THE SPREAD OFFENSE

OLDMAN

In my opinion the spread offense is ruining college football.

I don't enjoy seeing the ball go up and down the field basketball game style.

I don't like the high scoring games either.

These type of games don't build character in players............just the opposite.

What is your opinion?

Lets hear it from the more mature who post here.

And not the preteens who haven't seen other styles of offenses thru the years.

It's winning football games, and if you're a coach and you don't win, you get fired. Ask Bill Callahan. The Spread is here until the Spread Defense is invented.

So what spread offense has won a championship?

These type of games don't build character in players............just the opposite.

What is your opinion?

Wow I am not sure what to make of this. Are you sure you watched the NU games of the past 20+ years? It seems to me that the overwhelming majority of the ones I watched were pretty high scoring. Heck if NU didn't put 40+ on the opposing team then the fans were disappointed. The spread offense hasn't increased the upper limit of CFB scoring, I haven't seen an 80 point game have you? I remember a few 70+ point games in the past and they continue to occur today. If you really like old time football, then go look at the pioneers like Army, Notre Dame, etc. that pioneered what NU did. Oh by the way the forward pass was invented in there somewhere, just took a bit longer to get to critical mass is all.

Well, sports are a part of society/culture and thus highly symbolic of the values, worldview, etc.

There is ALOT of war symbolism in fb: 'troops, bombs, trenches, warriors, territory', etc. So it just depends on if you like war WWII style, or the new hi-tech, 21st century type thing.

And then there are all the class analogies: ground--blue collar; air--yuppy...yada yada yada. :boxosoap

What is your opinion?

you've posted this 3 or 4 times...i really don't think it's gonna change much, defense's job is to stop the scoring, until the stop the spread it's here, hell most people thought the power t and wishbone and power i were abominations of the game as well, and so did army with the foreward pass when it was first brought into play, the game changes.

Don't know how old you have to be to answer, Im in my 40s, and here is my oppinion. Whatever the offense does; STOP IT! Simple as that. The spread is not illegal, so either shut it down or shut up.

It's that simple...it's only a technique. You face a D that shuts down your run, you spread it out and open up your options...nothing wrong with that when you win.

What is your opinion?

It's winning football games, and if you're a coach and you don't win, you get fired. Ask Bill Callahan. The Spread is here until the Spread Defense is invented.

So what spread offense has won a championship?

Florida.

And LSU showed it last year w/ Perriloux.

WV also beat OU last year with it.

You asked.

I've noticed that OLDMAN tends to start a topic bashing something that he either doesn't understand or has an unfounded distaste for. After he posts he doesn't respond, he disappears for a bit, and he flares up again. If you think about it, it's comparable to herpes. At least it's not another "crucify Zach Potter" thread.

I guess with all the responses I get I think I have some fans!

I'll post this topic again in a few weeks and I'm sure you'll all respond again.

Because your addicted to my wisdom.

Now its off to take a nap............after all I did mow the grass today.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Oh yeah, Lucky sucks and so does Potter!

What is your opinion?

OK oldman lets not be TOO condescending! Sorry some folks don't remember what the 5-2 looked like in it's day. Or how important the Wishbone or power T was in it's hay day. :lame

I was born in '81' does that make me incapable of speaking the name on the great Bob Devaney? Matter of fact don't even answer, have a feeling I know how you might respond.