Formula For Another National Championship...

T_O_Bull

Today on ESPN'S "The Herd" with Colin Cowherd he made some real good points. First, highly penalized teams equal poorly coached teams. Obviously an area we need to improve in and it may take some time to get there. Second, the more west coast your passing game is (substitute finese or complicated for west coast if you like) the harder it is to win when you are on the road. Want to be a national power? Power defence. Power running game. Simplified air attack. His examples, 1 Alabama, 2 NE Patriots, 3 Florida and 4 the TN Titans. I think this is the direction Bo P. is headed. GBR.

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez:bonez

Today on ESPN'S "The Herd" with Colin Cowherd he made some real good points. First, highly penalized teams equal poorly coached teams. Obviously an area we need to improve in and it may take some time to get there. Second, the more west coast your passing game is (substitute finese or complicated for west coast if you like) the harder it is to win when you are on the road. Want to be a national power? Power defence. Power running game. Simplified air attack. His examples, 1 Alabama, 2 NE Patriots, 3 Florida and 4 the TN Titans. I think this is the direction Bo P. is headed. GBR.

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez:bonez

As for the first point, yes it is poor coaching sometimes. I'm hoping ours is a case of only enough practices coming into the season to get things installed and not enough time to fine tune things and have them mastered. If we have all the same coaches and we still have these problems next year, then FIRE BO! :sarcasm

As for the rest of it, he is just taking 1 particular year as an example. I don't remember the 49'rs of the 80's losing on the road that often. Didn't they invent the WCO?

Colin is a tard. He changes his arguement to fit the situation.

#1, as Overland pointed out, Florida is not power anything.

#2, last year, as with most years he toots the horn of USC. who has a spread air attack.

#3, said last years Pats were the best team ever. They were a spread NFL team taking more than 70% of their snaps in shotgun and 4 wide.

I would bet if you hang around and listen, bychance if the Titans, Alabama or any of his current examples lose in the Playoffs or their bowl (or big game like a cof. championship) he will say their basic offense and enibility to make big plays is what cost them.

#1, as Overland pointed out, Florida is not power anything.

#2, last year, as with most years he toots the horn of USC. who has a spread air attack.

#3, said last years Pats were the best team ever. They were a spread NFL team taking more than 70% of their snaps in shotgun and 4 wide.

I would bet if you hang around and listen, bychance if the Titans, Alabama or any of his current examples lose in the Playoffs or their bowl (or big game like a cof. championship) he will say their basic offense and enibility to make big plays is what cost them.

That is pretty much all I get from him also. I have tried to listen to him before several times and each time I keep thinking how much of an idiot he is. This is just one prime example.

USC is classic west coast offense. Florida is a spread option.

Penalties have no bearing on how well a team does. I cant find the stat page, but several of the top 10 teams are also top 10 in penalties per game.

And comparing college and the NFL is pointless. Though lately the NFL is borrowing more and more from college, lots more 4 wide sets, or the 'wildcat' formation that Miami and everyone else is adding in.

IMO, you need:

1. Speed. And more speed.

2. A good QB with experience

3. Aggressive Defense

4. Blanced attack with a strong running game that can get 4-5 yards at any time, but is also a threat to go the distance at any time.

5. Fewer penalties than most (NU has REALLY gotten better as the season has progressed, IMO).

6. Speed.

:clap:yeah

...and more speed!!

By the way, I agree Cowherd is a tard!!

He's uninteresting, rarely if ever has any real wisdom or insight and was probably the kid in Junior High everyone picked on. Seriously, who listens to that drivel?

Agreed. Bill King(Rivals Radio, Sirius) is THE BEST cfb commentator. :thumbs

IMO, you need:

3. Aggressive Defense

4. Blanced attack with a strong running game that can get 4-5 yards at any time, but is also a threat to go the distance at any time.

5. Fewer penalties than most (NU has REALLY gotten better as the season has progressed, IMO).

6. Speed.

:yeah But I would amend #5 to Fewer penalties than most, and NO bone headed personal penalties, especially from the HC. How many times did Dr. Tom get a personal penalty called on him? For that matter, how many personal penalties did you see called on any of his teams, if a player had one called on him, he dealt with that player in a way that it didn't happen again. We had many aggressive defenses that didn't have that many 15 yarders called on them that often, so just because your aggressive don't mean you have to take the penalties either. You have to play smart.

IMO, you need:

3. Aggressive Defense

6. Speed.

very good point...speed speed and aggressiveness on D...solid running...sounds like nu in the 90's

it seems we have been doing much better on the penalties dont you think? As for offense/defense. I think a power defense is incredibly important. A solid running game is also a critical thing to have, but unlike 90% of the people on this thread, I don't really have a problem with our offense. We put up points quite well. We can slow down the tempo and control the game clock if we want, we are generally money on third down conversions, if we need 7 points in 58 seconds we can do it without a problem, and in general, we put up lots of points.