FUTURE HUSKER SCHEDULES

skip2malew

With lots of open dates in the next few years, wouldn't it be great if we could schedule Ohio & Buffalo?

I wonder if this has even been considered. I think it would make as much sense as San Jose State.

Not to disparrage what Solich and Gill are doing, but it seems clear that Bo and Co want to upgrade the strength of schedule in the upcoming years. The addition of Fresno State is an idication of that, much tougher opponent right now than Ohio and Buffalo. The other thing to consider is that Turner Gill most likely won't be at Buffalo in 3 years, he is going to get a shot at a bigger program either after this year or definately after next season.

With lots of open dates in the next few years, wouldn't it be great if we could schedule Ohio & Buffalo?

I wonder if this has even been considered. I think it would make as much sense as San Jose State.

Not to disparrage what Solich and Gill are doing, but it seems clear that Bo and Co want to upgrade the strength of schedule in the upcoming years. The addition of Fresno State is an idication of that, much tougher opponent right now than Ohio and Buffalo. The other thing to consider is that Turner Gill most likely won't be at Buffalo in 3 years, he is going to get a shot at a bigger program either after this year or definately after next season.

Who knows what Buffalo could be in 5 years if Gill stays there? Jim Leavitt built South Florida literally from the ground up. They are now a solid competitor. Maybe Gill would rather have his own legacy than take over someone else's. :dunno

Who knows what Buffalo could be in 5 years if Gill stays there? Jim Leavitt built South Florida literally from the ground up. They are now a solid competitor. Maybe Gill would rather have his own legacy than take over someone else's. :dunno

There is a major difference between USF and Buffalo, the BCS. USF is in a "power" conference with a guaranteed BCS invite and Buffalo is not. I just don't see Turner staying there too long.

Per OWH

Fans, coaches and media rarely agree on things, but news of three future games against Fresno State should draw unanimous praise. (After winning the College World Series, Fresno State must see Nebraska as heavenly ground).

NU has a dreadful nonconference slate from 2008-2010, stained by three games each year against lower-tier opponents seeking a paycheck. Starting in 2011, the schedule should get more interesting:

2011: Fresno State, Washington

2012: at UCLA, Southern Mississippi

2013: UCLA, at Southern Mississippi

2014: at Fresno State

2015: Southern Mississippi

2016: Tennessee, Fresno State

2017: at Tennessee

You’d have to assume Bo Pelini and Jeff Jamrog won’t be adding a marquee opponent to those seasons in which NU already has two capable foes. But the 2014 and 2015 seasons are crying out for a home-and-home with a big name. Keep an eye on those years.

In the Big 12 North, the most aggressive set of schedules belongs to Kansas State. The Wildcats have home-and-homes with UCLA in 2009-10, Oregon and Miami (Fla.) in 2011-12, and Virginia Tech in 2014, 2016. K-State’s neighbor, KU, has taken a more meek approach, scheduling home-and-homes with Duke, Rice and Southern Mississippi.

Oklahoma will go head-to-head with Florida State, Notre Dame, Tennessee and Ohio State by the end of 2017. And Texas A&M will meet Arkansas in Dallas every year for the next decade.

Here’s a rundown of intriguing future nonconference series around the country:

• Ohio State-Miami (Fla.) 2010-11

• Penn State-Alabama 2010-11

• LSU-Washington 2009, 2012

• Tennessee-Oregon 2010, 2013

• Florida State-West Virginia 2012-13 (surely Bobby Bowden won’t still be coaching, will he?)

• Georgia-Oregon 2015-16

Notre Dame will meet Washington State in San Antonio in 2009, Baylor in New Orleans in 2012, and Arizona State in Arlington, Texas, in 2013.

In case you were wondering, Florida isn’t scheduled to leave its home state for a nonconference game through at least 2015. That’s 24 straight seasons if you’re scoring at home.

Per OWH

In case you were wondering, Florida isn’t scheduled to leave its home state for a nonconference game through at least 2015. That’s 24 straight seasons if you’re scoring at home.

I'm sorry, but that is sad. What a bunch of panhandle p*ssies!

:yeah

However nice of K State to abandon their old ways. Looks like they are making up for previous regimes.

Hah...what with Global Warming, Tsunamis, Hurricanes and whatever other disasters the government plans on scaring America with over the next 3 years, I'll be surprised if any of these "tough match-up" schools will even exist anymore....most of em will be under water.

Plus, there is always the remote possibility that some of these stellar football teams could totally suck within the space of three years....it has been known to happen <_<

Per OWH

Here’s a rundown of intriguing future nonconference series around the country:

• Ohio State-Miami (Fla.) 2010-11

• Penn State-Alabama 2010-11

• LSU-Washington 2009, 2012

• Tennessee-Oregon 2010, 2013

• Florida State-West Virginia 2012-13 (surely Bobby Bowden won’t still be coaching, will he?)

• Georgia-Oregon 2015-16

Notre Dame will meet Washington State in San Antonio in 2009, Baylor in New Orleans in 2012, and Arizona State in Arlington, Texas, in 2013.

I don't see USC anywhere on this list...does that mean that the game with Ohio State is the only competitive non-conference game that they have scheduled?

No. Because that would take away yearly victories over Chippewa Reservation Valley and NW Mohican College.

But then again who knows? If Paterno is still going so will he. And he did coach at WV before FSU. Obviously I'm not a fan. ;)

There is a major difference between USF and Buffalo, the BCS. USF is in a "power" conference with a guaranteed BCS invite and Buffalo is not. I just don't see Turner staying there too long.

USF didn't start off in the Big East, they didn't even start in D-1. They began as I-AA in 1997, then became D-1 in 2001, as an independent. In 2003, they moved to Conference USA before moving to the Big East 2005. It wasn't an overnight deal that they moved to the Big East. Who's to say Buffalo won't move to a power conference, or join a conference that has yet to form? They have a similar enrollment as USF. Never say never and think of the big picture, maybe Turner is happy there and building it up.

Texas A&M will meet Arkansas in Dallas every year for the next decade.

wat

wat, wat, and wat

Sounds like they need a little Lincoln hospitality. :box

USF didn't start off in the Big East, they didn't even start in D-1. They began as I-AA in 1997, then became D-1 in 2001, as an independent. In 2003, they moved to Conference USA before moving to the Big East 2005. It wasn't an overnight deal that they moved to the Big East. Who's to say Buffalo won't move to a power conference, or join a conference that has yet to form? They have a similar enrollment as USF. Never say never and think of the big picture, maybe Turner is happy there and building it up.

I think it is safe to say Buffalo won't be in a BCS conference in the next 2 years. If there aren't any real prospects for them to move into one by then, I just don't see him staying. Good coaches all have egos that drive them to try and succeed at the next level.