Landmark triumph for Pelini

I'm not sure if the win over KU could be classified as a "landmark" win but it's definitely huge in terms of obtaining bowl eligibility and getting the team in a position to win out and finish with a 9-4 record

Steven M. Sipple: Pelini gets landmark triumph

Back in Big Red’s glory days, it probably would’ve been a cold day in you-know-where before Nebraska fans felt such utter joy and satisfaction after a victory against a Kansas team with a .500 league record.

Back in the Husker football glory days, you would never have found 1,000 or so empty seats in the student section of Memorial Stadium, even on a day as cold as Saturday.

Those absent students missed a heck of a game, and a landmark triumph for Bo Pelini and company.

Make no mistake, Nebraska’s 45-35 win was as satisfying and timely for Huskers fans as a cup of steaming coffee on a frigid day. Here was something to warm their hearts. Here was some hope for them to grasp, even through their gloves and mittens. Here was tangible evidence that this Pelini fellow might just be the one to push this program back into national prominence, to a place where students couldn’t fathom staying away from the big stadium on a given Saturday, even on a 35-degree Saturday when it felt like 20.

Yes, one of those gorgeous days for football.

“One of the greatest things about this game was I thought the crowd really did get into it late,” said Nebraska senior wide receiver Todd Peterson.

The home crowd was louder than usual, of that I’m certain. Bless those hearty souls who braved the howling 25 mph gusts. Those folks who came and stayed and roared to the end are examples of why the Nebraska program has glory days in the first place and probably will again someday.

Indeed, perhaps this Pelini guy can usher back the glory.

“Our mission right now is to win out,” the first-year Nebraska head coach said after his team improved to 6-4 overall and 3-3 in the Big 12.

The thing is, Nebraska winning out in the regular season now seems very likely, with games remaining against the calamity that is Kansas State and at home against scuffling Colorado. It helps matters that the Huskers relieved some pressure with Saturday’s triumph.

Pressure? On a first-year coach? Really? Well, yes, it was a rather tense week at Big Red Central. Nebraska fans entered the season hoping Pelini would have a magic cure for humiliating losses like last week’s 62-28 debacle at Oklahoma. Fans hoped such horrifying losses went out with Bill Callahan and crew.

What’s more, Pelini had to answer a slew of questions about his sideline demeanor and obscene language caught by ESPN cameras during the Oklahoma game (for the record, he was much more calm against Kansas). He even met with his boss regarding his language.

The boss, Tom Osborne, was smiling early Saturday evening as he quickly walked past reporters, no doubt aware his rookie head coach had just picked up easily his highest-quality win of the season — not necessarily in terms of quality of play, but in quality of opponent. Kansas is one season removed from an Orange Bowl triumph. The Jayhawks obviously have taken a step back this season, but still are formidable. Before Saturday’s loss, they were tied with Missouri atop the Big 12 North Division.

As for Nebraska, there really wasn’t much on the line Saturday except for credibility for Pelini and his staff. Yes, this was a big credibility win for Bo.

Oh, and Big Red also took care of that not-so-minor matter of bowl eligibility. The Huskers gained the inside track to the Sun Bowl, where they last played in 1980, beating Mississippi State behind MVP efforts by Jeff Quinn and Jimmy Williams.

There was a time when it absolutely would’ve had to be a cold day in you-know-where before Nebraska fans would celebrate a late-December trip to El Paso, Texas. But ol’ El Paso suddenly seems a lovely destination for Big Red faithful who suffered through bowl-less winters in 2004 and 2007.

Nebraska now has a legitimate chance to finish 9-4. After last season’s 5-7 disaster, 9-4 sounds like a little slice of paradise.

Husker players probably wouldn’t complain about El Paso, if that indeed turns out to be the bowl destination.

“I kept saying all along there’s a lot of character in that locker room, and it showed today,” Pelini said. “It’s showed time after time this year. I’m honored to be around this group of guys. It’s fun to coach kids like this.”

Yes, the fun was back in the old stadium. The new head coach was smiling instead of growling.

It’s funny how a hard-charging I-back (Roy Helu) and a surging defensive line can change everybody’s mood.

The Huskers made smart plays, clutch plays, trick plays. The veteran quarterback played through pain. It sort of felt like the old days around here toward the end of the game, what with the crowd roaring as Big Red subdued the boys in blue.

It was a memorable occasion.

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.

This was a nice win, but not landmark. I stated last year, and before this season ever started, that KU didn't really play a tough schedule last year, and thus was highly over-ranked in the polls. And that carried over to this year. I even dare to say, that when they lose their QB, their run is over, they will be back to scraping bottom with K-State.

I know that there are some KU fans on this board, and I don't mean to offend them, but that is how I see it. I don't have any real hatred for KU (as I do with CU), but the talent level just isn't there. They caught us at bottom last year and took advantage of it...their team was a flash in the pan and had a schedule that was weak and was able to take advantage of it.

When we play, and beat an Oklahoma, Texas, or a team like USC when they are in the Top 5 in the country, that will be a landmark triumph.

idk about a landmark win but it sure does feel good knowing that we could finish at 9-4 and having KU really be the last game that was a tossup as to who wins its nice to have it out of the way knowing that we got the W as far as landmark, if its possible to get a true landmark win this season i think our best chance would come in a bowl game if we could win out and play a quality team.

...Never thought just being bowl eligible with a win would make that a landmark win for this school with all it's great tradition, and with all the great games we have had in our hallowed history. Calling this a landmark win is just laughable. I enjoy reading his stuff, but Sipp missed the boat on this one big-time...

I think it depends on the context you view the win from. I agree with Sip. Kansas is a good team. Other than maybe the '06 team, the former coach had difficulty winning against a team of KU's caliber (well coached, few mistakes). I think KU and VT are very similar, and I would actually give the edge to KU. Certainly this wouldnt have ranked up there with a win over OU or TT this year, but when was the last time NU beat a team of even KU's calibur?

for pelini it absolutely is a landmark win. take a look at the first years of many of the newer caoches around... both good and bad. hawkins, prince, stoops, pinkle, saban.... getting to 6 wins is a big deal(esp with more wins almost certainly to come) and beating a team like KU(not great but pretty good) compound that with the fact that KU "crap pounded"(thank you tuff tiger) last year..... it shows how far Pelini has brought us in just a years time. while the product as a whole is still very average(esp by nu standards) IF pelini can keep this team improving at the current rate i think we will be a good team by the end of next year.