not Whooping and Hollerin' like a bunch of Kansas City Faqqots"..(Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles).

Silent Saturday is the name given to the day on which the coaches of youth sports are asked not to coach. Parents are asked not to cheer or to guide their progeny in any way. There is no shouting, no yelling, no threatening the officials or swearing at fathers from the opposing team. With the sidelines silenced, there is no pressure. The children are free to have fun.

:rant
I find it completely hard to start yelling for the defense when the youngest person of the 8 people adjacent to my seat is about 70. It's ridiculous.

Why? Have they told you to sit down and be quiet?

Yelling at a football game accomplishes nothing. What DOES make a difference, is when your yelling causes other people to yell, which causes more to yell, and it goes on and on. That makes a difference. When i got up and cheered yesterday, nobody within the distance i saw followed. Whats the point?

I know its just a video game but in ncaa football it states that memorial stadium is one of the most intimidating places to play. I have never been to a husker game but if thats what its like i will be very disapointed. If you want to be quiet the go in the parking lot, or beter yet have an old folks section so they can yell about how the young whippersnappers are causin so much noise. Its football fredrick not a dance recitle.

sorry if this was said because i didn't read the rest of these responses......

but how much of this has anything to do with the fact the student section got screwed in the seating this year?????? your stereotypically loudest most agressive fans (in any college, not just here) get pushed back even further away from the field... has anyone gone up there to the student section?? showing up before gates open is good enough to get you row 83 seats. yea..... keep movin the students up!!!

I showed up 2 hours before the game and was stuck in row 79 of the student section, it is just spiraling out of control worse and worse this year, to get decent seats I would have needed to be at the stadium at 8.. I mean I love the huskers, but I don't have time to tailgate or do anything else pregame now except sit outside memorial for 3-4 hours + the game, = 6 hours of standing in one day. Better wear my nikes.

Memorial Stadium has never been a very intimidating place to play in terms of constantly being loud IMO. Probably never will be either.

Well it used to be loud when the fans gave a flock and the team was playing well. I'm guilty of it too when I'm watching Sat at a bar. I mean these young kids were behind me yelling the slow "Go BIG red" I just thought they were annoying but by the end of the game I was yelling just as loud. Wouldn't have NOTHING to do with me and my buddy being on our 7th pitcher haha

What purpose does it really serve to lose your voice at a game?

Did any of the rest of you that played ever notice the crowd noise (unless you were on the sidelines)?.

I can see how it (unfairly) makes it a little difficult for the other team to concentrate when they're trying to audible but last years NU Defense also had trouble communicating with each other because of the noise.

When I go to a game, I like to study it..Try to come up with the next play..And listen to the radio headphones for down and distance..It's bad enough we all have to stand for the whole game.

We seem to have this every home game. IMO it has been the same for years. My first game was CU in 96 (possibly 95) and the tunnel walk was so incredibly loud, but after that everyone sat down. I thought it was odd, but I didnt know any better. There was a little more cheering (but we had way more three and outs back then)... and most of the time the game was wrapped up by mid 3rd quarter, and people started leaving... I now sit in west and thought most people got into it, although it died off in the 2nd quarter, although no worse than Cu those many years ago..

Did any of the rest of you that played ever notice the crowd noise (unless you were on the sidelines)?.

I can see how it (unfairly) makes it a little difficult for the other team to concentrate when they're trying to audible but last years NU Defense also had trouble communicating with each other because of the noise.

When I go to a game, I like to study it..Try to come up with the next play..And listen to the radio headphones for down and distance..It's bad enough we all have to stand for the whole game.

What's the point of having a home field advantage if it's not really a home field advantage?

Man, no wonder why those SEC schools are so good. They are (unfairly) making noise so the VISITING team has a difficult time audibling. Geez...those freakin' cheaters!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease

wow.. no offense, but that makes no sense what so ever.... what is the point of playing at home when you have no home crowd yelling and cheering you on? the defense gets pumped up by the noise... the noise distracts audibles from opposing teams... it just gets everything going... maybe you should try to become press so you can sit up in the press box and do that there?? :dunno

Why waste your money on a ticket then if you are going to wear headphones and zone out all the noise.. Might as well watch from home, atleast you'll get more angles of the field for your money, not to mention grilling an entire 5 pack of brats on the grill is less than a single one outside the stadium.

To be honest, my opinion is take your headphones on, and get your butt off the bleacher and yell for OUR team.