Rushing 39th

Passing 12th

Scoring 19th

The Defense rankings through 11 games

Total Defense 68th

Rushing 51st

Passing 90th

Scoring 88th

But the real stat to look at is 3rd down conversion. The Offense is completing 49% of it's chances. The Defense is at 35%. Those are pretty good 3rd down numbers.

I hate the "what if" cliche, but dang, what if we didn't have all those penalties. Anyways, great improvement, and it only gets better, as the defense has shown all year.

This years schedule has included the number 1, 3,4 7,9, and 11th best passing offenses in the country. That kind of competition will drive your rankings down at least some. The 'D' is probably better than what the rankings would suggest.

I wonder if the ******* ones are watching this and cringing.....

:clap That is pretty damn impressive if you ask me. Two thumbs up to the coaching staff for getting this program back on track. It is FANtastic to be a Husker fan, don't you think? Wonder if any of the pollsters are noticing those numbers?? Obviously not.

Still a work in progress...but much better than last year on defense especially.

Actually, in the grand scheme of things, it isn't a whole lot better. The statistics give that illusion because the Blackshirts are simply on the field for far fewer plays. So, really, we have "ball hogging" to thank. (Thank you ball control!) It's awesome either way. Last year the Huskers were ranked 81st in TOP, this year they are ranked 2nd. Less time the Blackshirts' services are needed = better. Establishing any type of run game has been just what this defense needed for Bo's first year.

They are unfortunately still giving up an average of 5.85 yards per play, and if there was a ranking for that, it would be good enough for 9th place in the Big 12 -- just ahead of KSU, A&M, and ISU.

For now, however, I will take the illusion of better defensive play and just say we are ranked 4th in the conference in total defense. That said, I am loving the last two games where I do think there has been legitimate improvement made. What I love even more is that there is no quit in this team at all and I think the defense will get even better as they all unlearn the past.

I am happy with that just because it is an improvement. We didn't go backwards in our first year (which would have been near impossible to do). Just look what our defense has been up against all year, I realize that our pass D is ranked high they are at least flying around the field and "trying" unlike last year.

I think it shows that being in the Big 12 with the fire power this league has this year, that the teams is buying into Bo's schemes. Keeping the ball away from opponents and keeping the defense well rested. Shows what they can do when their not out there most of the game.

This really isn't any different than the teams of Bob D and Tom O. Same philosophy, they just had the players to implement their game plans.

Look how far Bo's taken this group, hard not to expect a dominating defense when he has all the players he needs in place.

GBR!!!

The defensive stats are a bit misleading, being in the Big XII and all. We would have a higher overall defensive rating playing in any other conference.

Don't be too quick to use this, it goes both ways: We probably are ranked this high on offense because we are in the Big XII.

But your offense still has to put up some numbers to be ranked that high, unless you are saying that the Big 12 is weak when it comes to defense. I wonder how the defenses that we have played against rank, anyone know this factoid?

Either way, we are doing a lot better than 114th we had last year. I also think that time of possession is a big reason we are where we are...hard for the other team to score if they don't get the ball but so many times a game.

The defensive stats are a bit misleading, being in the Big XII and all. We would have a higher overall defensive rating playing in any other conference.

Don't be too quick to use this, it goes both ways: We probably are ranked this high on offense because we are in the Big XII.

But your offense still has to put up some numbers to be ranked that high, unless you are saying that the Big 12 is weak when it comes to defense. I wonder how the defenses that we have played against rank, anyone know this factoid?

Either way, we are doing a lot better than 114th we had last year. I also think that time of possession is a big reason we are where we are...hard for the other team to score if they don't get the ball but so many times a game.

Yes, I'm saying that we're ranked higher because the defenses in our conference are weak.