Longhorn offensive lineman kicked off team

Link to Austin American-Statesman story here

The Statesman article doesn't specify what got Buck Burnette kicked off the team. After the election was called for Obama, he posted the following message on his Facebook page:

"all the hunters gather up, we have a @%#@ in the whitehouse"

He later posted this apology (too late):

"Clearly I have made a mistake and apologized for it and will pay for it. I received it as a text message from an acquaintance and immaturely put it up on facebook in the light of the election. Im not racist and apologize for offending you. I grew up on a ranch in a small town where that was a real thing and I need to grow up. I sincerely am sorry for being ignorant in thinking that it would be ok to write that publicly and apologize to you in particular. I have to be more mature than to put the reputation of my team at stake and to spread that kind of hate which I dont even believe in. Once again, I sincerely apologize."

tnbuck2.jpg

***SNIP***

The Statesman article doesn't specify what got Buck Burnette kicked off the team. After the election was called for Obama, he posted the following message on his Facebook page:

"all the hunters gather up, we have a @%#@ in the whitehouse"

He later posted this apology (too late):

"Clearly I have made a mistake and apologized for it and will pay for it. I received it as a text message from an acquaintance and immaturely put it up on facebook in the light of the election. Im not racist and apologize for offending you.

***SNIP***

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. You're not a racist. :bs:

Kudos to Mac for kicking his sorry a** to the curb so quickly. There is no place in this world for that kind of crap. Again props to coach Brown. Football is a not a right, niether is a free education and life has conciquinces when you act stupid. He now knows that.

He should thank his lucky stars the US govt is considering this a threat to the presidents (albiet president elect) life. I believe that is a felony.

I'll play devil's advocate here and say he probably is not racist. He probably thought it was funny (given that he already was not pleased with Obama's victory) and so just threw it up there as a status message on a whim.

Clearly it wasn't funny, but immature whims like this don't merit being kicked off the team, in my opinion.

zoogies, I see where you are coming from. But on the other hand.

Would anyone but a racist, think that was funny? And how come people say junk like that, then when called on it, imediatly say "i'm not racist"??

The one part of this that I dont think is debatable is that mistakes, immature or not, do merit punishments. The one thing I was ALWAYS taught by my father was, "be aware of what you do, say and how you act. Because although nothing is given, all can be taken away"

I'll play devil's advocate here and say he probably is not racist. He probably thought it was funny (given that he already was not pleased with Obama's victory) and so just threw it up there as a status message on a whim.

Clearly it wasn't funny, but immature whims like this don't merit being kicked off the team, in my opinion.

While I can easily agree that your interpretation of his intentions and reasons for doing it were, perhaps, not racist, I have to disagree that it didn't warrant kicking him off the team. Even assuming that his actions were intended to be funny, convincing the team of that would be impossible. Leaving him on the team opens the coach up to charges and beliefs by the team that the coach condones racist attitudes - regardless whether that is true.

In short, it's like a cancer on the team, and has to be excised.

While I can easily agree that your interpretation of his intentions and reasons for doing it were, perhaps, not racist, I have to disagree that it didn't warrant kicking him off the team. Even assuming that his actions were intended to be funny, convincing the team of that would be impossible. Leaving him on the team opens the coach up to charges and beliefs by the team that the coach condones racist attitudes - regardless whether that is true.

In short, it's like a cancer on the team, and has to be excised.

Political Correctness rears it's (less than pretty) head once again?..(Probably too controversial to write "Ugly Head" anymore). <_<

I had to look up "Racist" just to make sure I haven't been guilty of it..(I Have)..I was raised to be the least racist person possible, but I still dragged my feet a little on the Homophobia thing..(Maybe not a lot to do with race, but related in my pre-judging groups of people).

The fact, that I've dated outside my race AND made it a point to point that out in itself is a form of racism..

This poster made some interesting points..

...When an American can't make fun of the president(elect).. this is communism! He needs to go to the ACLU to get his position back!! First Amendment Freedom of Speech (protects offensive writing)...

I'd almost PAY to see how the ACLU would respond.

It'd be a great oppertunity for them to tear down some of their own negative steriotypes.

Dismissing this as "political correctness" is absurd.

I my experience people who tell "jokes" like that or laugh at jokes like are closet racists at best. When confronted, they'll dismiss it using the "well it was just a joke!" remark and, of course, dismissing the fact that they are racist on some level.

This is not the same as poking fun at the president. Involving race in a "joke" about killing the president of the US isn't "poking fun" IMO.

"I've date someone outside my race." Like that means anything.

The quote about hiding behind the first amendment is kind of a joke....I am pretty sure once you talk about hanging, killing, or harming someone that goes right out the window.

This guy is lucky he did not have homeland security at his front door ready to interrogate him about making these remarks. I still think he is a complete moron and is most likely racist. You just don't make a comment like that.....

The first amendment only protects you from the government taking away your right to free speech. Even though UT is a public school, playing on the football team isn't a protected right.

And you simply cannot threaten the life of the president, or president-elect. It would not surprise me if he gets at least a visit from the FBI or secret service. His only defense is that it could probably be construed as something other than a threat, like "prepare to defend yourself" or something like that, which is still stupid and racist.

At the very least, he's going to be reminded of this every time he goes through security at an airport, or tries to get any kind of job requiring a security clearance.

Dismissing this as "political correctness" is absurd.

I my experience people who tell "jokes" like that or laugh at jokes like are closet racists at best. When confronted, they'll dismiss it using the "well it was just a joke!" remark and, of course, dismissing the fact that they are racist on some level.

This is not the same as poking fun at the president. Involving race in a "joke" about killing the president of the US isn't "poking fun" IMO.

"I've date someone outside my race." Like that means anything.

I'd have to know more about this kid to be able to make the snap judgement on whether he was really a "closet racist".

And More about typing while drunk to know if some of yr word usage was attributed to dating outside yer species?

I was about his age when I was finnishing school and one of my part time jobs was in the camera dept of a dept. store in Lincoln..I'd gotten a customer who brought back some photos, saying they "obviously weren't hers..they were of a black family".

In my lame attempt to impress my Manager and make the lady laugh, I said something like, "They do appear to be a little overdeveloped".

Does that make me a "Racist"?

I don't think so..Not as much as saying to anyone you're trying to impress that "Some of my best friends are Black" or "I dated a Black Girl for awhile"...The fact that I felt the need to add that extra word "Black" makes me feel a little racist.

And since when is "killing" off limits for jokes?

In the imortal words of Slim Pickens to Hervey Korman in Blazing Saddles, " I wish you would hang that Ni**er until he was dead"....I was rolling!