Double Standards?

HANC

my point is .... I am NOT comparing coaches, I am comparing "situations" in which I feel that some NU fans have a "double standard"...... there is NO comparison between coaches.

Are you guys saying that if BC took away "blackshirts" in year 1 that most people would have been okay with it.... This is my ONLY question !

And I am saying that the way people reacted to the defense being "out of position" in yr. 1 looks very similar to the defense "being out of position" this yr. vs MU and OU....

No comparison between coaches... Bo will coach circles around BC.... I am just stating that I think Bo gets a little slack because he has been here before... and if you are going to call out 1 coach for his actions (situations), then go ahead and call out the other.

but BC inherited a decent to good defense. why would he take away the blackshirts? bo inherited the worst defense in the history of the school.

and as I have pointed out there are more than a few people complaining about pelini. I'm sorry but this is just nonsense.

my point is .... I am NOT comparing coaches, I am comparing "situations" in which I feel that some NU fans have a "double standard"...... there is NO comparison between coaches.

Are you guys saying that if BC took away "blackshirts" in year 1 that most people would have been okay with it.... This is my ONLY question !

And I am saying that the way people reacted to the defense being "out of position" in yr. 1 looks very similar to the defense "being out of position" this yr. vs MU and OU....

No comparison between coaches... Bo will coach circles around BC.... I am just stating that I think Bo gets a little slack because he has been here before... and if you are going to call out 1 coach for his actions (situations), then go ahead and call out the other.

but BC inherited a decent to good defense. why would he take away the blackshirts? bo inherited the worst defense in the history of the school.

and as I have pointed out there are more than a few people complaining about pelini. I'm sorry but this is just nonsense.

:yeah

The defense in 2004 was actually the strength of the team. It was the offense that was the problem. Taking the blackshirts away wouldn't have made much sense. Don't get me wrong, the defense that year did get lit up. However, they were on the field 3 out of 4 quarters because of the inept offense that year.

Double standard? So what if there is one? I'm all for anything that makes this team better than what we were seeing. I'm not going to sit here and double think what ppl think. Fans don't coach or run the program. They don't call plays nor schedule games. Nor do the press.

All of this is just non-productive BS. Its time for letting Nebraska football be Nebraska football. Expect some ups and downs along the way.

HANC,

I think what is being missed here is that the actual term "double standard" cannot be used unless all aspects of the two comparisons are exactly the same. They are not.

I would tell you that if the defense looked as bad in 2003 as it did in '07 and BC came in and didn't hand out Blackshirts, every single one of us would back that decision.

I am frustrated that you continually post the same thing, that you aren't comparing coaches, you're comparing situations that DIRECTLY INVOLVE THE COACHES IN QUESTION. You cannot seperate the two. The reactions of people are unpredictable and opinions are formed based upon full grasp of the parameters of the situation. Of course if you had a sheet of paper and wrote down the things that each did, a similar reaction would be shown. Once you educate someone on the situation surrounding the decisions, it is completely different.

This argument is asinine because "double standards" don't exist in these examples.

If you kill a person, you should be punished, right? Blanket statement.

If you have a gun pulled on you in the middle of a war and you kill the person, should you still be punished?

Human beings can rationalize, we don't think in concrete terms. If we did, we wouldn't be on the internet talking. We'd be using smoke signals.

Hey, some agreed with me, some didn't.........and over 50 hits, not a bad topic.......

Someof you guys need to relax a little, being "over-defensive" shows a little bit of "you may be right, but we hate BC so much that we are afraid to admit it"...

Being mad at a call by an official on the field........ by the way......is APPLES TO APPLES......not as the pulling a gun in different circumstances example from "left field"....

BC gets mad at a call, does a "throat-slash" and is called under carpet

Bo gets mad at a call, gets a crucial 15 yd penalty and consistantly looks like an a$$ game after game , yet he is called passionate...... By the way, obviously TO thinks that Bo needs to cool it, because Bo came out and said that for the image of the program, he would "cool it"..... but I am sure some of you will say TO is wrong too.

This is a "double standard" like it or not !!!! Same situation...sidelines in a game, mad at a call !!!!!!

Hey, some agreed with me, some didn't.........and over 50 hits, not a bad topic.......

Someof you guys need to relax a little, being "over-defensive" shows a little bit of "you may be right, but we hate BC so much that we are afraid to admit it"...

Being mad at a call by an official on the field........ by the way......is APPLES TO APPLES......not as the pulling a gun in different circumstances example from "left field"....

Bo gets mad at a call, gets a crucial 15 yd penalty and consistantly looks like an a$$ game after game , yet he is called passionate...... By the way, obviously TO thinks that Bo needs to cool it, because Bo came out and said that for the image of the program, he would "cool it"..... but I am sure some of you will say TO is wrong too.

This is a "double standard" like it or not !!!! Same situation...sidelines in a game, mad at a call !!!!!!

Wow, totally missed that one. Sorry, I guess I only paid attention to the traditions talk.

That one could be, but every one is pissed at Pelini as well. At least that's how I've seen it.

Besides, I agree with BC. Oklahoma is a bunch of f'ing' hillbillies.

:box

I think what matters most is how the players respond. If they respect the Coach they have now (which they obviously do) and they are responding better to him (which they are), then maybe a break is warranted? I would think so.

I wasnt a BP guy. But he has brought together unity among the team and hard work and I appreciate that about him. So I might cut him a little bit of slack.

As for his tantrums and such on the sidelines... I think it's juvenile. He needs to be tougher than that (mentally). A bit more professional. It's okay to state a case against the refs, even yell some, but dude needs to calm down and make his point quick instead of dragging his tantrums on. Since they occur only when NU is losing, well it makes him look like a poor loser.

That's my answer. The rest is just additional fun stuff.

To me, Callahan sucked before NU & after NU. He didnt get a break & I could care less. He was fired by the Raiders. He was unemployed. He needed a job. Why the Athletic Department did not do a better thorough job search is beyond my understanding. I remember that day saying "are you kidding me?" when I heard the news.

And he sure as hell did not invent Offense or the forward pass. Any new coach would have brought in some type of passing game, because that is what was Solich's achilles heel. They couldnt pass the ball when they got behind when Solich was here. And that was the case every time the Huskers played someone who was ranked. He needed to go. I also thought that was not a well thought out hire, even if TO recommended him. Solich's first year sucked.

In football there will always be two people that get the glory and the blame. The head coach, and the QB. Now that's just day one stuff. Everyone should know that by now.

Bo gets mad at a call, gets a crucial 15 yd penalty and consistently looks like an a$$ game after game , yet he is called passionate...... By the way, obviously TO thinks that Bo needs to cool it, because Bo came out and said that for the image of the program, he would "cool it"..... but I am sure some of you will say TO is wrong too.

do I need to pull the numerous amount of posts on this one flaming on bo.... you act like no one stuck up for cally on the throat slash incident. I can tell you for a fact that is not true because I stood up for him. many on the board loved the F'n hillbillies comment and said it was just like devany... heck we had people that had stuff about that in their signature(I think big willie still does) again none of this holds water at all.