A New Offense?

Are we even still running the WCO?

What I see out there is a hodge-podge.

At times they go out in the I and run it 10 out of 12 plays to open things up down the field a la after half time last night, which is a pretty traditional offense. This is the style offense I'd like to see us run, but the run blocking is so terrible up front that opposing defenses don't have to load the box.

Other times Ganz is throwing a lot of horizontal passes a la WCO, but again, the run isn't opening up because we can't run block.

I do think we need to ditch the WCO, but instead of the spread option, I'd like to see us go back to a traditional offense for two reasons.

First, clock control matters. Now I know everyone's gonna jump on me about the fact that we won time of possession while losing the game against Missouri. But, when you can actually FINISH drives that eat up clock by SCORING, you can keep your defense fresh and the opposing offense from getting any rhythm going.

Second, I think we have to look at where Big XII defenses are going over the next few years. I see most of these programs recruiting smaller, faster defenses, sacrificing some size and strength, in order to better defend the spread option. These smaller defenses are excactly the type that a traditional offense, with some powerful offensive lineman, can exploit. I think we already have two backs in Helu and Castille that fit this system, along with receivers that can stretch the field like Niles Paul. If we can upgrade our offensive line to one that is capable of supporting a power run game, I think we'll be in good shape.

Good points - particularly the second one.

One thing - regardless of the system, you have to commit to it. If Bo really does want a power running game - and I'm sure as a former defensive coordinator he does - the team will have to commit to running. Unfortunately, that's not our strength at this time, and it is not the best way for us to win, given our personnel.

What I expect will happen is that over the next few years we'll see a gradual shift toward that kind of offense, particuarly as we start recruiting to that.

My onle complaint with the offense, and maybe its the players we recruit, but it seems like NONE of the freshmen can grasp it and it takes them about 1-2 years to understand it. That to me means it may be too complex. Who was the last true freshmen to see the filed a lot on offense? I look at teams like Bama, Texas, OU and hell even Mizzou that play younger guys all the time and they do well. Maybe its execution and lock of talent, but get your play makers on the field and get them the ball. If it takes a lot of guys 1-2 years to figure things out, then its too complicateed.

Jesus I just want an offense.

There is no identity or scheme out there. It honestly looks like Watson is just haphazardly calling p;ays with no real plan of attack.

Also, its time to call out some of these 4 yr players that are quite frankly not leading this team. Murtha and the immortal Lucky come to mind. I'm not seeing any leadership.

I commented on this in another thread but it didn't get much play. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think about this.

Personally I'm now of the opinion that the west coast offense has failed and failed utterly. It is a useless system which has no big play ability, and the prancing nancy way we run it yields the results we've seen against teams like Missouri. Furthermore I'm of the opinion that Watson––if he wants to remain at Nebraska, anyway––should starting Monday begin the transition to another style of play. This is precisely what Missouri did a few years ago when they realized what they were doing just wasn't working.

My preference would be the spread option. To this end I'd like to see a few redshirts pulled and a committed effort by our coaching staff to prepare for the future. Starting next week I think more wrinkles should be worked into our existing cesspool of an offense. Hopefully near the end of the season our conversion will be well under way. If this means that Zac Lee has to perform the function of a series by series quarterback, so be it.

Of course this is only my opinion, but I defy any of you to mount an argument for our current system. Unfortunately Callahan's shadow still looms over this program, and all the irreparable damage he's done.

i just think Husker X might be well on to something here.......i tend to agree, we need a different O philosophy altogether. getting it from Watson, however, is quite unlikely.

Jesus I just want an offense.

There is no identity or scheme out there. It honestly looks like Watson is just haphazardly calling p;ays with no real plan of attack.

Also, its time to call out some of these 4 yr players that are quite frankly not leading this team. Murtha and the immortal Lucky come to mind. I'm not seeing any leadership.

well said......i wonder if Watson is seeing the same thing?

I dont know about you, but i question Watson's playcalling ability. When we run, we are usually in a jumbo set with a bunch of TEs moving around. Either that, or he's calling a PA pass were Ganz rolls out to find a TE for a 3 yard gain. Mizzou probably could of called "RUN" out 3/4 of the time it was a run before the ball was snapped. I know Ganz is good at rolling out and throwing on the run but hes taking unneccessary hits, and it doesnt look like we are too deep at QB. My solution- SPREAD. Watson needs to call plays like its late in the 2nd with 2 minutes left. We did it amazingly against VT, and on the first drive we did it a little against Mizzou and scored. Next drive, Watson goes back to the same old jumbo run or PA pass. Also, seems after every long pass or first down or whatnot thrown by Ganz, Watson decides to run the ball the next play. When Ganz gets hot keep passins (see Kansas State). Lastly, Watson should keep a RB in for at least one drive at a time so they can create a rythem so they can warm up to the game. But Im still in HS, what do I know? <_<

I commented on this in another thread but it didn't get much play. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think about this.

Personally I'm now of the opinion that the west coast offense has failed and failed utterly. It is a useless system which has no big play ability, and the prancing nancy way we run it yields the results we've seen against teams like Missouri. Furthermore I'm of the opinion that Watson––if he wants to remain at Nebraska, anyway––should starting Monday begin the transition to another style of play. This is precisely what Missouri did a few years ago when they realized what they were doing just wasn't working.

My preference would be the spread option. To this end I'd like to see a few redshirts pulled and a committed effort by our coaching staff to prepare for the future. Starting next week I think more wrinkles should be worked into our existing cesspool of an offense. Hopefully near the end of the season our conversion will be well under way. If this means that Zac Lee has to perform the function of a series by series quarterback, so be it.

Of course this is only my opinion, but I defy any of you to mount an argument for our current system. Unfortunately Callahan's shadow still looms over this program, and all the irreparable damage he's done.

i just think Husker X might be well on to something here.......i tend to agree, we need a different O philosophy altogether. getting it from Watson, however, is quite unlikely.

I couldn't agre with both of you more. His track record is less than impressive and if Watson can't get it done, show him the door.