Maybe Bo Has a Plan?

I think people are too optimistic about Lee and Spano, hoping they'll be the guy because they're mobile. Supposedly Witt's command of the offense is well beyond theirs. He's going to have to get his jitters out - a little more game experience should help him along there. But until someone knows the offense as good or better as he does (if that ever even happens), he'll be the #1 next year, I believe.

The infamous "who's the best backup"/"who's next year's starter" discussion. This truly is pure speculation since we haven't seen much of any of them. But, I'll join the fun. Personally, I'd have to go with Witt since he's currently the #2 behind Ganz, and the coaches have seen a lot more of the QB's than we have. As for Cody Green, even he expects to redshirt next year, which he said at the time he committed. Absolutely anything could happen though. Maybe a walk-on like Ebke emerges much to everyone's surprise. I expect this discussion will be the hot topic throughout the off-season.

I remember when Bobby Newcombe came in as a beast and saw time his freshman year.

Wow. I wasn't aware Cody Green changed his name to Bobby Newcombe. Awesome!

I am aware that it's rare that QBs coming fresh out of high school have a great first season at the college level. However, to keep discounting the fact that he may have what it takes is just as ignorant as people saying he's going to come in here and tear it up in his freshman year.

How do you know? What have you seen from him? Some crappy recruiting tape? The truth of the matter is that he is still in high school and hasn't played a snap of college football. Let him come in here, do his thing, battle it out with the other QBs, and whoever the best QB is will be our starter.

Sounds good to me...

Yeah although Green looks nice, I've got my money on Lee being the starter next year. I think NU is done with boat anchor quarterbacks. Next fall Lee will be the only mobile quarterback who knows the system. He also has the strongest arm of the 4 QBs currently on the roster.

I think Lee starts for the next 2 years and then we change gears to Green. It's going to be fun. Ganz isn't even all that great of a runner but he looks like Tim Tebow compared to Zac Taylor and Sam Keller. When we get someone who can actually run under center, watch out.

Write it down Green is a beast!!! He will see time next year!!!

I remember when Bobby Newcombe came in as a beast and saw time his freshman year.

Newcombe did see time his freshmen year as a WR and Returner. There was one guy by the name of Scott Frost that played QB that year. Are there any Frosts on the roster that will be here next year? He played in every single game that year averaged 9 yards a carry, 24 yards a catch and 20 yards a Punt Return with a TD in each category. He was 1 for 1 passing as well. Also Newcombe had a successful Husker career if you ask me, he just happened to come in at the same time as one of the best (if not the best) to ever play here and throw on top of that the whole injury bug he had in 98 (played in 6 of 13) and I think he did all right. He gets unjustifiably criticized by a lot of Husker fans if you ask me. Just think what that dude could do as a receiver, runner, and returner in the offense we run now. He would have gotten a lot more touches and put up a lot more yards then he did in the old style offense.

Maybe you should have said Curt Dukes or Harrison Beck those would have been better examples since they both walked into similar situations compared to Green. New starter who had little to no game experience and faded away into Husker Mythology like a lot of guys have.

I do like the fact the we are signing only 1 guy for 09, it makes sense, I am sure the coaches are confident in all the QB's we have now, or we would be having a fire sale for QB's on the recruiting trail. Let's not overhype Green as we did some other highly touted recruits. Curt Dukes... anyone? Or Callahans love child Harrison Beck :madash

I did say it! Mods.... <_< Always trying to bring me down :angry:

Let's not overhype Green as we did some other highly touted recruits. Curt Dukes... anyone? Or Callahans love child Harrison Beck :madash

I know YOU said it, I was talkling to the dude that mentioned Bobby Newcombe. :thumbs Although you were mentioning the overhyping I was mentioning the situations they walked into and the one Green is coming into with no proven QB.

"I drink to that." :wasted

Let's not overhype Green as we did some other highly touted recruits. Curt Dukes... anyone? Or Callahans love child Harrison Beck :madash

I know YOU said it, I was talkling to the dude that mentioned Bobby Newcombe. :thumbs Although you were mentioning the overhyping I was mentioning the situations they walked into and the one Green is coming into with no proven QB.

"I drink to that." :wasted

ok just making sure :cheers BTH i tink i have a frush :corndance

Wow. I wasn't aware Cody Green changed his name to Bobby Newcombe. Awesome!

I am aware that it's rare that QBs coming fresh out of high school have a great first season at the college level. However, to keep discounting the fact that he may have what it takes is just as ignorant as people saying he's going to come in here and tear it up in his freshman year.

How do you know? What have you seen from him? Some crappy recruiting tape? The truth of the matter is that he is still in high school and hasn't played a snap of college football. Let him come in here, do his thing, battle it out with the other QBs, and whoever the best QB is will be our starter.

Sounds good to me...

Wow, I was unaware that I ever once mentioned Cody Green changed his name. The truth of the matter is that he is still in high school and hasn't played a snap of college football. I agree totally with that statement. Statistically speaking, very few true freshmen ever come in and win the starting QB job first game out of the gate. Even Frazier didn't. It's difficult to put into perspective best. Maybe Green will give us our best chance to beat a top ranked team next year while also being the one to best get us beat by a lesser team because of mistakes from being inexperienced. Even Frazier lost to lowly Iowa State his freshman year. Basically, I'm just saying that we're going to take some serious lumps if we start a true freshman next year. However, we're going to also take some lumps next year if Witt or Lee is our starter because neither have any game time experience. Inexperience at QB is gonna kill us next year no matter who is playing.

Write it down Green is a beast!!! He will see time next year!!!

Newcombe did see time his freshmen year as a WR and Returner. There was one guy by the name of Scott Frost that played QB that year. Are there any Frosts on the roster that will be here next year? He played in every single game that year averaged 9 yards a carry, 24 yards a catch and 20 yards a Punt Return with a TD in each category. He was 1 for 1 passing as well. Also Newcombe had a successful Husker career if you ask me, he just happened to come in at the same time as one of the best (if not the best) to ever play here and throw on top of that the whole injury bug he had in 98 (played in 6 of 13) and I think he did all right. He gets unjustifiably criticized by a lot of Husker fans if you ask me. Just think what that dude could do as a receiver, runner, and returner in the offense we run now. He would have gotten a lot more touches and put up a lot more yards then he did in the old style offense.

Maybe you should have said Curt Dukes or Harrison Beck those would have been better examples since they both walked into similar situations compared to Green. New starter who had little to no game experience and faded away into Husker Mythology like a lot of guys have.

Wow, I never realized I ever called Bobby Newcombe a bad player or even insinuated that he was a bad player. I also realize that he played WR. Apparently, he was a great athlete or TO would have redshirted him. My point was that while being a good/great athlete, maybe QB won't suit him as well as we'd like. If we're hanging our hats on a senior in high school to lead our team to the promised land next year when he may very well come in here and be suited better for a different position all together, then we're in big trouble.

I lived in Schramm with Witt my sophomore year, and he is not the nicest person around...the only time he can run fast is away from the cops. And the turnovers are worrisome...

However Lee is an awesome guy, had a class with him last semester and he actually cares about school. I hope he can come in and do well.