Callahans Recruits

holvy83

Ran across some rankings for this years potential top 100 draft picks-http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=851322

No Husker made the list, which basically tells me that ol' Callahan and the boys really did a number on progressing the talent with some of these kids. With all of the highly touted recruiting classes that we had during the Callahan Era it would have been nice to see that some of the guys that came in with him would leave with the NFL in their sights. <_<

I am sure the current staff will get them on the right track, and instead of automatically promising them the NFL, make them earn it for NU first.

Well, from Callahan's first recruiting classes, Brandon Jackson, Carl Nicks, and Zack Bowman are already playing in the NFL. After this year, look for Murtha, Lucky, Potter, Slauson and possibly Murillo to be in the NFL. Not exactly talent devoid, but maybe not as rich as the media had pumped it up to be and recruiting afficianados thought.

I think some of you miss the whole recruiting thing. We got a lot of top kids, but a lot of them left. His classes were highly ranked, but not because of high star levels, it was the number of 3 stars that he signed.

He over filled the classes, taking 31 one year. Yes our point average was high but the star value no where near the top programs. IE USC 8 5 star Nebraska 17 three star. WE end up close, but the talent level gets farther apart.

well, even if these kids had talent, they have only been "coached" for 3 games......hard to tell, but i tend to agree, the "talent" we recruited was over hyped, to a large degree........

90% of the kids recruited are over hyped! In the long run it's not about stars it's about playing with heart and desire. If star ratings where that accurate then USC would never allow a touchdown EVER. And we know that's not true, and that USC is beatable, and are every year.

It's the coaching that keeps them on top, recruiting just helps you stay there. Callahan was great at coaching up his offense. But completly ignored the D to his peril. No amount of stars could have saved that sinking ship!

Well, from Callahan's first recruiting classes, Brandon Jackson, Carl Nicks, and Zack Bowman are already playing in the NFL. After this year, look for Murtha, Lucky, Potter, Slauson and possibly Murillo to be in the NFL. Not exactly talent devoid, but maybe not as rich as the media had pumped it up to be and recruiting afficianados thought.

Enough talent depth for 8 man football. Hhhmmmmm .. . . National champion 8 man college team, by default

Look at Colorado's two frosh running backs, did the 5* guy or the 5' guy get 166 yds thursday?

Enough talent depth for 8 man football. Hhhmmmmm .. . . National champion 8 man college team, by default

Look at Colorado's two frosh running backs, did the 5* guy or the 5' guy get 166 yds thursday?

:dunno I didn't understand a thing you just said there.

One game makes Stewart better then Scott? Devine had a pretty good game for WV how many stars did he have?

I think he was saying that even if some don't want to admit it some of Billy C's kids have and will make it in the NFL, however the media overhyped the recruiting classes as a whole thus making people believe that there was more talent brought in then what actually was. I may be wrong but that is what I got out of his post.

I found this interesting USC starting lineup

POS ## OFFENSE

SE 1 Turner, Patrick :star:star:star:star:star

LT 71 Brown, Charles :star:star:star

LG 53 Byers, Jeff :star:star:star:star:star

C 61 O'Dowd, K. :star:star:star:star:star

RG 74 Heberer, Zack :star:star:star:star

RT 68 Lewis, Butch :star:star:star:star

SE 18 Williams, D. :star:star:star:star

TE 86 McCoy, Anthony :star:star:star:star

QB 6 Sanchez, Mark :star:star:star:star:star

FB 31 Havili, Stanley :star:star:star:star

TB 2 Gable, C.J. :star:star:star:star:star

POS ## DEFENSE

DE 84 Moore, Kyle :star:star:star:star

NT 99 Spicer, Averell :star:star:star:star

DT 75 Moala, Fili :star:star:star

DE 93 Griffen, E. :star:star:star:star:star

SLB 10 Cushing, Brian :star:star:star:star

MLB 58 Maualuga, Rey :star:star:star:star:star

WLB 43 Maiava, Kaluka :star:star:star:star

CB 7 Harris, Cary :star:star:star:star

FS 2 Mays, Taylor :star:star:star:star:star

SS 4 Ellison, Kevin :star:star:star

CB 24 Wright, S. :star:star:star:star

Avg Ranking 4.22 :star

How hard would it be to coach that much talent? Talent < Coaching or is it Coaching < Talent?

...Avg Ranking 4.22 :star

How hard would it be to coach that much talent? Talent < Coaching or is it Coaching < Talent?

Uhh..Both!?

What I want to know is why all those 4-5*s are going to USC and not UCLA.. <_<

(Maybe a case of the Coach>Talent? or at lea$$t to be able to attract the talent)

These condoms could hang with half of the NFC east and I'm afraid what they might do in a virtual game with our '95 Huskers.

No wonder L.A. doesn't miss the Lambs...er.. Rams

sheep.gif

I think some of you miss the whole recruiting thing. We got a lot of top kids, but a lot of them left. His classes were highly ranked, but not because of high star levels, it was the number of 3 stars that he signed.

He over filled the classes, taking 31 one year. Yes our point average was high but the star value no where near the top programs. IE USC 8 5 star Nebraska 17 three star. WE end up close, but the talent level gets farther apart.

2007 10 player 4 stars or better

2006 6

2005 13

is that usc type #'s?? no... we have never and will never get those types of classes

but compared to MU?

2005 1

2006 1

2007 4

KU?

07 1

06 1

05 2

you are smart enough guy to know that stars and services dont know it all. you are also smart enough to know that you cant just disregard them either. KU and MU have better players because the developed them and we didnt. if mangino would have got our recruits from from 04 to now and cally would have gotten KU's they would have beat us last year by 60+. same with MU.

well, even if these kids had talent, they have only been "coached" for 3 games......hard to tell, but i tend to agree, the "talent" we recruited was over hyped, to a large degree........

Hunter --- once more you succinctly hit the nail on the head --- Callahan was grossly overrated as a recruiter --- it was all hype. The talent Callahan brought in was of lower grade than what Solich recruited.

I think he was saying that even if some don't want to admit it some of Billy C's kids have and will make it in the NFL, however the media overhyped the recruiting classes as a whole thus making people believe that there was more talent brought in then what actually was. I may be wrong but that is what I got out of his post.

That was exactly what I was saying. :thumbs

Hunter --- once more you succinctly hit the nail on the head --- Callahan was grossly overrated as a recruiter --- it was all hype. The talent Callahan brought in was of lower grade than what Solich recruited.

so if the rankings are all hype answer this question for me.....why are KU and MU all of the sudden going after higher star players? have mangino and pinkle bought into the "hype" too??