Double Standards?

HANC

Let me start by saying that I support Bo and think he will bring Nu back into the top 25 and higher........but just for debate purposes and to get the board going.........

Do you think that Bo is getting a little "benefit of the doubt" just because he has coached here in the past. I have a hard time believing that everyone who is "defending" some of the issues this season wouldn't be blasting BC under the same circumstances...

Double Standards? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The difference here is this year one for Bo. Callahan got ran out after year four. He wasn't getting better, he was infact slipping.

Lets see where we are in year four with Bo.

Great post, HANC.

You guys jumping up to defend Bo against his post are missing the point. Nobody is suggesting that Bo should get more criticism - simply that a lot of the knocks on Callahan were unfair.

Sure, Callahan wasn't a good fit. But drop some of the criticism already when we see the same things in Bo as good qualities. Passion/throat-slash is a good example of that.

Also, it seems that nobody remembers Callahan taking responsibility for losses like OU.

This topic is going the way of "when is Bo going to hand out the blackshirts".

First of all, I abhor BC, ever since he destroyed my Raiders (although Mr. Davis had a hand in that), they've not been the same. I knew what kind of coach we were getting from the git go. A predictable, ego maniac, who thought he could set the world on fire.

All he did was manage to run a great program right into the shitter.

Now, I'm not trying to be a "Bo apologist", but there are some glaring differences between both coaches.

I was less than enthused by the 15 yd unsportsmanlike we got against VT, but I thought the original call was a crap call.

Either way, Bo's our coach now, and I feel better with him at the helm than I ever would have with BC.

I think we're dealing with totally different circumstances. The anti-Callahan sentiment was rooted in the fact we fired a coach whose team went 10-3, winning a bowl game (that he didn't coach, yes, but they won). Callahan was a bad decision from the beginning, so he wasn't going to get the benefit of the doubt.

Pelini comes in after the worst chapter in Nebraska history and has to start from scratch, going so far as to teach tackling. Of course he's going to get the benefit of the doubt. But comparing the attitude towards Callahan in his fourth year to Pelini in his first is apples and skyscrapers.

One quick thing on the blackshirts: they were taken away last season, and I applauded Callahan for it even if I thought it was too little too late. I'm glad Bo is keeping them in the drawer as well. I'm not one of those people who thought everything Callahan did was destined for failure, and he had my full support until the Missouri game of the 2007 season.

I don't really like Pelini's management of the timeout situation or the officials, but there's not much anyone can do about it. As for the blowouts, they aren't acceptable, but with Callahan there was no sense it was ever going to get any better. There was no excuse for them in the first place. He had the staff he wanted, the players he wanted, the system he wanted, and he still lost by fifty. With Bo, he's had about nine months, and while I'm really surprised at just how little talent we have on defense, I have hope that next season we'll see progress. That, in a nutshell, is why it's different than Callahan.

Excellent points..

Thanks for wording so eloquently what I was thinking :clap

What still amazes me is the large number of people on this board that were still supporting Callahan in year 3.

(I was really trying to, but I could never get totally behind someone that threw his team under the bus by calling his Raiders the stupidest something...

I didn't voice it here (I wasn't a member yet?), but on another board for an SEC team I terrorized...maybe a little.

I remember telling my Brother in year one, that even if Cally wins a MNC in his second year, It wouldn't mean as much to the state (Or maybe to just me), Because he wasn't doing it "The Nebraska Way"..You know..With mass quantities of walk-ons and "Smash-mouth Football" with a dominating Defense.

Call it a double standard, but the main difference in our perceptions of Bo and Cally is Who they followed (Rescued us from).

I wasn't thoroughly convinced Solich was all that bad.

Good comments.......... Yes, this thread is relevant.....some of you must have forgotten BC's 1st year. Go back and check your notes on how we didn't qualify for a bowl, traditions being lost, blah, blah, blah......

I am comparing year 1 to year 1........

Once again, I love Bo's passion and think he is twice the coach BC is and glad he is here. I just see a "double standard" among some of the people who post, which is completely okay..... just stated my opinion.

Well, let's set the parameters first then. Clownahan took over a top 20 10-3 team, and he didn't go bowling. We got completely shelled by a TT team that finished 22 with a 7-4 record. Pelini inherited a non-bowl bound 5 win team. I think it's highly unlikely we don't go bowling this year. So, we saw a huge letdown in year 1 of the Clownahan dibacle. This year, we still have games left and already have as many wins as a year ago. Year 1 to Year 1 comparing apples to apples, Pelini wins hands down. Where's the double standard again?

Callahan had his recruits and his players and his hand picked coaching staff, and with all the tools he had he still screwed it up. I don't know about you guys, but i was always a little skeptical about Callahan's ability to coach not only at the college level, but at Nebraska. Bo can have 3 years before the pressure builds on him, but until i see him fail with his players and good talent, i will not doubt him.

Good comments.......... Yes, this thread is relevant.....some of you must have forgotten BC's 1st year. Go back and check your notes on how we didn't qualify for a bowl, traditions being lost, blah, blah, blah......

Once again, I love Bo's passion and think he is twice the coach BC is and glad he is here. I just see a "double standard" among some of the people who post, which is completely okay..... just stated my opinion.

Well, let's set the parameters first then. Clownahan took over a top 20 10-3 team, and he didn't go bowling. We got completely shelled by a TT team that finished 22 with a 7-4 record. Pelini inherited a non-bowl bound 5 win team. I think it's highly unlikely we don't go bowling this year. So, we saw a huge letdown in year 1 of the Clownahan dibacle. This year, we still have games left and already have as many wins as a year ago. Year 1 to Year 1 comparing apples to apples, Pelini wins hands down. Where's the double standard again?

:yeah

and lets not forget there are threads questioning Bo

Wow.........it amazes me how many people will take the "original thread" or don't take the time to read it before they throw in their two cents...

I never questioned anything about the team's record, progress or even the coach's ability. In fact, I made it extremely clear that I support Bo. Yet, people have use "record", "lack of talent", "games left", "bowling", etc.... just to argue something that wasn't even in question.

Please read the original post. Not saying that I expect everyone or anyone to agree, nor do I have a problem with those who don't..... I thought that is what discussion boards where about.

But, you will not convince me that if BC took away the Blackshirts, that most (if not all) would have said "he has no since of NU history"..... and that BC's defense looked helpless in blowouts in season one, and so does Bo's at times...but we have different opinions.... I think Bo really over does his antics on the sideline, even getting penalties, yet some will make excuses for him and not for BC.

Those are the only 3 examples I used !!! Anyone who has brought in the record, progress and everything else has taken the thread in another direction on their own.

I'm pretty sure you said comparing year 1 to year 1. By doing so, you also have to compare what each inherited from the coach before him. Clownahan inherited a team that finished 20th in the BCS standings in 2003. Pelini inherited a 5 win team with one of the worst defenses in the country.

2003, we won 10 games. 2004 under Clownahan, we won 5 games and stayed home for the holidays.

2007, we won 5 games. 2008 under Pelini, we have already won 5 games with 3 games left and more than likely an additional game in a bowl.

Year 1 to Year 1 comparisons for you.

How can you compare the two coaches first year if you don't compare their records, bowl games, etc.?

its as simple as this basic mathematical equation:

BC + bad season = Excellent in every area

Pelini + bad season = I take full responsibility and apologize to the state of nebraska

end of the discussion right?

No because none of that press conference BS matters. Yet people continue to focus on it.

Wow.........it amazes me how many people will take the "original thread" or don't take the time to read it before they throw in their two cents...

I never questioned anything about the team's record, progress or even the coach's ability. In fact, I made it extremely clear that I support Bo. Yet, people have use "record", "lack of talent", "games left", "bowling", etc.... just to argue something that wasn't even in question.

Please read the original post. Not saying that I expect everyone or anyone to agree, nor do I have a problem with those who don't..... I thought that is what discussion boards where about.

But, you will not convince me that if BC took away the Blackshirts, that most (if not all) would have said "he has no since of NU history"..... and that BC's defense looked helpless in blowouts in season one, and so does Bo's at times...but we have different opinions.... I think Bo really over does his antics on the sideline, even getting penalties, yet some will make excuses for him and not for BC.

Those are the only 3 examples I used !!! Anyone who has brought in the record, progress and everything else has taken the thread in another direction on their own.

again you cant compare the 2. its not the same situation. things like record and talent are very very relevant. how can you expect people reactions to be the same when the situations are very very different?

my point is .... I am NOT comparing coaches, I am comparing "situations" in which I feel that some NU fans have a "double standard"...... there is NO comparison between coaches.

Are you guys saying that if BC took away "blackshirts" in year 1 that most people would have been okay with it.... This is my ONLY question !

And I am saying that the way people reacted to the defense being "out of position" in yr. 1 looks very similar to the defense "being out of position" this yr. vs MU and OU....

No comparison between coaches... Bo will coach circles around BC.... I am just stating that I think Bo gets a little slack because he has been here before... and if you are going to call out 1 coach for his actions (situations), then go ahead and call out the other.