Double Standards?

HANC

regarding the Blackshirts...

I'd much rather a coach that knows and understands that tradition extremely well refuse to hand out blackshirts to a defense who doesn't deserve them....rather than have a coach who just hands them out at the drop of a hat. Having the student athletes who receive them not understand the real tradition behind them. Bo knows very well what the blackshirts mean to the team, program and to the fans. And truth is, us as fans shouldn't get all worked up about it...it's an individually earned honor that has nothing to do with how we should view the team.

Besides, if you think back to the real reason behind the original blackshirts to begin with...you're getting worked up over an alternate practice jersey color? ;)

Coach Pelini is in the process of rebuilding the team from the implosion that happened last year. Step one is getting the players not to give up on themselves. I believe he is doing that. He is establishing his philosophy on the team and they are accepting it. His blue collar approach seems to rub some people the wrong way but I think it will garner the results everyone wants.

I'm sorry but this thread is a joke. pelini is doing better then cally, and he inherited a considerably worse team as well. and he is getting flack...... all of the time. yes there were people jumping on cally early, but most backed him. heck I backed him fully up until midway through last year when it was obvious he lost the team.

is it EXACTLY the same? no. but the situations arent exactly the same and the results arent the same either either. if bo goes 5-7 like cally did this year lets see if people arent jumping all over him. and keep in mind BC's first year they played 1 ranked team... and still went 5-7

I think we're dealing with totally different circumstances. The anti-Callahan sentiment was rooted in the fact we fired a coach whose team went 10-3, winning a bowl game (that he didn't coach, yes, but they won). Callahan was a bad decision from the beginning, so he wasn't going to get the benefit of the doubt.

Pelini comes in after the worst chapter in Nebraska history and has to start from scratch, going so far as to teach tackling. Of course he's going to get the benefit of the doubt. But comparing the attitude towards Callahan in his fourth year to Pelini in his first is apples and skyscrapers.

One quick thing on the blackshirts: they were taken away last season, and I applauded Callahan for it even if I thought it was too little too late. I'm glad Bo is keeping them in the drawer as well. I'm not one of those people who thought everything Callahan did was destined for failure, and he had my full support until the Missouri game of the 2007 season.

I don't really like Pelini's management of the timeout situation or the officials, but there's not much anyone can do about it. As for the blowouts, they aren't acceptable, but with Callahan there was no sense it was ever going to get any better. There was no excuse for them in the first place. He had the staff he wanted, the players he wanted, the system he wanted, and he still lost by fifty. With Bo, he's had about nine months, and while I'm really surprised at just how little talent we have on defense, I have hope that next season we'll see progress. That, in a nutshell, is why it's different than Callahan.

I'm sorry but this thread is a joke. pelini is doing better then cally, and he inherited a considerably worse team as well. and he is getting flack...... all of the time. yes there were people jumping on cally early, but most backed him. heck I backed him fully up until midway through last year when it was obvious he lost the team.

is it EXACTLY the same? no. but the situations arent exactly the same and the results arent the same either either. if bo goes 5-7 like cally did this year lets see if people arent jumping all over him. and keep in mind BC's first year they played 1 ranked team... and still went 5-7

:yeah I am not even sure what the point of this thread is? Callahan had 4 years to produce and failed, not sure comparing the feedback each coach got in the first year makes sense. The only comparison that matters is 3 years from now. Bo will/should get a similar shot.

Good comments.......... Yes, this thread is relevant.....some of you must have forgotten BC's 1st year. Go back and check your notes on how we didn't qualify for a bowl, traditions being lost, blah, blah, blah......

I am comparing year 1 to year 1........

Once again, I love Bo's passion and think he is twice the coach BC is and glad he is here. I just see a "double standard" among some of the people who post, which is completely okay..... just stated my opinion.

I think we're dealing with totally different circumstances. The anti-Callahan sentiment was rooted in the fact we fired a coach whose team went 10-3, winning a bowl game (that he didn't coach, yes, but they won). Callahan was a bad decision from the beginning, so he wasn't going to get the benefit of the doubt.

Pelini comes in after the worst chapter in Nebraska history and has to start from scratch, going so far as to teach tackling. Of course he's going to get the benefit of the doubt. But comparing the attitude towards Callahan in his fourth year to Pelini in his first is apples and skyscrapers.

One quick thing on the blackshirts: they were taken away last season, and I applauded Callahan for it even if I thought it was too little too late. I'm glad Bo is keeping them in the drawer as well. I'm not one of those people who thought everything Callahan did was destined for failure, and he had my full support until the Missouri game of the 2007 season.

I don't really like Pelini's management of the timeout situation or the officials, but there's not much anyone can do about it. As for the blowouts, they aren't acceptable, but with Callahan there was no sense it was ever going to get any better. There was no excuse for them in the first place. He had the staff he wanted, the players he wanted, the system he wanted, and he still lost by fifty. With Bo, he's had about nine months, and while I'm really surprised at just how little talent we have on defense, I have hope that next season we'll see progress. That, in a nutshell, is why it's different than Callahan.

Great explanation! I agree with you!

As Bo "matures" as a HC, I think there will be a middle ground and he will know just how far to push the officials...right now I think he goes a little far sometimes, and I have to wonder if his head is 100% into what is currently going on on the field, and rather on 2 or even 3 plays back when a call didn't go our way. I have had that feeling more than once.

Good comments.......... Yes, this thread is relevant.....some of you must have forgotten BC's 1st year. Go back and check your notes on how we didn't qualify for a bowl, traditions being lost, blah, blah, blah......

Once again, I love Bo's passion and think he is twice the coach BC is and glad he is here. I just see a "double standard" among some of the people who post, which is completely okay..... just stated my opinion.

but we are more than likely going to a bowl... so you cant compare the 2. you honestly think that if we go 5-7 people wont be throwing a fit? look at the negative adds that come out every week.

in review... the 2 situations are in now way the same. the results are not the same, and Bo is getting heat both on the board and in the press.

The difference between BC's year one and Bo's year one is night and day IMO. Callahan came in and completely changed everything about NU football: how we practiced, how we played, how the team prepped for a game, etc etc. Everything was changed....e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g! Callahan NEVER made any attempt at coaching to his players abilities. He took everything sacred about NU football and threw it to the side. However, people understood what he was trying to do and most fans accepted it (myself included). The only problem I had with Callahan's first year of coaching was he didn't faze in his WCO. Instead he rammed it down everyone's throat and expected everyone to learn it yesterday.

Bo on the other hand is trying to fix Callahan's f'ups.

So the question I have is, who's job was/is tougher? Callahan trying to install the WCO or Bo trying to fix Callahan's f'ups?

The difference between BC's year one and Bo's year one is night and day IMO. Callahan came in and completely changed everything about NU football: how we practiced, how we played, how the team prepped for a game, etc etc. Everything was changed....e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g! Callahan NEVER made any attempt at coaching to his players abilities. He took everything sacred about NU football and threw it to the side. However, people understood what he was trying to do and most fans accepted it (myself included). The only problem I had with Callahan's first year of coaching was he didn't faze in his WCO. Instead he rammed it down everyone's throat and expected everyone to learn it yesterday.

Bo on the other hand is trying to fix Callahan's f'ups.

So the question I have is, who's job was/is tougher? Callahan trying to install the WCO or Bo trying to fix Callahan's f'ups?

BC clearly failed...so he never got close to doing what he was hired for...and it rightfully cost Ped his job, too.

what you are apparently missing is that one year ago BC was already a three year head coach but the team still sucked big time. BC didn't get treated like that from the beginning. If in two years from now the Huskers get smashed by a team like they did against MU or OU, the fire will turn on BO too. But you gotta give someone a chance first.

BC was given 4 years to improve from his first year where he went 5-7. Nebraska went 10-3 the year before. Husker fans didn't call for his or any one elses head. Why? Because Solich went 7-7 the year before.

Bo rignt now is 5-4 with 3 winnable games left plus a probable bowl game. We have a good chance at going 9-4.

This Oklahoma loss is what it is. An outmatched Nebraska gave the Sooners the ball 4 times on turnovers. The ball on I believe the 45 yard line, 20 yard line, 5 yard line and a pick 6. Resulting in 28 points. We lost by 34.

Bill Calahan was given more rope than Solich ever had. BC was allowed to lie straight to our faces after every loss with his coach speak. The entire State heard what he said and we all thought he was watching a different game than the rest of us. But there was little call for his job untill year 4 and at that point the wheels had fallen off of the wagon and it was a no brainer that BC had to go.

Bo has the benifit of a longer rope than Solich and probably a shorter rope than Bill Calahan. I don't believe Bo would want it any other way. Bo likes the challenge and I don't forsee any 5-7 seasons in our near or distant future. I for one will be a patient but demanding husker fan.

Go Big Red!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!