Is Nebraska done at RB for this year?

Thing is, Texas has to be careful at RB. They promised Chris Whaley they would recruit no other RBs but him. They take on another RB and Whaley will likely bolt.

Well if that happens, I would think NU would be high on his list then so maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing. Who is better, Rex or Chris?

Thing is, Texas has to be careful at RB. They promised Chris Whaley they would recruit no other RBs but him. They take on another RB and Whaley will likely bolt.

Well if that happens, I would think NU would be high on his list then so maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing. Who is better, Rex or Chris?

The rankings don't reflect it, but I'd take Rex everyday of the week. Between his athleticism, diversity in skills and leadership, I don't think Whaley can match him.

Rex is one of those guys who in 2-3 years will make this his team. You need 3 yards? He will churn you out 4. Need a hard hit to set the tempo? Rex will do it. Need a solid influence in practice and off the field? Rex is it.

Kid is just filled with talent and is a coaches wet dream. Honestly, if you had to dream up a perfect player to play under Bo, I really believe Rex would be as close as you could possibly get to a perfect player for our coach.

The rankings don't reflect it, but I'd take Rex everyday of the week. Between his athleticism, diversity in skills and leadership, I don't think Whaley can match him.

Rex is one of those guys who in 2-3 years will make this his team. You need 3 yards? He will churn you out 4. Need a hard hit to set the tempo? Rex will do it. Need a solid influence in practice and off the field? Rex is it.

Kid is just filled with talent and is a coaches wet dream. Honestly, if you had to dream up a perfect player to play under Bo, I really believe Rex would be as close as you could possibly get to a perfect player for our coach.

Well let's hope UT keeps slow playing him, I would have to think he is getting tired of the waiting game.

An older article about Burkhead helps to explain exactly why everyone is excited about this guy:

Burkhead no plain Plano athlete

The footage is grainy and his intentions are unclear, but it's possible video of Rex Burkhead celebrating actually exists. Well, almost celebrating is probably more accurate.

It's the third quarter of last season's Class 5A, Division I state quarterfinals and Burkhead has just extended Plano's lead over Skyline to 14 points on an exhilarating punt return that looks like it's straight off a Devin Hester highlight film. An ankle-breaking juke and a couple hesitation moves free Burkhead to go 65 yards untouched to paydirt, and as he sprints over the goal line in his maroon and white No. 20 jersey, he extends his right arm out as if it were a wing helping him glide through the end zone.

But before he raises it too high, and before the matching wing is lifted on the left, Burkhead catches himself and jerks his arm back to his side, calmly cradling the pigskin while scanning the field for a referee to take the ball off his hands.

The evidence is presented from multiple angles on the YouTube clip entitled "Plano Football" before it cuts off. And though it was far from a T.O.-approved outburst, it was an absolute eruption by Burkhead's standards.

"I play the game hard and aggressive, but I don't show people up," Burkhead says. "I liked to watch Barry Sanders when I was younger, and he never celebrated. That's the way I was raised. After I score a touchdown, I don't celebrate."

A humble attitude is one of the many traits Burkhead shares with the Detroit Lions' Hall of Fame running back who also wore No. 20. From his Madden-like spins and cuts to his jaw-dropping escapability, Burkhead has established himself as the area's marquee player from the Class of 2009.

The Plano senior running back/defensive back has rushed for nearly 3,000 yards over the past two seasons, including a 1,768-yard, 29-touchdown performance last year to lead the Wildcats to the state semifinals. The 5-foot-11, 195-pounder has scholarship offers from nearly three dozen college football programs, including LSU, Michigan, Texas A&M, Louisville and Kentucky.

That just about makes him the most recognizable prepster in the Metroplex, but those who know Burkhead are more apt to praise him as a person than as an athlete.

"He's the entire package put together," says former Plano head football coach Gerald Brence, who is in his first year as the athletic director for the Plano ISD. "He's mature, he's intelligent, he's humble and he's talented, and he's blended it all together so well."

Adds first-year basketball coach Phil Parlin: "He's a genuine young man willing to reach out to all groups of people. He's got a natural charisma."

From sincerely befriending special needs students to captivating young audiences by speaking at camps, Burkhead's presence is undeniable. That character, combined with his explosive athletic ability, helped him earn spots on both the varsity football and basketball teams before his first day of high school classes.

Current Plano head football coach Jaydon McCullough was an assistant in the fall of 2004 when he noticed an eighth-grade Burkhead playing catch on the field before a game. Even in that casual setting, Burkhead's strength, hands and leaping ability amazed McCullough.

The following fall, on the heels of a 4-6 season, the Plano coaching staff saw an opportunity to shake things up. Considering Burkhead already knew many members of the varsity program because his brother, Ryan, was a senior in the fall of '05, there were no concerns about friction arising from putting a freshman on varsity.

Brence simply called Burkhead into his office one summer day prior to his freshman year to confirm he had the necessary maturity level. Almost instantly convinced, Brence ended the brief conversation by asking Burkhead if he wanted to play varsity that fall. Burkhead accepted, and in the Wildcats' season-opener -- the first time a freshman had seen regular playing time for Plano in 40 years -- he scored a touchdown as a fullback.

Even before that first touchdown or his initial conversation with Brence, Burkhead had already earned his spot on the Plano hoops team. As a 5-foot-7 rising freshman, Burkhead dunked during a summer pickup game in front of then-head basketball coach Tom Inman, who was in the stands unbeknownst to Burkhead.

He joined the basketball team following the conclusion of the football squad's 13-1 campaign, and he played a huge role in helping the Wildcats claim a state title that winter. Burkhead didn't play a ton of minutes for Plano, but he provided a spark off the bench and hounded star point guard John Roberson (now a sophomore at Texas Tech) during practice, making game situations seem like child's play for the starter.

"I knew my role was to make John better," says Burkhead, who went on to start for the hoops team as a sophomore and junior, earning All-District recognition last year. "I was just happy to be a part of it."

But Burkhead's biggest accomplishments at Plano have been on the gridiron. He has filled any role necessary over the past three years, including a sophomore season spent playing quarterback after the starter got hurt in September. He is one of the state's top punters, and he's not bad at returning kicks either, as the YouTube clip attests.

Nicknamed Superman by his teammates, Burkhead best demonstrated his superhuman abilities in last year's playoff game against Skyline, a team that entered the contest allowing just seven points per game. In one afternoon, Burkhead rushed and passed for touchdowns in addition to his punt return score.

As far as McCullough is concerned, the game against Skyline is the best he's seen out of Burkhead. But it won't go down as the coach's defining memory of his star.

"When I think about Rex, I have this image in my head of him shedding tacklers and dragging guys into the end zone with him," McCullough says. "He's real beat up, his uniform is ripped, his chin strap is coming off, but he keeps driving his feet and finally gets the ball across the goal line. And then he immediately hands it to the official.

"He's been there before and he'll be there again," McCullough continues. "He's just pure class all the way."

As for clips just Google his name

Why are we not content with the starting RB from the #1 preseason H.S. team in the country??

Well Nebraska had apparently pursued other RBs so they were not content before. But this class was likely always going to be made up of 1-2 RBs so you might be right about Nebraska being content at this point since extra space could be used for a 4 :star TE or DL or even tucked away for next year.

My question above was meant to find out: without any luck with big name prospects, would Nebraska offer any additional players at RB?

I forgot about Burkhead because he is listed at ATH and some had talked about him coming in and playing WR which is a greater need right now. However he would fill the role of a pass-catching RB (or pretty much any other spot) quite nicely.

The residient insider on the scrolls says we should be getting Burkhead.

If we miss for some reason I'm not sure what we'll do. Make a big push on Tucker? Back to recruiting Alford? Offer Wegher as a rb and hope he reconsiders? Go after somebody new? Try for a decommit in our favor? Take an extra guy at a different position? Probably a couple of these.

Wegher needs to reconsider and come to NU...unfortunately, Iowa is probably going bowling and can use the "re-building" theory with him too. This kid is for real. I would love NU to have him.

Thing is we offered him as a safety, which may well have cost us in terms of getting him. Don't know if he'd reconsider if we offered him at rb. Think we'd have to finish really strong and create some excitement to have a real shot.

Still, it is a little disheartening to lose out on Oku and Hilliard, who were so close.

With Fulmer on the hotseat, and two premiere backs committed in their class to Tennessee I could see us picking up one as they start to crash and burn. I wouldn't be too worried though, our offense is not based on a stud back anyways and yet we still put up points on just about everybody. OL and Defense are our main concerns in my opinion and we are addressing those nicely.

I'd just like to take a moment to quote myself.