Cody Green

as long as the coachs go with the best player plays mentality, i dont care if Green starts or red shirts.

one thing that will help him will be enrolling in Jan. he will be able to participate in spring drills, just like Witt and Spano.

Spano is more of an athlete than Ganz is, and Witt has a stronger arm and a better passer, but Ganz knows the offense better, so that tells me that the offense takes some time to learn.

chances are Green red shirts.

I'm as excited about Green as everyone else, but we've all fallen into this trap before. Curt Dukes, Joe Dailey, Harrison Beck, Sam Keller...

Green could very well be a great player, and I don't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm, but much like Keller and Ganz last year, everyone's fallen in love with a player because A) they assume he is the greatest player ever, and B) they assume that no one currently playing that position on the team is any good.

Personally, I hope Green redshirts. Its true that many programs have started true freshmen and been successful, but those programs also didn't have any other alternative. They also had all the other pieces of a productive offense in place.

Texas had to start McCoy because VY left early and Perriloux reneged on his commitment at the last second. Bradford had to start at Oklahoma because Rhett Bomar got kicked off the team and their WR turned QB (Thompsen?) graduated. Even the great Tim Tebow didn't start as a freshman and basically came in as a third running back in short yardage situations. In short, those teams mostly succeeded in spite of their young qb, not because of him.

Nebraska has options at qb and doesn't need to put a true freshman into the fire. If Green is head and shoulders better than anyone else, then great, put him on the field. But if he's just even with the 2nd string guy, or even the starter, then I'd rather see him redshirt and build for the future.