Football Discussion

BamaBeta

Hi. I would like to introduce myself. I am an Alabama Alum living and working in South Florida currently. I am simply posting on here to begin a serious discussion of college football with some fans who I believe are very serious about their football.

To begin, let me say that as a long time Alabama fan, I dreaded the match up between Alabama and LSU with Bo Pelini as the LSU defensive coordinator. I think he is going to be successful as the Nebraska head coach and your team will be much better for having him at the helm and discarding the previous coach and his staff. He will bring a much more physical game to the field and the Huskers will be much better for it.

As a fan of an SEC team, I would also like to say that I feel that the Big 12 is very strong football conference. I am sure that many fans are quite tired of hearing about how strong the SEC is.

For the Big 12, Oklahoma and Tesax look strong. It is my opinion that Missouri is a bit overrated. I believe that a strong defense will slow their offensive production greatly. I look forward to the Texas/Missuori game. Chase Daniels and Maclin are talented, but letting Illinois hang 42 points and over 500 yards of offense is not a championship team.

Many football-educated fans of SEC teams feel the same way.

The other reason I am posting here is to solicit an opinion on the SEC, and even the ACC. Like I said, I am an SEC fan who speaks to other SEC fans when I go home and either ACC or SEC fans here in South Florida. I just want to hear what other fans think of these conferences and Alabama.

I will close by saying I have the utmost respect for teams like Nebraska, with the legendary Dr. Tom Osborne, and Oklahoma from the Big 12. These are classic teams like Alabama whose fans are football-educated and know the history of college football, unlike Florida fans who have no memory of college football before 1990.

I look forward to a good discussion and mutual respect. Best of luck in the season, and Roll Tide.

Hi. I would like to introduce myself. I am an Alabama Alum living and working in South Florida currently. I am simply posting on here to begin a serious discussion of college football with some fans who I believe are very serious about their football.

nebraskans are not serious about football: they are OBSESSED with it.

Hi BamaBeta.....

you have no argument from me...the SEC is the best conference, followed by the Big12.....I think the Big12 will battle for that title in the years to come, but the SEC is stronger....

...its nice to have football educated/savy posters from other teams...the new generation of fans cant really grasp the storied traditions of perennial power houses like Nebraska and Alabama....

I think Mizzou is rated where they should be.... Bama football is back, and I think you all will have a great year....Look for the Huskers to compete with anyone two years from now....GBR

BamaBeta,

It's really funny that you showed up when you did. I received both my A.B. as well as my M.P.A. from Georgia. I also currently work for UGA. I love the Dawgs, but have left NUMEROUS games at Sanford early and have literally run down Milledge to get back to the house in time for the Nebraska game. This weekend brings an interesting scenario. The girlfriend currently goes to Alabama, is coming in town for the game, and loves 'Bama football more than life itself; the Huskers are on at 8 PM...what do we do? Get comfortable at the house, on the couch, flipping between the Dawgs and the Huskers. Nobody else understands it down here, not that they would right in the middle of a championship run, but it REALLY is not the same as the essence of the Nebraska football tradition. Yeah, we actually know how you're suppoused to dress to games down here, but Husker fans are much more die-hard than any "hardcore" UGA fan that I know.

On a side note, I was at the "Bama-WKU game (first at Bryant-Denny) a couple weeks ago and was thoroughly impressed with the stadium, crowd, and turn-out for such an inferior opponent. I just might do my PhD work in Tuscaloosa after all!

http://frattinghard.com/

Welcome to the board, BamaBeta.

First off, let me say how much I love it that Vandy is on top of the SEC East. It's kinda funny, made me do a double-take when I saw that.

As far as Alabama goes, I have to say I'm impressed with you guys so far this year. You look to be well on your way back. Although I still think LSU is going to come out of your Division.

As for Mizzou, they are pretty damn good. Their defense wasn't all that great at the beginning of the year last year, but improved as the season went on... and I think we'll see that happen again this year. Oklahoma is for real. Texas... I don't know, I haven't seen them play yet this year. But I have to think that with Muschamp (sp?) as their D-coordinator they could give Oklahoma a run for their money.

All in all, I say, SEC is pretty damn good... Big XII is right their behind them (based on offensive fire power alone), ACC/Big 10(11)/Big East are at the bottom of the pile, but I'll give the ACC a slight edge.

welcome, the SEC is very tough....Missouri couldn't hang with Auburn or LSU....good to have you aboard.......Alabama looks damn tough too!

I just dont know hat to make of MU right now. I dont think that they are a top tier team, but just a step under that. the thing is I dont know that Daniel isnt enough to put them into the top tier. we'll have to see when he plays some real competition, but right now he looks like he is on a different level then anyone on college football. it should be interesting. I certainly think it will take a complete team to beat them.

Welcome BAMABETA. The SEC is the best conference. There is no doubt the talent level of the SEC. The speed and defenses are amazing. I watched the LSU/Auburn game, if those teams are any indication, however, I don't think there is any question that this year the Big 12 is much better offensively.

I think our own Huskers are a good example. I think we can move the ball on alot of teams, it is just a matter of whether our defense can stop anyone. Mizzou certainly falls in this fold as well.

MUCH RESPECT FOR THE SEC. I hope we have many SEC/Big 12 matchups come bowl season.

I thought the Auburn Nebraska bowl a couple years ago was a great game.....CALLY gave that one away in my opinion.

BAMA and the HUSKERS are on the rise..........all will be right with the world again!!!!

While I'll admit the SEC is very good. Could you please, for the good of all of college football. Tell your friends that chanting SEC....SEC......SEC, at the end of televised games, makes you all look COMPLETELY ridiculous!

We get it your the greatest, no one can compete with you(except in bowl games of course), you have more speed, hotter women, better weather, blah, blah, blah!

Just shut up about it already.

Welcome Bama,

I know that we all respect the SEC as a conference, it is always a pleasure to play an SEC team, and wish that we could get more of them up here in Nebraska for games rather than going down south. It would be interesting to know how the weather would have affected some of the bowl games in the past that we have had with SEC teams.

Right now, I think the SEC and the Big 12 are the two best conferences there is. Both have a lot of fire power, though I think the SEC is probably stronger on defense.

Welcome Bama! Agree about the whole traditional schools thing. Glad 'Bama is on the way back, though I'm not a Saban fan.

Seems the SEC is a bit down this yr. LSU/GA are the contenders w TN, KY, USC kinda down. I don't believe in FL yet.

I think the Big XII looks equal to the SEC right now, based on our offenses. But you have some hellacious D's down there... :yeah

welcome aboard Bama...looks like Saban got you guys going in the right direction. with all that young talent Alabama's gonna be really in the near future. As far as the SEC, in my opinion they are the best . There's so much athleticism and speed year in and year out. They literally beat each other up from top to bottom. Good luck!!

Bama Beta, welcome to the board. I live in SEC country! I do get tired of hearing how great the SEC is, but it is the truth. I guess the issue I have is with fans from lower tier SEC teams saying, "Well, we do play in the SEC"! BAH!

I was at the U of A's game this past Saturday in Fayetville and was glad to see the Hogs get dismantled! ROLL TIDE!

It seems to me the power shift occurred several years ago. Back when NU was making their NC runs. All I heard was how fast the SEC was. My argument was "Yeah, but the SEC doesn't play defense, they just try and outscore their opponents." Well, that has all changed now and I think the Big 12 are headed back to their defensive roots.

Good Luck to Bama the reset of the year!