TIME FOR BLACKSHIRTS?

TIME FOR BLACKSHIRTS?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Black shirts were more of a name before the 90's. Did not really mean what it means today. It became an honor to be a Blackshirt and they fought like hell to do it.

I agree there are some on the team that fit the bill, but some have no business starting at Nebraska let alone being a Black Shirt. Our standards have dropped due to the last coaching staff. Bo is raising those standards to where they mean something, not only to him but the team. What ever he decides will be right as far as I am concerned. He knows the effort, the level of learning and the desire.

We take a major ass beating from Oklahoma shortly afte awarding the Blackshirts, they will be the laughing stock of college football. This program needs honor and pride. If they play Oklahoma tough and we lose no problem then. We get use like a 2 dollar whore, no need to put them up for ridicule.

Maybe it is time to make our traditions better, not lower them.

no. Bo wants perfection.

they are getting better week to week and this week will be a big test against Griffin and back home in front of the home fans

if they put up a good showing against OU i think there's a chance Bo will reward a few seniors toward the end of the year, if the deserve it

no. Bo wants perfection.

they are getting better week to week and this week will be a big test against Griffin and back home in front of the home fans

if they put up a good showing against OU i think there's a chance Bo will reward a few seniors toward the end of the year, if the deserve it

I don't think a "good showing" is enough. I think it needs to be a big win and maybe even a couple wins.

We take a major ass beating from Oklahoma shortly afte awarding the Blackshirts, they will be the laughing stock of college football. This program needs honor and pride. If they play Oklahoma tough and we lose no problem then. We get use like a 2 dollar whore, no need to put them up for ridicule.

:yeah

Might just be something they give the seniors after the end of this season at this point. :dunno

BTW I think the defense is improving and interested to see how it performs in some of the high scoring re-matches from last year.

It should be noted while holding Iowa State to 7 points doesn't sound too impressive, it's a heck of a lot better than the D had been playing:

Defense steps up

The 218 total yards for Iowa State on Saturday weren't just the lowest allowed this season by the NU defense, but the least since Nevada managed just 185 in the season-opening game of 2007.

The last time NU held a Big 12 opponent to fewer yards was when it limited Colorado to 212 in the final regular-season game of 2005.

Asked how Nebraska was able to bend but not break for much of Saturday, Carl Pelini said: "Heck, for a while there we didn't even bend."

Iowa State gained 67 of its yards on a touchdown run by Alexander Robinson two plays into the second half. The Cyclones had no other runs longer than 10 yards and no pass plays longer than 16.

"It's funny because they knew right away what the mistake was and why it happened," Pelini said of ISU's long run. "It was just the attitude of, 'Hey, it ain't going to happen again.'"

Of course Pelini wasn't too happy either:

Pelini didn't seem all that impressed with the yardage figures, both a season-low for Iowa State and the NU defense.

"I'm not happy until we hold them to about 150," the first-year coach said.

If we wouldn't have gave up that damn 67 yard td. Then yes Pelini would have been happy and it may have happened then. I think that if we execute the way we did last week, against Baylor (I know they are not all that good) then I think it is time to hand them out. I think it would help with their confidence for the rest of the tough games coming up. I am not saying Baylor is going to be a cupcake either

Its a bit of the question, are the offenses that good or the defenses that bad? Given what the Big 12 did in non conference, it leans more to the offenses are that good. With the rules as they are, an accurate QB can shred even good defenses if his line buys him a few seconds.

That said, until NU stops someone who actually HAS an offense, no Blackshirts.

Its a bit of the question, are the offenses that good or the defenses that bad? Given what the Big 12 did in non conference, it leans more to the offenses are that good. With the rules as they are, an accurate QB can shred even good defenses if his line buys him a few seconds.

That said, until NU stops someone who actually HAS an offense, no Blackshirts.

Who did anyone in the Big 12 even play in nonconference? VT who doesn't have a highly touted offense by any means put up quite a few points against us. South Florida put up quite a few points on KU. Florida State put up quite a few points on CU. Aren't these the only ranked teams anyone in the Big 12 played in nonconference?

Dumb question and maybe it was asked all ready. What happens if he gives out the blackshirts today and then the defense gets destroyed vs OU? The same people in here clamoring for the blackshirts to be handed out will be the first ones to call them the PinkShirts.

Get over it. He'll hand em out when he feels the team deserves them. It will probably come after a game in which no mental mistakes are made or when we completely dominate a good offense. Take a chill pill, they'll get em someday.

The thought hasnt even crossed my mind. Not until it's mentioned. It's becoming drama.

Regarding the situation, I feel the way newearthhusker put it:

"Why was it ok to toss this "tradition" aside just to make a point? So does this mean we could have Blackshirts one year and then the next year the "tradition" gets tossed aside to make a point? That seems like B.S. if you ask me.

I feel bad for kids like Potter and Steinkulher who grew up looking up to the Blackshirts, have shown up every game, have done what has been asked of them, have improved with every game, but because a point wants to be made they don't get the honor of wearing the Blackshirt. Once again I say that is B.S."

Especially about Potter & Steinkuhler. I dont think you give out a few. But it's not their fault if the play of others keep these shirts from being passed out to these two big dogs up front. Or to prove a point as mentioned.