Abandoning the Running Game

Last night on Sports Nightly, they were talking about the running game. Seems more and more people are wanting to take Lucky and make him the 3rd down back because of his receiving and blocking ability. I think for him to have any future at all at the next level it will be as a 3rd down back. I really thought he'd have some sort of breakout season this year, but instead I think Helu has mearly passed him by.

Last night on Sports Nightly, they were talking about the running game. Seems more and more people are wanting to take Lucky and make him the 3rd down back because of his receiving and blocking ability. I think for him to have any future at all at the next level it will be as a 3rd down back. I really thought he'd have some sort of breakout season this year, but instead I think Helu has mearly passed him by.

2 different backs. I definitely think that each one's strength needs to be utilized more. Getting Lucky and Helu on the field at the same time would be a good move. Getting Lucky the ball in space via screens and swing passes would be a great alternative. Even sprinkle in some option with those 2 in the backfield. The running backs and line were supposed to be the strength of the team, I think they need to get a little more creative to get everyone involved more.

2 different backs. I definitely think that each one's strength needs to be utilized more. Getting Lucky and Helu on the field at the same time would be a good move. Getting Lucky the ball in space via screens and swing passes would be a great alternative. Even sprinkle in some option with those 2 in the backfield. The running backs and line were supposed to be the strength of the team, I think they need to get a little more creative to get everyone involved more.

Agreed. If Lucky were in on the same play Helu scored on he would have been down at the line of scrimmage. Helu can create some much better, he sees the cutback lanes and has the ability to move laterally. If there isnt a hole directly in front of Lucky he goes nowhere. Lucky is an incredible reciever, the guy catches everything. I think getting them on the field at the same time would definately make it easier to move the ball. Lucky would be great catching bubble screens from the slot. Helu is a huge threat to make you pay if you overpursue. I just think it would keep defenses on their toes alot more with both of them out there. Oh and lets try to move the pocket with Ganz get him moving, he is not a pocket passer. He does much better when trying to create.

Give Lucky more carries and he will produce. 8 carries is not what you give to your starting running back. Everyone is complaining about Lucky and the running game, but we are not focusing on running the ball. I know we don't have the atheletes on the O-line, bt that still doesn't mean we should give our starting running back 8 carries. Give Lucky around 20 and Helu abot 10. Then you will start to see some running game.

Give Lucky more carries and he will produce. 8 carries is not what you give to your starting running back. Everyone is complaining about Lucky and the running game, but we are not focusing on running the ball. I know we don't have the atheletes on the O-line, bt that still doesn't mean we should give our starting running back 8 carries. Give Lucky around 20 and Helu abot 10. Then you will start to see some running game.

Yeah, A running back needs to be in the game to get warmed up and establish himself. Helu is playing good no doubt, but when you put in lucky for a play, then substitute helu in. Getting going can be hard when your only in for 1-2 plays. More carries = more production. (Hopefully)

GBR!!!!

"We have to be efficient in the run and pass. We need to run the football better than we did last week," Pelini said. "That's always an issue and always something that we want to establish. Big part of the game. I've said from day one: You got to be able to stop the run and you got to be able to run the football to win championships."

why did we abandon the running game so early. I mean didn't lucky on his first two carries have 8 yards. But i wish we would run the ball more and establish the running game so we won't be one dimensional.

Seems like after the WMU game, a coach said the run game didn't go because

Watson says he called fewer running plays because Western Michigan loaded up the area around the line of scrimmage with defenders. He says that opened up passing opportunities.

A poster said they "put a ten man wall" in front of the huskers.

I guess SJS did the same thing.

Evidently NMS didn't have a ten man wall.

Hope Mizzou doesn't think of that.

But...

...every game is winnable

...find a way to win

GO BO!!BEAT MIZZOU!!