penalties = running time for the team

http://journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php?ti...p;tb=1&pb=1

You held? You jumped? You run.

With penalties becoming a big issue for the Huskers, Matt Slauson said Nebraska coaches have now built in a punishment for each penalty accumulated, which explains why a bunch of sprints were being run at the end of Monday's practice.

"We have to run a half-gasser for every penalty in the game, so we had to run six for the offense," the senior offensive lineman said, noting that is a sideline-to-sideline run and back.

Three holds against Tech. Three false starts. Six sprints. Nebraska had eight penalties total against Tech for 55 yards. NU is averaging nine penalties a game (114th out of 119 teams in the country) for 71.5 yards (107th in the country).

"Now, we're also doing it in practice. If Coach sees a hold during practice or somebody jumps offsides, then you'll have up-downs to do or push-ups or something like that," Slauson said.

Everyone has to run the sprints, not just the guy who committed the act.

"I'm not very good at running, especially long. I'm good at between at zero and 10 yards, that's really my cup of tea. But really, all jokes aside, you just have to take the punishment the right way whether it's easy or not. You can't be having drive-stoppers like that. Whether you have a few push-ups to do or 10 up-downs or you have to run, it all has to be taken the exact same way."

Added Slauson: "It's mostly for the person who got the flag because they're like, 'Man, now I'm making all my friends run, too.' So that's the biggest thing because that will be sitting in the back of their head next time."

How about delay of game penalties? I'm still not sure whether this is strictly on Ganz or if the coaching staff should shoulder some of the blame there. How about having to call timeouts just to prevent delay of game penalties?

From my observations this is mostly on the coaching staff. We are STILL not getting the play in until very late. There have been times we have got to the huddle at 15 seconds, when IMO we need to be breaking the huddle at that time. I guess i favor more plays being signaled in rather then ran in. We are getting better, and i know that comes with time, but i cant wait.

Also, there have been some BS delay calls against us this year where the ball was post snap as the clock hit 00

Anyone else noticed how some refs call it right at 00 and some wait what seems like a half second? maybe thats something that needs to be a "point of emphasis" rather then the celebration penalty.

It is about time they do something. I have never seen a undisciplined team that has so many penalties be a winner. Dr. Tom would have never stood for it, especially game after game. Though Dr. Tom also got his share of delay of game penalties because he didn't get the play in on time...at least one or two a game in fact.

Will this kind of thing going to help with holding penalties? :dunno

False starts & personal fouls are unneccessary back breakers. I see it helping with those mental breakdowns. And missed open field tackles as well.

We had to do the same thing when I was in high school, except it was a gasser for every yard of penalties. I remember one night being at practice until about 8:30, they had to turn the lights on. After that, penalties were greatly reduced.

Mother of God! Our linemen are going to look like wide receivers by the time the season ends!

make sure they are assigned number as eligible receivers and throw another quarterback into the mix and we'd have the ULTIMATE spread offense!

now that would be something to see a team line up like that in a college game. the defense wouldn't have a clue on what to do! Looks like the perfect offense for Boise to run :wacko: