Maybe Bo Has a Plan?

Steven M. Sipple: QB recruit progressing nicely

Friday, Oct 24, 2008 - 12:41:39 am CDT

As weeks pass without Nebraska’s backup quarterbacks seeing any sort of game action, thoughts drift toward the Houston area, where Husker quarterback recruit Cody Green is enjoying a stellar senior season.

Mind you, I’m avoiding bold predictions about Green enjoying future stardom at Nebraska. We’ve been burned enough by recruiting hyperbole in these parts, especially as it pertains to quarterbacks. So, no outlandish proclamations suggesting Green is anything except a nice high school player putting up impressive numbers.

Very impressive numbers.

Nebraska football recruit Cody Green.(photo courtesy HuskersIllustrated.com)

Story Photo

Nebraska football recruit Cody Green.(photo courtesy HuskersIllustrated.com)

In leading Dayton (Texas) High School to a 5-1 record, Green has completed 66 percent of his passes (111-for-169) for 1,413 yards and 15 touchdowns, with two interceptions. He has rushed 61 times for 518 yards (8.5 per carry) and 12 scores.

Green verbally committed to Nebraska in early July and is set to arrive on campus in late December or early January in time for spring practice.

“He’s on board,” said 13-year Dayton High head coach Jerry Stewart. “We just told him to buy some big ol’ coats. He’s going to freeze his butt off up there. But he’s going to be fine. You’re really going to like that kid up there. He’s for real. He’s going to study the game and he’s got a strong arm.”

Green evidently has strong legs, too.

“We’ve got a good offensive line, but he’s 6-4 and 220,” Stewart said. “So, once defenders get to him, they’re not really sure they want to be there.”

Green presumably will compete for Nebraska’s starting job in 2009. Current Husker starter Joe Ganz is a senior, and his top backups — redshirt freshman Patrick Witt and sophomore Zac Lee — have appeared in two games and one game this season, respectively, and none in the last four weeks.

Meanwhile, Green is rolling up big numbers despite being somewhat slowed by an ankle injury that limited him to two games last season.

“He might not be quite 100 percent yet, but when he is, he’ll be really shifty,” Stewart said. “He’ll be 100 percent next year when y’all get him.”

Nebraska stands by its decision to stick with one quarterback for the class of 2009.

“We’ve got our guy, and we’re doing everything we can to hang on to him,” said Husker recruiting coordinator Ted Gilmore.

That shouldn’t be a problem, Stewart said, although other teams continue to recruit Green.

“Any team worth anything is going to try to change his mind, but he’s going to Nebraska — he’s excited to get up there,” Stewart said.

Caught this story this morning...this kid looks good, looks like he can run with power, and has an arm. I have to be wondering if maybe Bo is counting on him coming in and starting as a freshman? I would love to see something like that!! :clap

It's hard to say, even though he's coming in early there is still so much for him to learn. It would probably be best for him to redshirt, learn the system, develop and compete for the starting job as a RSFreshman. Another thought would be maybe BO see's his starting QB performing well with the scout team...**cough** Cody Spano **cough**cough

edit: however, I'm not ruling out Green as a possibility either

I do like the fact the we are signing only 1 guy for 09, it makes sense, I am sure the coaches are confident in all the QB's we have now, or we would be having a fire sale for QB's on the recruiting trail. Let's not overhype Green as we did some other highly touted recruits. Curt Dukes... anyone? Or Callahans love child Harrison Beck :madash

Green has also been playing...all Lee and Witt have been doing is warming the bench. I like the size of Green...adds to the running game. Sounds like he is smart, and I think if he comes in early he can get up to speed with the plays, Keller did it didn't he? And the playbook was more like the NYC telephone directory then. Maybe if Bo is thinking that his QB will be Green next year, he doesn't have to get Lee or Witt into a game, that is why he isn't playing them when conventional wisdom says he should?

This kid looks like a Colt McCoy type to me...

Now that the season is half over and our starting QB and the only one that plays is gone next year I’ve been wondering about our signal caller of the future. Who will it be and why?

I have noticed on here that numerous people think that Cody Spano is going to be the Starting Quarterback next year. I would like to know what this is even based off of. I’ve watched his film and he looked pretty good but there was nothing on there that made me say wow. Do some on here just say that just in case it happens so they will be viewed like they knew what they were talking about? If you think about it how much actual practice work this year can this kid be getting? Is he running the Scout team? Maybe I’m crazy but I just don’t see a Frosh True or Redshirt starting game #1 next year. He had an alright Spring Game where he was 4-6 for 47 yards and 1 carry for -3 yards. Also his 40 time is slower then Zac Taylors according to Rivals which doesn’t bode well for the kid.

For what it is worth I also don’t know if Patrick Witt is the man for the job either. From the looks of things we won’t be able to afford a QB that is a statue (same 40 as Taylor) in the pocket anymore, unless there is a drastic improvement next year, because our lines won’t allow it. What we have seen from Witt is he threw an INT in the spring game and fumbled twice during game action this year so unless he learns to take care of the ball that won’t fly. His Spring Game was less then stellar 6-12 for 61 yards and an INT with 2 carries for -21 yards. I think he knows the offense inside and out like Ganz does but you have to wonder about his physical tools.

If you ask me I think people are short changing Zac Lee though. Granted all we have to base any of his stuff off of is the Spring Game which he had a decent game but it is still a pretty big unknown. He was 6-11 87 yards and a TD he had 6 carries for 15 yards as well. He appears mobile with a strong arm but he still can’t shake Witt on the 2 Deep.

Cody Green coming in early helps his cause however like I mentioned above I don’t see a True Freshmen coming in right away and starting. Granted if he is the real deal he will see action and may end up as the man, like Pryor, Frazier, Tebow, Young to name a few. His film is pretty impressive to say the least and he looks like a physical specimen. So we’ll see.

I guess what I’m saying is I hate the fact that next years QB is such an unknown and I really wish that Witt or Lee would see some action this year because if not we are starting from square one again next year which sucks. So many other schools work in their QB’s of the future and we don’t even get our 2nd teamer in when we are involved in the worst beating in the History of Memorial Stadium but then again maybe our QB of the future isn’t here yet. Who knows?

WOW! I really hope that this kid pans out for us but i still think that Lee or Witt will start the season next year.

Who knows, he may get here and be another bust. But from what I have seen on him he looks pretty good - but he is young. I have my fingers crossed.

Green has also been playing...all Lee and Witt have been doing is warming the bench. I like the size of Green...adds to the running game. Sounds like he is smart, and I think if he comes in early he can get up to speed with the plays, Keller did it didn't he? And the playbook was more like the NYC telephone directory then. Maybe if Bo is thinking that his QB will be Green next year, he doesn't have to get Lee or Witt into a game, that is why he isn't playing them when conventional wisdom says he should?

This kid looks like a Colt McCoy type to me...

Have to remember that Keller already had college experience and sat out a year with the scout team at Nebraska before he even played a snap with Nebraska.. I could see him playing next but not starting from Day 1. I see us using him like Ohio State used Pryor at the beginning of the year..

If Bo/Watson plan on sticking with the "spread" look, or running more out of the shotgun, I think it'll be Green or Spano (didn't Spano run out of the shotgun in High School?) or even Lee since he has the mobilty. Witt just came at the wrong time, cuz I have a feeling this WCO experiment has come to an end.

Agreed. Anyone else notice the suspicious number of shotgun snaps the last few weeks? I think Watson realized what the rest of us figured out last year. This WCO thing is useless. We've got athletes that can work in space. Let's get them in space.

If Bo/Watson plan on sticking with the "spread" look, or running more out of the shotgun, I think it'll be Green or Spano (didn't Spano run out of the shotgun in High School?) or even Lee since he has the mobilty. Witt just came at the wrong time, cuz I have a feeling this WCO experiment has come to an end.

yeah, i think i heard on the radio(pre-game or husker radio show) that Spano didn't take a snap from under center until he got to NU