Bo's Approval Rating

Bo's Approval Rating  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm constantly amazed at the astronomical expectations of the Husker Nation. It's unrealistic to expect a Big XII championship and gunning for the BCS Championship every year. I think that perception gives Husker fans a bad name, as they sometimes go overboard with their demands from the program.

The last 4 years should have shown Husker fans to appreciate a program that is competitive every year. Osborne "couldn't win the big one" for years, and was criticized up and down until he did. In today's football climate, my expectations are to be competitive in the Big XII, a winning record every year, and I gotta leave it at that. Of course I would want to see all the rest of that happen, but it's time for Husker fans to realize the difficulty of what they ask for, and be satisfied with hard work, dedication, fulfilling their potential, and giving a great effort on the field - all of which Bo has brought to the program in less than a year.

For that, he gets my vote for "Much Better than Expected". Any other program would expect a brand new coach to do marginally better than the predecessor the first year they step in office. Implementing new schemes, breaking down bad habits and building good ones, working with people that may or may not fit your ideal, etc. Bo has done something 99% of the sinking programs in the nation would kill for.

Let's not get back into the mode we were with Solich - having a good program but setting the bar extremely high and demanding too much, otherwise we will be looking for another coach in 6 years, and we may get another Callahan/Weis.

Speaking of Weis, he's meeting with the higher ups I believe today. I thought he'd get one more year, but there might be enough pressure to try and buy him out this year. Notre dumb needs to pull their head out. They're going to have to get a coach who's proven at the college level. ESPN was saying Notre dumb needs to forget about getting some of the athletes USC, Texas, etc. is getting. They claim those days are over now because of the amount of networks carrying so many other games now. According to them, they need a coach like Paul Johnson who will go outside the box in terms of offense. Time will tell, but I think Charlie's days on Notre dumb's sideline are quickly coming to an end.

I'm constantly amazed at the astronomical expectations of the Husker Nation. It's unrealistic to expect a Big XII championship and gunning for the BCS Championship every year. I think that perception gives Husker fans a bad name, as they sometimes go overboard with their demands from the program.

The last 4 years should have shown Husker fans to appreciate a program that is competitive every year. Osborne "couldn't win the big one" for years, and was criticized up and down until he did. In today's football climate, my expectations are to be competitive in the Big XII, a winning record every year, and I gotta leave it at that. Of course I would want to see all the rest of that happen, but it's time for Husker fans to realize the difficulty of what they ask for, and be satisfied with hard work, dedication, fulfilling their potential, and giving a great effort on the field - all of which Bo has brought to the program in less than a year.

For that, he gets my vote for "Much Better than Expected". Any other program would expect a brand new coach to do marginally better than the predecessor the first year they step in office. Implementing new schemes, breaking down bad habits and building good ones, working with people that may or may not fit your ideal, etc. Bo has done something 99% of the sinking programs in the nation would kill for.

Let's not get back into the mode we were with Solich - having a good program but setting the bar extremely high and demanding too much, otherwise we will be looking for another coach in 6 years, and we may get another Callahan/Weis.

People here voting, 'as expected', or 'slightly better than expected', I think are saying just that: it went about as they expected for a 1st year coach. I think most fans were realistically looking for 7 wins this season. There are a few crazies that were talking in terms of CCs and NCs which was not realistic.

I think the minimum 'up and running' standard @ NE is 9 wins, 50% bowl wins, and a CCG appearance every 3 years or so, with a BCS/NC possibility realistically in the conversation.

So, the fact that BO might get 9 wins this season definitely exceeds expectations for a 1st year.

BO's not going anywhere, he's gonna 'git r dun' @ NE! :w00t

Beginning on the season I said 7-5/8-4 with losses to OU/Mizzou/TT and either VT or Kansas(or possibly both). That was completely realistic at the beginning of the season. A lot of people were just being completely pessimistic.

Maybe you could explain why it is bad to have high expectations? What is the point of goal setting if you don't set something that is tough to attain? Setting the bar low just leads to no progress.. if there is nothing tough in reaching the goals that are set there is no pride in reaching them. I have a feeling that Bo may tell you the same thing...

Just as I excepted, I knew he couldn't work miracles in one season. Now that he has one season under his belt and the players are responding well to the new system (on defense anyway).

We could easily be anywhere from 7-5, 8-4, or 9-3 very easily and I am happy with that since it is an improvement over last year.

Maybe you could explain why it is bad to have high expectations? What is the point of goal setting if you don't set something that is tough to attain? Setting the bar low just leads to no progress.. if there is nothing tough in reaching the goals that are set there is no pride in reaching them. I have a feeling that Bo may tell you the same thing...

I'm not saying we shouldn't set the bar high - Osborne laid it on the line when he fired Callahan. He said losing seasons are unacceptable. Bo has said that he wants to put a quality product on the field. He also said that his goal is to have the guys on the field live up to their potential. My beef isn't with people who expect the team to win games, because they should. But, I think Bo as well as TO would say that all they can ask is for their guys to go out on the field and give their 100% effort.

Any fan who EXPECTS a National Championship is delusional. Put that shoe on the other foot - any coach who said they guarantee a National Championship or a Big XII championship would be executed in the media. All they can ask for is the guys to give their all, and to always be improving, and the score will take care of itself. Bo absolutely should shoot for as many wins as he can garner, and should expect a high level of effort, but if success is measured in 10 wins per season or a Big XII championship by year 2, then we're setting ourselves up for failure, and I would think that managing expectations and over-delivering is a better position than the contrary (like Callahan year 4 - expecting Big XII championship and ending up in a losing season).

Though I said 8-4 with a 9-4 bowl game win, I still believe he exceeded my expectations. He has brought a fire to this team that we haven't seen for quite a few years under some douchebag I care not to mention. I never thought he would actually get to 8-4 with the taint on the players from the aforementioned dbag(s). He turned these guys into players and even though we had some mistakes, they fought hard and never gave up. I plan on seeing Bo take us to an NC in the next 5-10 years and I see our team in the top 10 for many years to come.

Go Bo, and Go Big Red.

National Championships are a different 'animal' altogether: with few exceptions, they are very hard to come by. How many games with NC implications did OZ have to go through over the course of 30+ yrs until he got his first? Bobby Bowden?

If BO gets an NC within 10 years he will have definitely exceeded my expectations. But I can see us in a BCS game in 3-4 years, maybe sooner.

Though I said 8-4 with a 9-4 bowl game win, I still believe he exceeded my expectations. He has brought a fire to this team that we haven't seen for quite a few years under some douchebag I care not to mention. I never thought he would actually get to 8-4 with the taint on the players from the aforementioned dbag(s). He turned these guys into players and even though we had some mistakes, they fought hard and never gave up. I plan on seeing Bo take us to an NC in the next 5-10 years and I see our team in the top 10 for many years to come.

Go Bo, and Go Big Red.

One big difference this year is that we were a strong 2nd half team. :yeah

I'm not saying we shouldn't set the bar high - Osborne laid it on the line when he fired Callahan. He said losing seasons are unacceptable. Bo has said that he wants to put a quality product on the field. He also said that his goal is to have the guys on the field live up to their potential. My beef isn't with people who expect the team to win games, because they should. But, I think Bo as well as TO would say that all they can ask is for their guys to go out on the field and give their 100% effort.

Any fan who EXPECTS a National Championship is delusional. Put that shoe on the other foot - any coach who said they guarantee a National Championship or a Big XII championship would be executed in the media. All they can ask for is the guys to give their all, and to always be improving, and the score will take care of itself. Bo absolutely should shoot for as many wins as he can garner, and should expect a high level of effort, but if success is measured in 10 wins per season or a Big XII championship by year 2, then we're setting ourselves up for failure, and I would think that managing expectations and over-delivering is a better position than the contrary (like Callahan year 4 - expecting Big XII championship and ending up in a losing season).

If you don't think that the really good teams don't put NC on their "Goals" board at the beginning of the season then you are nuts. TO's teams did that a lot in the 90's, goals included Big VIII/XII title and NC. I guarantee you that Big XII title was on the goals list this year and in a few years Bo will have the other on their as well.

If you don't think that the really good teams don't put NC on their "Goals" board at the beginning of the season then you are nuts. TO's teams did that a lot in the 90's, goals included Big VIII/XII title and NC. I guarantee you that Big XII title was on the goals list this year and in a few years Bo will have the other on their as well.

Goals are different than expectations - you should set your goals high, but you should never miss your expectations. Coaches always say they focus on the things they can control, and let everyone else focus on the things they can't.

If they have their eye on the NC at the beginning of the year, there will always be a team that will knock you off that horse because you weren't focusing on the week at hand. TO and EVERY coach will tell you that, and we've seen that time and time again in NCAA FB. Hell, Michigan was taking Appalachian State for granted, they were taking bowl games for granted EVERY year - we took Ball State for granted last year. We could go on and on. Most good coaches focus on the current week instead of predicting championships.

yea, calli used to have them break the huddle @ practice w, 'hational champs'. I thinked they stopped doing that at some point last yr.

Ya gotta be real, itsa a long term goal, prolly.