Abandoning the Running Game

why did we abandon the running game so early. I mean didn't lucky on his first two carries have 8 yards. But i wish we would run the ball more and establish the running game so we won't be one dimensional.

I would guess that the VTech athletic advantage of their DL relative to our OL is such that we could not run if we tried. Our OL is not good at drive blocking. The run game blocking is just not there. NU cannot run on a DL. And, if the edge rush is also good --- then NU cannot stretch the field in passing either. What happened at VTech was their DL owned the trenches and that enabled them to have the possession game in their hands --- our defense was always on the field. That is how NU used to own others. It is now how others own NU.

Pelini knows we cannot run the ball. He is doing what he can with what he has. Unfortunately, he does not have much.

This just might be me but don't you think our Offense is better with Watson on the sideline than up in the booth. I remember last year during our last three games when Watson was calling the plays that he was on the sidelines instead of up in the booths and our Offense was actually doing pretty good. This may be one of the STUPIDEST theories that I've ever thought about but maybe our offense will be better with Watson on the sidelines because obviously our Offense hasn't been clicking lately with him up there.

I'm going to get picked on with this post :lol:

why did we abandon the running game so early. I mean didn't lucky on his first two carries have 8 yards. But i wish we would run the ball more and establish the running game so we won't be one dimensional.

That's the million dollar question right there. Who knows.

Did anyone watch the USC Oregon State game? All Oregon State did was V block. The over aggressive USC DL then tried to fight the V to the outside while Oregon State just sent their 5'6 RB up into the middle of the V. There are definitely things that can be done by the OL even if they are outmatched and still run the ball effectively. Shawn Cosgrove has not shown me he is even willing to run the ball. We've played 4 games and really only tried to establish a running game in 1 or 25% of the time. I'm scared to death of what TT and Mizzou are going to do to us. With no running game and a nice 2 of 11 3rd down conversion ratio, we're going to get beat like a drum. Ganz has pretty much started where he left off last year. He throws a lot of INT's. Win, lose, or draw; we have to run the ball to stay in games this year.

Listen to Damon Benning talk about the running game. It's not just how many runs versus how many passes. It's when you run and whether you can depend on it. I have to say that this running game dropoff is literally a nightmare. We will lose to Missouri and Texas Tech because if it. The only chance we have is shortening the clock, keeping the score low, and stealing it at the end. If we get into a basketball game, it'll be over by the half.

This just might be me but don't you think our Offense is better with Watson on the sideline than up in the booth. I remember last year during our last three games when Watson was calling the plays that he was on the sidelines instead of up in the booths and our Offense was actually doing pretty good. This may be one of the STUPIDEST theories that I've ever thought about but maybe our offense will be better with Watson on the sidelines because obviously our Offense hasn't been clicking lately with him up there.

where ever Watson stands or sits......it's the same kids playing up front.....

Not by me! I've wondered the same thing. Something has to change with the way we are both calling the plays and then, more importantly, getting them to Ganz in a timely fashion. Cripes how many delay calls have we had already? - or had to waste timeouts because nobody was set on offense? I don't know if having Watson on the sidelines would help or not, certainly couldn't hurt any.