I Hate Our Offense

HuskerBCS

Im so sick of us trying to do the petty short passing CRAP. The play calling sucks but is predicated on the style of offense. The whole thing is really starting to wear on me. People who thought our offense was ever good under BC were severely mistaken. Why cant we just RUN the football and be physical. I think Im gonna go puke now.

I'm kinda with your there, but It isn't easy to run the ball without alot of practice time. However this dunk and dive crap is costing us rhythm. This "Nebraska" offense Watson chats about will take time and experience, but we also have to realize VT came to play and we didn't

If there is something to be concerned it's this. The VT sideline was organized and calm, this is the visiting team mind you.

Nebraksa's was a zoo. Players running everywhere, delay of game penalty's, POOR clock management. player's running into formation's late. From the stands some moments just looked like a chinese fire drill, all the while VT is waiting for us.

I'll chalk it up too inexperience, but for VT to come into town and look as organized as they did compared to the Skers, that's got to be first on the agenda of things to fix.

It isn't as much our offense as it is who we put out there. Our first 3 WR's are all possession WR's. While they are all good at what they do, they only benefit if they have compliments who are able to stretch the field to open everything up for them.

Put Paul, Curenski or Khiry on the field and let them stretch out defenses. Heck, put freakin' Marlowe or Donahue on the field. They at least have speed that teams would have to respect. That is granted they would be able to get off the LOS. :)

But seriously, quit trotting Swift, Peterson and Holt out there and expect defenses to even worry about anything going behind them. It's just not going to happen.

It isn't as much our offense as it is who we put out there. Our first 3 WR's are all possession WR's. While they are all good at what they do, they only benefit if they have compliments who are able to stretch the field to open everything up for them.

Put Paul, Curenski or Khiry on the field and let them stretch out defenses. Heck, put freakin' Marlowe or Donahue on the field. They at least have speed that teams would have to respect. That is granted they would be able to get off the LOS. :)

But seriously, quit trotting Swift, Peterson and Holt out there and expect defenses to even worry about anything going behind them. It's just not going to happen.

Come to think of it, I don't think we hardly ever threw your run of the mill deep ball. We threw some posts that went for big gains, but as far as having someone streak down the sideline...nah...not really. That's a bit of a problem.

My take on the offense is this, Lucky could be such a better runner if he would just explode out of the line of scrimage. He stutters, falls downs, and then gets tackled. Mr. Ganz did not play good at all. pretty much sucked the 1st half of the game. With all the problems, I think they need to adress is penalties. They are killing themselves. As far as I'm concerned, Nebraska gave them the game.

Come to think of it, I don't think we hardly ever threw your run of the mill deep ball. We threw some posts that went for big gains, but as far as having someone streak down the sideline...nah...not really. That's a bit of a problem.

1. Commit to the run! You have to be effective running the ball for playactions to work very well!

2. Run North and South, Lucky stops in the midst of runs, vs a FAST/AGGRESSIVE defense,that is not smart! Helu runs better, but needs to make one cut and go. Castille, don't just hammer up in there, RBs need vision or else you might get moved to FB!

3. Run no huddle some, I guess we don't cause the front seven has no depth?

4. Get the speedsters the ball on WR screens, tunnels, bubbles...

5. Finally, watch some film of the Okie State offense! They would be the model offense of the 21st Century version of Dr. Tom's Big Red Machine! Those dudes rush for over 300, pass for 2-300 and their QB, Zach Robinson is a very good runner. Their offense is the one to emmulate! I love it!

http://www.okstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SP...;ATCLID=1591641

I agree with this 100%

5. Finally, watch some film of the Okie State offense! They would be the model offense of the 21st Century version of Dr. Tom's Big Red Machine! Those dudes rush for over 300, pass for 2-300 and their QB, Zach Robinson is a very good runner. Their offense is the one to emmulate! I love it!

And I also agree with BigWillie 100%

Doesnt make much sense. How can any of those other WR's stretch the field if the designed route is short?

I thought Swift was a bright spot, and Peterson played well too. When Ganz actually threw down field last night, these guys made plays.

I dont think its the players out there that is the problem. If all you ever do is throw short slants and dump passes it doesnt matter if you have a deep threat. We need to run the football.

Another thing Im really tired of hearing coaches say is this...."We are going to take what they give us with this offense"

I think we should come in with the attitude that we are going to control the game and TAKE WHAT WE WANT. WE NEED AN IDENTITY AND A PURPOSE ON OFFENSE AND WE DONT HAVE ONE.

Im so sick of us trying to do the petty short passing CRAP. The play calling sucks but is predicated on the style of offense. The whole thing is really starting to wear on me. People who thought our offense was ever good under BC were severely mistaken. Why cant we just RUN the football and be physical. I think Im gonna go puke now.

We can't run because the offensive line is not opening any real holes on a consistent basis. Our running game was pretty sad looking most of the game, just as the passing was. We have a lot of work to do.

1. Commit to the run! You have to be effective running the ball for playactions to work very well!

2. Run North and South, Lucky stops in the midst of runs, vs a FAST/AGGRESSIVE defense,that is not smart! Helu runs better, but needs to make one cut and go. Castille, don't just hammer up in there, RBs need vision or else you might get moved to FB!

3. Run no huddle some, I guess we don't cause the front seven has no depth?

4. Get the speedsters the ball on WR screens, tunnels, bubbles...

http://www.okstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SP...;ATCLID=1591641

This is a fine idea, but WE CANNOT RUN THE BALL! Look at NU's struggles with running against their first two opponents. If they can't run the ball on Western Michigan or San Jose St, then how can we run on better teams? We consistently tried to "pound the rock" at San Jose, and it didn't work. It only worked against NMSU because of NMSU's size disadvantage and alignment.

The only thing that can help this running game this season is to commit to one back-- HELU--and use running plays with a lead blocker.

I totally agree. But doesn't Donahue have to sit out the year because of his transfer?

Watson does seem to get stuck in a rut sometimes with the play calling.

Doesnt make much sense. How can any of those other WR's stretch the field if the designed route is short?

I thought Swift was a bright spot, and Peterson played well too. When Ganz actually threw down field last night, these guys made plays.

The routes are designed more to personnel each play. When you have guys with limited speed and separation ability, it means less vertical routes.

I remember back to the spring game when a player (Slauson I think) said the only player that scares our defense as a vertical threat was Curenski. Early in that game we saw what his speed could do by getting behind our defense. But yet as impressive as Curenski was (even with his mental mistakes) we use him only for screens and dump-offs.

It makes no freakin' sense.

I totally agree. But doesn't Donahue have to sit out the year because of his transfer?

Watson does seem to get stuck in a rut sometimes with the play calling.

Very true. I was more or less PO'd last night when posting so I didn't even think about that. :)

Basically we lost this game because of only two areas in our game. Larry Asante still sucks for 1. Can't block on punt team and can't tackle as a safety. I've never been impressed wth anything I've seen from him. For 2, we have no offensive line. Period! The skilled positions on offense are fine and I was extremely pleased with the defense. They gave up some more yards in the 2nd half, but what can you expect when your offense puts you back on the field after a 3 and out over and over. Defense looked great! Ganz, Lucky, Helu, Peterson, Swift are all productive (with an o line) We replace Asante on D and get the o line figured out and we'll be great. I think getting Ganz outside the pocket more on designed boots and roll outs would be beneficial too. I guess it was frustrating cuz I had a lil of the koolaid myself and didn't even realize it. Thought I had realistic expectations, but I don't know... maybe I'm a little biased. lol

Playcalling was poor last night...very predictable in both running and passing. Very little mis-directions or anything to keep defense honest. I thought that was one of the main reasons we lost. Ganz couldn't find anyone open down field and the reason given by the broadcasters were that we don't have any speed receivers that could get separation from DB's. I totally agree with that. We are sunk with WR's that are not in the same league as other teams. Agasint good defensive teams like, VT and Oklahoma, we are really sunk.

We may be a little more competitive with the TTechs and Missouri teams as their defenses are not elite, but we will still struggle offensively. Lets face it, we have a ways to go to get back to 2-3 loss seasons, like it or not.