Huskers appearing in some Top 25 Polls

Probably overrated. We're there kinda by default. A lot of teams ahead of us have lost and we haven't lost yet.

I guess it depends if you're a results ranker or a perception ranker. Percpetion-wise this probably isnt a top 25 team yet, but you're right about the default. Really, theres no reason to rank a VT, Tennesse, etc. over NU.

Disclaimer: I am NOT looking past the Va. Tech game, and I don't automatically assume that NU will win that one. But here are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

I think (and this may be a conspiracy theory) that NU, if they beat Va Tech by a couple of scores, will be ranked going into the Mizzou game.

It's like how the Huskers were ranked going into the USC game last year... they didn't deserve it, but since it was early in the season and nobody really knew, the polls put NU up there to make it a "must see" game.

Mizzou has the kind of national attention that makes people look a little harder at their opponents. People will take a good look at Nebraska, especially Bo, and (intentionally or not) make the game a big event.

If the Huskers lose to the Hokies, none of that matters. But if the Hokies limp away from that game after being embarrassed in Lincoln, look for NU in the top 25.

The way I see it, polls don't mean much until mid-October, except for the TV ratings.

I want to get ranked after beating Virginia Tech and hopefully Mizzou to earn our spot in the top 25.

I almost want to see us rated later in the season. I hate to make the top 25 after VT and then dropping out again if we lose to Mizzou, especially if it is a bad loss. That would be heart-breaking.