DE Michael Buchanan

Ohio Pete

Player: Michael Buchanan

Hometown: Flossmoor, IL

Position: DE

Height: 6'6"

Weight: 220 lbs.

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Virginia

Favorites: Purdue, Illinois, California, and Vanderbilt

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: :star :star :star :star 5.8 #15 DE

Big Red Report: :star :star :star #47 DE

ESPN Grade: 75 #84 DE

Assessing the talent: ESPN: Buchanan is a prospect who shows some good upside. He is a tall lean wiry kid who needs to get into a college weight program and add some serious bulk. He looks like he needs to grow into his body and work out some of the awkwardness. He has a solid get-off, but will flash good quickness at times. He is at his best when he can slant into a gap and knife his way through. When he can get to a blocker's shoulder he will display the ability to anchor some. At this point he can struggle some at the point of attack. He is not afraid to mix it up, but needs to play lower and use his reach more to create separation. Will let a blocker get into his chest and he can be pushed off the ball. With some added size and strength he should be able to correct that some. He has good speed and will pursue. Takes adequate angles. Needs to get a better feel for his body and refine his running style as he looks to have a lot of wasted motion and could squeeze even more speed out of his ability. He has adequate short-area change-of-direction skills. He is a solid tackler. As a pass rusher he will try and use his hands and work a move like the swim, but needs to work on not attacking a blocker head-up. He will flash the speed to come off the edge, get to the shoulder, and run the loop to the quarterback and that presence off the edge is what you would like to see from him more consistently. Buchanan is a kid with potential just needs to keep developing physically and as a player.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 10% Not in his top 4 but still considering visit to Nebraska.

Also excellent basketball player.

• 3 weeks later...

May get a visit, but trailing the big 10 schools and Vandy. From free Scout article:

"I'm going to Vanderbilt this weekend (Nov. 8)," said defensive end Michael Buchanan. "I've been really impressed by them this year. They surprised me. The SEC is a great conference and they've done really well. They had a great start and haven't been this successful in a long time." Buchanan also has official trips set with Illinois and Purdue and may also visit California and Nebraska.

Buchanan has at least 17 offers and has narrowed it down to Illinois, Purdue, Vanderbilt, No. 21 California and Nebraska. Although he remains "very open," Buchanan admits that the Illini, Boilermakers and Commodores are his three leaders. He has official visits scheduled to each of them already.

Although the Huskers have offered him, Buchanan admits he doesn't know much about them yet. "They just offered me about a month ago," he said. "I haven't seen any of their games this year and don't know much about them besides they have good tradition."

• 2 weeks later...

Buchanan reflects on Illinois official visit

Ron Zook welcomed in three players on official visits this past weekend, linebacker Sam Barrington (Jacksonville, Fla./Terry Porter), offensive lineman Andrew Carter (Tallahassee, Fla./Leon) and defensive end Michael Buchanan (Homewood, Ill./Flossmoor).

All three could end up playing for the Fighting Illini. Carter committed to Zook in July. On Sunday night, Barrington said, "I could honestly see myself going to Illinois."

The 6-foot-6 and 225-pound Buchanan said he liked what he saw at Illinois as well.

"I had a good trip," Buchanan said. "It went real good. I learned a lot about the players and the coaches. I liked my position coach, Coach (Tom) Sims."

Buchanan made an official visit to Vanderbilt the weekend of Nov. 8. He plans to visit Purdue this weekend and is also considering Cal, Nebraska and Michigan State. Buchanan has scholarship offers from all but the Spartans.

Last I saw, there were only 2-3 visitors for the NU-CU game. That is one of the best things we have to recruit, getting a kid like this to see NU on game day could make a difference. I guess the holidays makes it tough.

Who are they?

According to this thread, only Qvale and Omigie. Anyone show anything different?

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30275

Last I saw, there were only 2-3 visitors for the NU-CU game. That is one of the best things we have to recruit, getting a kid like this to see NU on game day could make a difference. I guess the holidays makes it tough.

Who are they?

According to this thread, only Qvale and Omigie. Anyone show anything different?

Giles might make it if his team loses in the playoffs. Oh, and no fair cheering against them.

Who are they?

Giles might make it if his team loses in the playoffs. Oh, and no fair cheering against them.

:lol: