TIME FOR BLACKSHIRTS?

TIME FOR BLACKSHIRTS?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The blackshirts were never intended to raise anyones confidence. It was a reward for effort, stong play and consistent perfection. (or as close as you can get) Stopping ISU shouldn't be that hard. I really hope they are awarded this year sometime but, maybe not yet. Or maybe to the best two or three performers first. Part of the problem here is, everyone keeps saying "when will they be given out. I hope they never are.

The blackshirts were never intended to raise anyones confidence. It was a reward for effort, stong play and consistent perfection. (or as close as you can get) Stopping ISU shouldn't be that hard. I really hope they are awarded this year sometime but, maybe not yet. Or maybe to the best two or three performers first. Part of the problem here is, everyone keeps saying "when will they be given out. I hope they never are.

Originally they were given to the first team defense when 2 platoon football evolved. It has evolved to mark excellence over time.

Just setting the history right.

Eh, I would have to say no to giving the shirts out to motivate the D before any game the remainder of the year. If they got the shirts and then went in and had a sub-par performance, it would take away from the whole reason it was given to them. I agree with others in that if they do outstanding against OU, OK State or CU, then give it to them in the locker room after the game. Or how about giving it to the individual players who are consistantly showing progress/effort week in and out, until all have them by the end of the year?

I hoped that blackshirts would have been out by now, but whatever. I'll wait and see, I'm sure Bo knows what he's doing.

IMO: Never hand out blackshirts based on performance. First of all, blackshirts aren't that easily given out. Oh, one good game, blackshirts out. A so-so game, take them away again. Great game, back out. >_>

Furthermore, you're never, ever going to see a satisfactory performance. Ever. Part of the whole philosophy is "we can always get better", and satisfaction isn't part of that equation.

Same is true for fans. "Well, we owned them, but it was ONLY Team X..." "Well, true, we stuck it to <highly ranked> Team Y, but they're probably just overrated and will wind up with 4 losses this year." "Well, the defense got 3 picks, but still gave up two big plays." "Well, you know, there were all these missed coverage assignments..."

I mean, seriously. We're in a bit of a unique, tradition-breaking situation this year (let's face it)...the blackshirts will come out when they do, but please please please stop calling for blackshirts based solely on one game (or even cumulative) performance.

They have done nothing to deserve them. Blackshirt equates excellence. Not even close.

That's the problem if you ask me. It's becoming a silly game. It's coming to the point where we will only give them out with a perfect season or something. With the way the coaches view it now, the team will never be given them, or "earn" them, if you prefer.

They have done nothing to deserve them. Blackshirt equates excellence. Not even close.

That's the problem if you ask me. It's becoming a silly game. It's coming to the point where we will only give them out with a perfect season or something. With the way the coaches view it now, the team will never be given them, or "earn" them, if you prefer.

They dont have to have a perfect season score wise but every single game so far has had blown coverage after missed assignment after arm tackle etc etc etc.

So no they dont get them until that gets fixed.

They dont have to have a perfect season score wise but every single game so far has had blown coverage after missed assignment after arm tackle etc etc etc.

So no they dont get them until that gets fixed.

True, the blown coverages and missed assignments have been huge, but I think that should be the only thing standing in the way.

I hoped that blackshirts would have been out by now, but whatever. I'll wait and see, I'm sure Bo knows what he's doing.

IMO: Never hand out blackshirts based on performance. First of all, blackshirts aren't that easily given out. Oh, one good game, blackshirts out. A so-so game, take them away again. Great game, back out. >_>

Furthermore, you're never, ever going to see a satisfactory performance. Ever. Part of the whole philosophy is "we can always get better", and satisfaction isn't part of that equation.

Same is true for fans. "Well, we owned them, but it was ONLY Team X..." "Well, true, we stuck it to <highly ranked> Team Y, but they're probably just overrated and will wind up with 4 losses this year." "Well, the defense got 3 picks, but still gave up two big plays." "Well, you know, there were all these missed coverage assignments..."

I mean, seriously. We're in a bit of a unique, tradition-breaking situation this year (let's face it)...the blackshirts will come out when they do, but please please please stop calling for blackshirts based solely on one game (or even cumulative) performance.

Why not give them out for performance? Sure, satisfactory performance is arguable between any 2 people, but if they aren't easily given out, then what else to hand them out for except said performance? Evidently the players removed the shirts last year cause they didn't feel they were keeping with the tradition. Performance was the key in past, and when it happens, why not reward it?

I can see ur point on giving the shirt to the team instead of individuals. That said, the D as a whole needs to get on board with those who are making a name for themselves...personal fouls aside.