TIME FOR BLACKSHIRTS?

TIME FOR BLACKSHIRTS?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When we beat a team the real Blackshirts would have then we can talk about giving them out. We got close with Texas Tech as far as a quality win, but defensively we sucked.

They are not there yet, and I don't think they will be this year. Make it mean something, not just spend time in the ranks to get them.

The past staff destroyed the meaning of them, no reason to rush back into handing them out. And that is exactly what we would be doing, just handing them out. They have not been earned period.

When we beat a team the real Blackshirts would have then we can talk about giving them out. We got close with Texas Tech as far as a quality win, but defensively we sucked.

They are not there yet, and I don't think they will be this year. Make it mean something, not just spend time in the ranks to get them.

The past staff destroyed the meaning of them, no reason to rush back into handing them out. And that is exactly what we would be doing, just handing them out. They have not been earned period.

:yeah

There were some pretty crappy defenses in the 80s and the starters all got blackshirts before the first game. That is the tradition. And that is why I think it should continue. If you want a tradition based upon a trophy for performance, fine, I can get behind that, but make a new one. This ISN'T the blackshirts tradition.

Have you seen the video at the games. That does not indicate just a starter. We have made them into something far more important.

The reason for them was to tell the starting defense in a two platoon system. Actually no need for them at all as the defense has its own practice. Let's do away with them if your going on history.

Ask the Peters if they think they should be awarded on what they have seen. Ask any of the players in the mid 90's if this team looks like black shirt material, as what Blackshirt has come to mean not historically.

Excellence, heart, devastation, loyalty, brotherhood, above all else. Do you really feel this edition is what we want to call Blackshirts. I guess our standards have been lowered so far, we just want the name, not the action.

I have yet to see one on this team, there are several close, but overall not even near to what they need to be to deserve the accolades the video system gives them.

I don't think Bo needs to give out any blackshirts. Iowa St is the worst offensive team in the big 12. They kept running 7 yd routes when they needed 10 yds for the first down and the Texas Tech game? Tech ran 40 something plays and still had over 400 yds or about 10 yds/play. Those are not blackshirt type numbers.

Name me one Defense who has kept TT under 400 yards this year?

Name me one decent defensive team TT has played.

Our offense controlling time of possession is the only reason TT didn't rack up more yardage.

Have you seen the video at the games. That does not indicate just a starter. We have made them into something far more important.

The reason for them was to tell the starting defense in a two platoon system. Actually no need for them at all as the defense has its own practice. Let's do away with them if your going on history.

Ask the Peters if they think they should be awarded on what they have seen. Ask any of the players in the mid 90's if this team looks like black shirt material, as what Blackshirt has come to mean not historically.

Excellence, heart, devastation, loyalty, brotherhood, above all else. Do you really feel this edition is what we want to call Blackshirts. I guess our standards have been lowered so far, we just want the name, not the action.

I have yet to see one on this team, there are several close, but overall not even near to what they need to be to deserve the accolades the video system gives them.

Unlike the previous four years I have heard rumors that the offense and defense do occasionally scrimmage each other during the week.

I like that! Ask the Peters!!! :) SLAMMMMM

I truely don't know when to give them out, but will back Bo when he does but I don't believe you give them out to a Defense ranked around what 50-60th in the nation?? (Give it to them because they are trying really really hard?)

Wait till next year, hmmmm maybe halfway through the season and if the Defense is ranked in at least the top 25 then post the question again!

BlackShirts = Defense ranked 55?? :wtf

If they only handed them out to defenses that played like the ones from 93-97 & 99 no NU team would ever get them. They need to go back in time and make all the guys from the 80's 90-92 and 98 give theirs back.

Why was it ok to toss this "tradition" aside just to make a point? So does this mean we could have Blackshirts one year and then the next year the "tradition" gets tossed aside to make a point? That seems like B.S. if you ask me.

I feel bad for kids like Potter and Steinkulher who grew up looking up to the Blackshirts, have shown up every game, have done what has been asked of them, have improved with every game, but because a point wants to be made they don't get the honor of wearing the Blackshirt. Once again I say that is B.S.

Didn't all the senior defensive guys get Blackshirts their senior years? I may be mistaken on this one but I believe that was the deal.

The point of this thread is silly, no offense to anyone.

Bo will know when to give them back and the fact that all this clucking is going on over what criteria has to be met to give them back to the D is really pointless.

We need to worry about winning football games, not when Bo is going to re-establish a tradition....

Yes, it is time to give them out. It is ridiculous that they haven't been given out. The point of not giving them out has been made, and the defense has improved. The tradition is being turned on its head...

nope, not true. the shirts have not been earned, tradition is one thing, cally&cos pissed all over the bs traditon.....the bs is a tradition of excellence and should only be awarded for excellence.....if that doesn't happen until next year then so be it......