Crucial moment for Watson

NE Statepaper

A Crucial Moment for Watson

Commentary: Huskers' offense needs to be right Saturday

by Samuel McKewon

October 02, 2008

We take a short break from Tigers on the field to address the elephant in Nebraska football's living room.

For a month, NU offensive coordinator Shawn Watson has enjoyed the protection of head coach Bo Pelini's bend-but-rarely-break defense. Twenty times opponents have entered the not-yet-Blackshirts' red zone – the most chances in the Big 12. But foes have converted just eight of those trips into touchdowns.

With guile and toughness, the defense gave Nebraska a chance in its 35-30 loss to Virginia Tech and managed to keep San Jose State at an arm's length.

"Bo's got my back," Watson is fond of saying.

Time for "Wats" to return the favor.

Missouri’s rock band blows into Lincoln this weekend for a four-hour set in Memorial Stadium, and it’s up to Watson’s version of the West Coast Offense to keep Chase and The Gang backstage as much as possible.

“I’ve got a long history with (Mizzou), and that’s what you do – keep their offense off the field,” Watson said. “You’ve just got to possess the ball…you want to limit their touches.”

It’s a big week for the OC, who has replaced Bill Callahan as resident offensive brainiac and debuted to mixed reviews through four games.

A wonderful drive is offset by a couple of three-and-outs. Efficiency in the red zone is muted by poor play when the Huskers are backed up in their own end. While quarterback Joe Ganz stretches defenses and pushes the ball downfield, the short passing game – crucial on third downs – has faltered. That’s why Nebraska’s at 35.6 percent on third down conversions – 11th in the Big 12.

But this rose’s true thorn, of course, is the weak running game.

Aside from pummeling New Mexico State, an awful, gimmicky defense – as in 119th (or last) nationally against the run – Watson’s patented power running attack hasn’t shown up. Against Virginia Tech, the ground engine barely got revved up before Watson had Ganz flying not-so-friendly skies and throwing a costly interception to set up the Hokies’ first touchdown.

It’d be one thing if NU’s offensive line was, as the defense truly is, a “work in progress.” But the schemes haven’t changed. The linemen are in better shape. They have a better – or at least more proven – position coach in Barney Cotton. And Pelini spent most of fall practice pumping them up.

While fans and reporters wrung their hands over NU thin, seemingly unspectacular defensive line, they penciled in a top-shelf running game to help Nebraska control the ball.

As it turns out, Carl Pelini’s bunch has been the best thing about these Huskers. Cotton’s pipeline, meanwhile, either failed to execute against Virginia Tech, or wasn’t trusted enough to do it after a couple quick punts.

Watson bristled, as I expected he would, when he was asked last Saturday whether he didn’t believe his line could get him two, three yards on third down.

“That’s an unfair question,” he said, explaining the issue wasn’t trust, but a Tech defense determined to take away one phase of Nebraska’s game.

Well, Missouri’s going to try to do the same thing. The Tigers have a miserable defense – vs. the pass. Against the run, they’re giving up just 2.8 yards per carry. You get the picture: Mizzou can live with opposing offenses gobbling up yards and points - just as long as it doesn’t take too much time.

It’s a fool’s plan, really, and bound to bite Coach Gary in the Pinkel sometime this year, when quarterback Chase Daniel can’t bail him out with another 28-second drive. But it’s a winning strategy against the Huskers, whose still-figuring-it-out secondary will die on a vine if it is sent out there every four minutes.

Even Nebraska’s defense knows it.

“It’s always been said that the best defense is to have your offense on the field,” defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh said. “To have them run the ball down their throats and eat up the clock, that’s how the West Coast Offense is designed. That’s the way we want it to be run. The less time I’m on the field, the better.”

Said Watson on Tuesday: “We’ll go out there and give them our best shot with our run game. I like what our line’s done this week.”

The OC has made little tweaks. Keith Williams will be starting at guard over Mike Huff, who lost too many battles against Tech. Tight end Mike McNeill is a blossoming talent, and Watson acknowledged it. There also seems to be a hint – and only a hint – that Roy Helu, Jr. ultimately, gets four yards where Marlon Lucky might get two. Lucky never has like jamming his body into the tackle box; Helu, a rugby guy at heart, doesn’t mind the plunge into the trenches.

Are those changes too subtle? Can a smoldering Rome of a running game be rebuilt in a week?

Fans better hope so. Nebraska’s chances of victory rest on it

It’d be one thing if NU’s offensive line was, as the defense truly is, a “work in progress.” But the schemes haven’t changed. The linemen are in better shape. They have a better – or at least more proven – position coach in Barney Cotton. And Pelini spent most of fall practice pumping them up.

I find the highlighted statement may be a stretch. I think Billy C was a more proven OL coach then Barney. If they are talking about Wagner that may be up for debate as well. Don't get me started on the "better" part of it either.

I think Watson has a lot to prove after the first 4 games but if you ask me the OL coach has a lot more to prove. It is hard to run any kind of offense if the OL can't block and that is a direct result of their position coach if you ask me. The WR (Gilmore/Brown) blocking has improved, the TE (Brown) blocking gets better every game, RB (Beck) are improving in their blitz pcik-up, yet the only thing that has taken a step backwards from last year is the OL play and what is the difference between last year and this year? I'll give you a hint it rhymes with Farney Zotten.

I hope we come out and pound the ball the whole game. I just fear that if they score first we may ditch the run game and go into panic mode like we did against Va Tech.

I find the highlighted statement may be a stretch. I think Billy C was a more proven OL coach then Barney. If they are talking about Wagner that may be up for debate as well. Don't get me started on the "better" part of it either.

I think Watson has a lot to prove after the first 4 games but if you ask me the OL coach has a lot more to prove. It is hard to run any kind of offense if the OL can't block and that is a direct result of their position coach if you ask me. The WR (Gilmore/Brown) blocking has improved, the TE (Brown) blocking gets better every game, RB (Beck) are improving in their blitz pcik-up, yet the only thing that has taken a step backwards from last year is the OL play and what is the difference between last year and this year? I'll give you a hint it rhymes with Farney Zotten.

I hope we come out and pound the ball the whole game. I just fear that if they score first we may ditch the run game and go into panic mode like we did against Va Tech.

I dunno if I would say it's panic mode per se. I liked that we showed that we can play from behind...which we did at the end of last week's game. Pretty good chance we'll be doing that tonight, except we need to get the win this time!

Dont read into the MU defensive numbers. There is a reason why the run D looks so good, MU scores early and often, forcing the opponent to throw the ball and abandon the running game. I do believe that they can be run on, you just cant afford to do it when they are scoring left and right.

I will say that the offense playing so poorly is definately a surprise this season. :blink:

Don't let the stats form last year fool you. A lot of success came when the game was out of reach and the other teams reserves were in.

When you either won't (or can't) run; you are in trouble. In my opinion Helu should be getting the majority of the carries. However, just give SOMEONE the majority. This mess of everybody getting 6-9 carries is clearly not working.

agree, Watson ought to understand the basics, give Helu the ball 20-25 times per game, then Castille 8-10 times, Lucky 6-8 times. run, run, run and make them stop us more than twice......Watson and Barney's ass is on the line soon, if we can't gain 150 yards per game, average, going forward. seriously, i didn't like the return of Cotton again anyway.

Is Cotton here because that was part of the package Pelini had to accept in order to get the job??

NO he got the job cause he is a good coach! Our struggles are far more complex than "Barney can't get the job done". Geez guys get over the Cotton hatin' already!

Pretty good article, can't argue with much at all.

Is Cotton here because that was part of the package Pelini had to accept in order to get the job??

No because he was such a hot coach and we had to snag him up before any other big time programs did. :sarcasm

I would have to say Pelini brought him back because of the whole 03 thing. They probably had an agreement kind of like Bo and Ron Brown. :dunno

Disclaimer: Although Barney is a better OL coach then I am he wouldn't have this job if he didn't play at NU. Point blank end of story. :wacko:dedhoarse

No because he was such a hot coach and we had to snag him up before any other big time programs did. :sarcasm

I would have to say Pelini brought him back because of the whole 03 thing. They probably had an agreement kind of like Bo and Ron Brown. :dunno

Disclaimer: Although Barney is a better OL coach then I am he wouldn't have this job if he didn't play at NU. Point blank end of story. :wacko:dedhoarse

I must say, this is getting quite old very quickly. How can you blame this running game on the OL? If you only call 15 f*cking handoffs to the IB all game, you can't expect to get the OL on a roll. Running games traditionally take hold when the DL is tired. If they aren't being run against, they aren't tired. Seriously, this is about playcalling. I hope it improves tonight, because I can't believe that Nick Saban wanted this kind of one sided play calling in the SEC.

RUN THE DAMN BALL WATSON