CFN Prediction: NU vs ISU

Saunders

Nebraska (3-3) at Iowa State (2-4), 12:30 EST

Why to watch: It’s do-or-die time for two teams that came into the season thinking bowl game and are now looking just to turn things around. Nebraska appeared to be on the verge of a huge win for the Bo Pelini era in last week’s showdown at Texas Tech, but despite a great comeback, the team suffered a tough 37-31 loss as Joe Ganz got picked off when he was simply trying to throw the ball away. While Baylor is better, the Huskers have to look to this week and next week’s game against the Bears as a chance to go on a little run before dealing with Oklahoma and Kansas. On the other side, Iowa State had suffered two heartbreakers with an overtime loss to UNLV and a second-half collapse against Kansas, and then came the real stunner with a lifeless 38-10 loss at Baylor. On a four-game losing streak, and with a tough stretch of three road games in four weeks coming in November, the Cyclones have to beat the Huskers to have any hopes of a 13th game.

Why Nebraska might win: Ganz should be able to pick apart the Cyclone secondary. Gene Chizik lets his defensive backs hang, and despite a decent pass rush, the production hasn’t been there against efficient passing teams. Nebraska should be able to run the ball if it wants to, but it’ll have the most success when Ganz is able to get into a rhythm and start throwing, like he did late in the game against Texas Tech.

Why Iowa State might win: The Nebraska defense has decided to go bye-bye. After doing a decent job against the non-BCS teams, the Huskers struggled to stop a mediocre Virginia Tech offense and was ripped up by Missouri and Texas Tech. There’s no shame in having problems against the Tigers and Red Raiders, but the defense really isn’t playing all that well. Iowa State has to come out hot like it was in the first half against Kansas. The Cyclones don’t have a high-octane passing game, but it can be effective in spurts.

Who to watch: With running quarterback Phillip Bates leaving the team, it’ll be up to the running backs to start to pick up the slack. That didn’t happen last week against Baylor as Alexander Robinson ran for a mere 32 yards on nine carries and J.J. Bass finished with 36 yards on six carries. The Cyclones got behind and had to start chucking, but they have to establish the ground attack early on.

What will happen: Iowa State will play well, but Nebraska’s offense will light up when needed in the second half and Austen Arnaud and the Cyclone passing game won’t be able to answer.

CFN Prediction: Nebraska 34 … Iowa State 24 … Line: Nebraska -6.5

Nebraska's offense needs to show last week was no fluke and put together more time consuming scoring drives. Keep the D off the field as they are still learning to walk with baby steps. A good sign for the D is if they can string together some three and outs. They need to worry about tackling and coverage first. Once they get that mastered then the takeways will start to appear.

I think last week was a turning point in our season, things started to click. Pelini says this is the best week of practice all season. I think this one could turn ugly. I expect to win by 17 if not more. Skers take out fustration and are all over ISU from start to finish, skers win 42 - 17.

This matchup has gotten a lot closer over the past 5 years. I dont think this will be a "show up" victory. Some might think so. But I dont buy into it.

I'd like to see consistent productivity on both sides of the ball. No time for a let down, some bad plays, or a bad game. These guys need to get after it for 4 qtrs. And build off last week's effort & the way they exectuted. I think this week's game will be real close. If the Huskers should roll, then we can look back at the TTech game as a possible turning point. But I'm not expecting anything other than a close one.

I'm glad it's an early game. I cant wait to see the damn kickoff.

This matchup has gotten a lot closer over the past 5 years. I dont think this will be a "show up" victory.

i don't think bo and the staff will let it be a 'show-up' victory. huskers need to execute against *every* team they play, ISU is no exception.

the TT game may be the watershed game this year proving that when this team *wants* to get it done, they can get it done.