Sending a message

Who is saying they were playing awful? One penalty a piece does not make a pattern. I didn't pay particular attention to either, so I don't know if they were playing awful or not. If they were playing awful, yeah bench them. However if this was the case, then don't come off saying they were benched because each received a holding penalty and this is punishment for getting one flippin penalty. I'll take a holding penalty by an OL anyday over a false start or illegal formation for not having enough bodies on the line of scrimmage. These are stupid penalties that are not acceptable.

Now if you wanna see a pattern, look no further than personal foul himself Suh. How many halves or quarters for that matter has he been benched? Dare I even bring up the spitting incident? The coaches can punish players for penalties how they see fit. I just want to see some kind of consistency when they do it.

No, you probably shouldn't, because it's an alleged spitting. Chase stated that he was spit on in the tunnel right before coming out on the field. Don't the teams enter on OPPOSITE sides of the field? In the words of Seinfeld, "That's one magic loogie."

As far as penalties go...ALL of the offensive penalties are starting to annoy me.

Holding in particular has been really annoying.

My feeling is that you should bench those with repeat holding penalties. Why? Because they are obviously getting beat and in a last ditch effort to protect their QB, they hold the defender. In my opinion, repeat holding penalties = not playing good. One holding penalty is acceptable, but that doesn't mean these players should consistently have at least one a game. It's getting kind of ridiculous.

Unlike the last 4 years when players played b/c of how many stars they had coming out of HS, not b/c of how good they were.

J. Bullocks, Seppo, Pilkington, Carriker, Fluellen, Herian, Mann, Todd, Shanle, Austin, Brothers, Byford, Dailey, DeLone, Green, McKeon, Patrick, Phillips, Brandenburgh, Christensen, Ganz, Huff, B. Jackson, Nunn, Panico, Sievers, Steinkuhler, Swift, C. Thomas, Congdon, Cryer, Glenn, Hickman, Z. Taylor, Turner, Wilson, Slauson, Culburt, Holt, M. Smith, C. Young, Blue, Titchner, Henery, and Kunalic.

What do these guys have in common? They were all rated 3 Stars or less by Rivals and saw action under Billy C. and the boys.

Wow some serious stat grinding there to find all that?

Anyways, in my opinion you put whoever on the field that will give you the better chance at winning, if that means someone who knows the system but is slightly less talented then so be it. As far as getting taken out for penalties I think that is a little excessive unless it becomes a consistent problem, not just 1 or 2 here and there.

The penalties that really pi$$ me off are 1) false start. Everyone in the huddle should know when the ball will be snapped. No reason at all for false starts. 2) Illegal formation. This is 11 man ball. You need 7 players on the LOS. The receivers simply have to ask the side and line judge if they're ok. No reason at all for an OL to ever get an illegal formation penalty. 3) Delay of game. If we get these, it was either because the coaches didn't get the play in there in time, or Ganz is just taking too long.

Holding calls happen. I didn't see either Smith or Huff dragging their man to the ground by holding onto their jersey.

Whether it be high school, college, or pro; ref's could call holding each and every play. If they were benched because they weren't getting the job done, that's one thing. If they were benched for getting 1 holding call a piece, well that' entirely another thing. Why does Suh seem to get a pass for each and every personal foul he commits?

yep. the play they called the face mask on us there was a hold that was 1000x worse. that is why the back to back calls were very.........well they sucked

no, you're saying that playing awful (which penalties will show) shouldn't make you lose your job. umm, i think it does.

Who is saying they were playing awful? One penalty a piece does not make a pattern. I didn't pay particular attention to either, so I don't know if they were playing awful or not. If they were playing awful, yeah bench them. However if this was the case, then don't come off saying they were benched because each received a holding penalty and this is punishment for getting one flippin penalty. I'll take a holding penalty by an OL anyday over a false start or illegal formation for not having enough bodies on the line of scrimmage. These are stupid penalties that are not acceptable.

Now if you wanna see a pattern, look no further than personal foul himself Suh. How many halves or quarters for that matter has he been benched? Dare I even bring up the spitting incident? The coaches can punish players for penalties how they see fit. I just want to see some kind of consistency when they do it.

the alleged spitting event that was allegedly suh... no you cant hold that against him.the only penalty of his I dont agree with was the one after the pat. the others were close.... plus lets be honest... the guy is clearly our best player on D. the few plays he has come out you notice an immediate difference

If you think the refs and sideline judges (Cy) are going to be any more fair then your mistaken.

I believe Cy is on the chain gang. Sideline and line judges are part of the reffing crew. They're the ones that mark the spot for the Umpire to place it in the field of play. Yes, they will tell you whether or not you're on the line or offsides. In high school anyway, it's highly recommended that receivers do check with them to make sure they're lined up on the line and/or not offsides.

I love the idea that they are being held responsible for their play. If you want to start...be the best...if you want to play, play your best. No excuses for lame penalties inside the red zone...Murtha's false start is one that got my ire up...it wasn't that loud at that point, we had kind of taken the crowd out of the game, no excuse for it.

Maybe Suh gets more of a slide (as someone keeps mentioning) b/c the O-Line has more depth. The O-line has more guys with experience to replace a player. The D-Line does not. That's just the way it is. Does that make a coach unfair? I wouldnt think so. Fair is one thing. There are other methods to try to correct a player from making penalties. Or not playing up to par. Or having an "off" game. Benching happens to be one of them. But it is not the be all / end all.

Did anyone even notice the message sent to Suh after his PF? He was yanked off the field and met 5 yards from the sideline by none other than Pelini. Pelini couldn't punish Suh for the late hit against VaTech because he didn't believe it was a late hit. The other PF, well does anyone actually know what that was about??? Anyways, so Pelini is holding him responsible for one PF that he did on his own because of his own stupidity, and Pelini sent a message by yanking him to the sideline instantly. Now TT was in my opinion a game where Pelini and the coaches did everything they could do to allow this team to win, it was the players that blew that game. And the stupid mistakes they made are what Pelini was pulling them from the game for, or not playing them or yelling at them for, and even going as far as getting after the position coaches for there mistakes. It's not an argument of having favoritism over one player or another or needing Suh in there so he gets a slide, it's about making a point that mistakes won't be tolerated. How many penalties has the D-line had this year? O-Line? How many for the O-line after halftime of the Tech game, was there a reason to put Huff or Smith back in if Burkes and the others weren't making the mental errors? Take all that into consideration. I think we are trying to add to much into this.

Did anyone even notice the message sent to Suh after his PF? He was yanked off the field and met 5 yards from the sideline by none other than Pelini. Pelini couldn't punish Suh for the late hit against VaTech because he didn't believe it was a late hit. The other PF, well does anyone actually know what that was about??? Anyways, so Pelini is holding him responsible for one PF that he did on his own because of his own stupidity, and Pelini sent a message by yanking him to the sideline instantly. Now TT was in my opinion a game where Pelini and the coaches did everything they could do to allow this team to win, it was the players that blew that game. And the stupid mistakes they made are what Pelini was pulling them from the game for, or not playing them or yelling at them for, and even going as far as getting after the position coaches for there mistakes. It's not an argument of having favoritism over one player or another or needing Suh in there so he gets a slide, it's about making a point that mistakes won't be tolerated. How many penalties has the D-line had this year? O-Line? How many for the O-line after halftime of the Tech game, was there a reason to put Huff or Smith back in if Burkes and the others weren't making the mental errors? Take all that into consideration. I think we are trying to add to much into this.

:sarcasm Yeah, I used to have a baseball coach that always said "Do as I say, not as I do", that is about all Bo can say to Suh about those penalties after he got one himself. It reminded me of the scene in the movie "Radio" when the coach gets a PF, then Radio emulates him and gets one, then the coach gets another one and asks the referee "Do you have any more of those flags in your pocket?".

Unlike the last 4 years when players played b/c of how many stars they had coming out of HS, not b/c of how good they were.

J. Bullocks, Seppo, Pilkington, Carriker, Fluellen, Herian, Mann, Todd, Shanle, Austin, Brothers, Byford, Dailey, DeLone, Green, McKeon, Patrick, Phillips, Brandenburgh, Christensen, Ganz, Huff, B. Jackson, Nunn, Panico, Sievers, Steinkuhler, Swift, C. Thomas, Congdon, Cryer, Glenn, Hickman, Z. Taylor, Tiedke, T. Peterson, Turner, Wilson, Slauson, Culburt, Holt, M. Smith, C. Young, Blue, Titchner, Henery, and Kunalic.

What do these guys have in common? They were all rated 3 Stars or less by Rivals and saw action under Billy C. and the boys.

Nice list. I'll just name 2.

Marlon Lucky over Brandon Jackson for quite a while.

Sam Keller over Joey Ganz.

I don't know about Sam's stars, but I think we all know who the better player is/was.

I think you know what I meant by my statement, but thanks for standing up for one of the worst coaches in NU history! :sarcasm