Summary of the NU victroy, Jayhawk Defeat

jayhawk

For 3 quarters this game was a dead heat, but key factors were in the works. The ability of NU to consistently get first downs, while KU relied on big play, would make a big difference as the game went on. I thought the teams were pretty even talent wise, but NU deserved to win. Here were the factors...

1) WR blocking. KU has more spectacular / big play type WRs, but man those NU guys blocked well. They would lock their guys up and it caused huge issues. If NU got outside, that blocking was worth 5 extra yards, and that made ball control much easier for NU.

2) Helu, that guy played well. He was always a threat and kept the chains moving. He was used in multiple ways, and that made for a long day for KU, as Nebraska established a better run. THat guy played well and all the talk of him as just a dependable utility guy was not really doing him credit. He may not be the best in the country, but he is pretty darn good.

3) Awesome defensive preperation by NU. No one has taken away our shovel pass for an entire game... until now. Blown up each time. Our option fake into a reverse, obviously that had been seen on fil and remember too. They also knew to key on shap in the option read, as Reesing is elusive but not nearly as fast. Reesing got some yard, but Sharp never got going. THe outside option was well defneded, it could get some yards, but was never to be a big play generator.

Finally, KU made it's big plays, but because NU controlled the clock and KU had too many 3 and outs, the KU defense was on the field too long. I think that is why in the 4th quarter NU was so hard for KU to stop. The defense played on the field too much. NU's stategy worked, and it's defense got enough pressure and improved enough to get the stops they need. KU was not the team they were last year, and NU was better than last year (which I think is more about coaching than players), and that combo was enough to turn the tide in Lincoln. I have been saying that next year KU could win the north, I still think it is true, and I think the game in Lawrence should be fun. Could be for the North title, for that matter. I hope some of you all come on down and enjoy what should be a pretty good game.

Congrats to the Huskers, they won and they played the better game.

The defenses play against the run yesterday was huge. The only time Sharp really did anything was in the 3rd & early 4th qtr. which padded there rushing total a bit.

Good game plan on D all around, even after giving up 300+ in the air we still got it done, and came away with a solid win. Nice work BLACKSHIRTS!!!

I think it was an entertaining game all the way around. A lot of fun to listen to, especially with Nebraska winning.

Good analysis jayhawk...I know it probably didn't come out the way you wanted in the end, but it had to be fun for you to watch too until later in the 4th quarter...it was close. I have a good friend that is a KU fan, kept texting me during the game until the end...even offered to buy the first beer when I see her at the end of the month. KU fans are okay in my book...

if you think that kansas is going to win the north next year then your crazy

:bonez:bonez:bonez

Well, i have been saying it all year, and saying Mizzou would win this year, whihc sadly looks to be right. We played a lot of young guys in Lincoln, they will get better, and other than losing some interior lineman and a few good LBs, we are mostly back. Our may opponents are a Maclin (proabbly) and Daniel free Mizzou and you all. I think we are good enough to beat you in Lawrence next year, but it should be a good game. We will see, we have a little strak against you in Lawrence, as you may know. :)

Well, i have been saying it all year, and saying Mizzou would win this year, whihc sadly looks to be right. We played a lot of young guys in Lincoln, they will get better, and other than losing some interior lineman and a few good LBs, we are mostly back. Our may opponents are a Maclin (proabbly) and Daniel free Mizzou and you all. I think we are good enough to beat you in Lawrence next year, but it should be a good game. We will see, we have a little strak against you in Lawrence, as you may know. :)

Isn't Maclin a true soph? Don't you have to be 3 years out of HS in order to be drafted? I though Clarett lost that lawsuit...

Oh, yes, and Neb will be even better next year. Watch out...

KU was completely overmatched. The only reason this game wasn't decided by mid third quarter is because of bonehead turnovers and penalties, as per usual. The D stepped up, and while I'd like to see less two-hand-touch, I thought they played pretty damn physically and did a good job of making KU one dimensional.

KU fans thinking this was a "good" game are kidding themselves. This will probably be a different story next year, but Kansas is just not a good football team this year, and I'm disappointed we didn't score 60+ points on them. The opportunites were certainly there.

Is Reesing a senior this year? If so what does KU have behind him?