Double Standards?

HANC

Let me start by saying that I support Bo and think he will bring Nu back into the top 25 and higher........but just for debate purposes and to get the board going.........

Do you think that Bo is getting a little "benefit of the doubt" just because he has coached here in the past. I have a hard time believing that everyone who is "defending" some of the issues this season wouldn't be blasting BC under the same circumstances...

examples:

MU and OU blowouts: BC would have been thrown under the bus...guaranteed...Bo is still building is what

the consensus seems to be. (yes, our guys haven't given up, I will say that), but

obviously, the game-plans have been simarly anemic

Bo's actions on sidelines: BC got thrown under bus for throat-slach and hillbilly remark, but Bo actually

gets a 15 yd vs VT that cost us big (something BC didnt do). Bo is always

yelling and screaming at officials, which to the dismay of some, doesn't always

sit well with "mamas" of recruits. Viewed as hot-head and poor sportsmanship.

But, many of us (including me) just write it off as "passion".

Traditions: If BC would have taken away the blackshirts for the entire year, the State would explode.

If you think anything different, then you are dead wrong.....we would say, another tradition

that BC is taking away or ruining....but with Bo, we applaud him for being strict and appreciating

the tradition.

Not letting players talk to media: BC was and would have been blasted. Bo is just protecting and moving

forward.

Once again, I wouldn't trade Bo for many coaches, especially BC. I am 100 % in support of the change, but as a coach myself, it seems a little funny to sit and read all of the remarks concerning the above issues, especially after reading just the opposite last year at this time.

I was very lenient with Callahan for the first few years and said pretty much the same things I say about Pelini now. He's new to being the head coach of a college football team, it takes time to get the players he wants installed in the system he wants, etc.

Most coaches are not an instant success when they step into a new team. Callahan took over in a controversial move and then tried to install a completely different system. That's not an easy thing to do, and whether or not things had ended up going well for him, it was a difficult situation and would have taken time. Pelini is taking over during an equally challenging situation of a different nature. It's going to take time for him, too.

I think the team is showing improvement under Pelini and that's all I really wanted to see. I said the same things about Callahan, too.

I think the real problem is a lot of people look back, realize they supported Callahan for a long while, and feel like they have to try and hide it or compensate somehow. And that's just plain retarded.

what you are apparently missing is that one year ago BC was already a three year head coach but the team still sucked big time. BC didn't get treated like that from the beginning. If in two years from now the Huskers get smashed by a team like they did against MU or OU, the fire will turn on BO too. But you gotta give someone a chance first.

The actions that he has on sidelines kinda worry me from time to time. But Bo cant certainly be the first football headcoach to allways give the zebras an earfull. Yes last year if BillyC would have not let the players talk after a loss, for sure I would have said theres goes another tradition down the tubes.

Let me start by saying that I support Bo and think he will bring Nu back into the top 25 and higher........but just for debate purposes and to get the board going.........

Do you think that Bo is getting a little "benefit of the doubt" just because he has coached here in the past. I have a hard time believing that everyone who is "defending" some of the issues this season wouldn't be blasting BC under the same circumstances...

examples:

MU and OU blowouts: BC would have been thrown under the bus...guaranteed...Bo is still building is what

the consensus seems to be. (yes, our guys haven't given up, I will say that), but

obviously, the game-plans have been simarly anemic

Bo's actions on sidelines: BC got thrown under bus for throat-slach and hillbilly remark, but Bo actually

gets a 15 yd vs VT that cost us big (something BC didnt do). Bo is always

yelling and screaming at officials, which to the dismay of some, doesn't always

sit well with "mamas" of recruits. Viewed as hot-head and poor sportsmanship.

But, many of us (including me) just write it off as "passion".

Traditions: If BC would have taken away the blackshirts for the entire year, the State would explode.

If you think anything different, then you are dead wrong.....we would say, another tradition

that BC is taking away or ruining....but with Bo, we applaud him for being strict and appreciating

the tradition.

Not letting players talk to media: BC was and would have been blasted. Bo is just protecting and moving

forward.

Once again, I wouldn't trade Bo for many coaches, especially BC. I am 100 % in support of the change, but as a coach myself, it seems a little funny to sit and read all of the remarks concerning the above issues, especially after reading just the opposite last year at this time.

we are clearly playing better than they did in BC first year even though cally inherited a better team. and most of the people that jumped on cally in year one were upset about solich.... but as far as I remember most were giving him time. so no there is no double standard unless you make one

What is it they say..?

"The Backup QB is the most popular person on a struggling team"?

After BC, I would have welcomed Barry Switzer.

There seems to be an overwhelming concern for double standards on the board, lately..There's more involved than just the job's these guys do..It's also about the timing.

BC showed us just how bad we could get..We've now lowered our expectations down to a reasonable level again..Probably for the first time since Devaney was at Wyoming.

I had a little trouble believing in (accepting?) Bo when Solich first brought him in..not knowing how T.O.'s Coaches were getting a little lacking in the recruiting trail and maybe not putting in as much effort under Frankie.

The key to his "instant" overall acceptance by many of us is how well his defense did that year he was here..And how poorly the year before and after.

Mom's care about what kind of character he has..Will he make sure her Son graduates? Will he give her Son a fair chance at playing time? Will he protect her son from getting raked over the coals by the Media?

Not if he talks into a headset using the same words the kids next door do.

Yeah, well I agree Bo is being given slack now cuz it's his 1st yr and all.

But I mainly think most fans like him better cuz he's more of a tough, blue collar type guy whereas Calli came off more as a erudite yuppie.

I compare it to the way people like or dislike a presidential candidate, which frequently has no logical basis. Peeps wanna have a beer w BO; they didn't wanna have a beer w Calli(unless he'd won the NC or something, then only ONE beer).

Another thing is, after last yr, BR FAN is now more accustomed to being blownout and humiliated on primetime tv and, again, since it's BO's 1st yr, FAN just shrugs it off, drinks more :koolaid2:, and repeats, 'we'll be back, we'll be back, next yr', etc., when it's more likely this team will be struggling w young players for some years to come.

I don't think you can compare Bo's 1st year at HC and BC's 4 years as HC and suggest there is a double standard. Personally, with BC, I had a lot of patience knowing he was re-vamping the entire offensive mindset at NU his first year as HC. With Bo, that patience returned knowing he's having to re-vamp the entire mindset/mentality of the entire team.

Yes. Absolutely. It got worse later in Callahans tenure, but really, any rabid anti-Callahan person comes here saying they "gave Callahan a chance early" is full of it. They'd be on this and other boards week in and week out with the same tired BS. But now since it's OMG BO!!!1 it's OK.

It wasn't OK then, it's not OK now.

Callahan didn't get the Blasting he deserved in his first season or any of his season for that matter. And he ended how many streaks?

Oh BS:

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.ph...ost&p=13470

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.ph...ost&p=23873

Just a few examples. Some people were against Callahan before he even coached a game. Meanwhile, people were lining up to pray at Pelini's altar as soon as he landed in Lincoln.

I think the throat slash and the f'n hillbillies comment are in and of themselves totally different than getting in the refs ear or a players ear on the sidelines. I've seen many coaches get angry and red faced on the sidelines, blowing up for whatever reason. I still have yet to see another throat slash.

The thing is, everyone pretty much knew what Bo was like on the sidelines when he was hired. Everyone was saying, "I hope BO can control himself". Well it looks like he is still the same Bo. No real surprise there.

IMO, There is no double standard because they are just two totally different people, and two totally different coaches. They each had their faults, and they both excelled in different phases of the job. When BC was hired, I had a small underlying feeling like he was just starting a new job with a new paycheck. With Bo, it seems like he actually cares. :dunno

A lot of us just wanted a change, after the beatings of 4 up and down seasons. The loss of almost all of our traditions and records. Bo showed what he could do if he had the right players where ever hes been. Now we have to see if he can get these type of players, being a head coach. I for one gave Cal the benefit of the doubt. What else can one do. Didn't like the hire that much, but was willing to wait and see.

Bo has a few years to get this program up and winning again, as long as the fans see that improvement season to season. I can't help but think what the score might have looked like Saturday if Cal & Coz were still running the show.

GBR!!!