Nebraska Kids

Well now that you got what you wanted a buch of hits and comments on your subject here. I was just wondering where you sit on the same question? There has been some pretty darn goods points made, and now I am wondering where you sit. :dunno

I could careless how many in-state kids get scholarships

Like I said, I personally think the number is a non issue

Also I said I don’t care how many in-state kids we give scholarships to

Here are my views from my first 2 posts in this thread.

My beef isn’t the not taking of in-state kids; my thing is that there was an outcry against Billy C for not taking a set number of in-state kids (by a group of fans and former players) yet 2 of 18 gets a pass.

Okay to answer the question I believe there should not be a set quota on the number of players taken from Nebraska in each recruiting class. Last year (class of 2008) was abnormal in the number of quality players available in Nebraska. Considering Nebraska's limited population base there are only going to be so many players to begin with.

That's f'ing ridiculous!! Affirmative-action on football schollies!! Yeah, that'll win you some ball games!! :sarcasm

How about the best 85 players, no matter where they are from, get the scholarships and the others walk-on and try to earn one. That's the way it is now and the way it should stay!!

What's inconsistent is the behavior towards the first year coach when comparing Solich apologists to Clownahan apologists. Solich apologists were hammered when even mentioning the w/l record Clownahan's first year. Now that Bo beat the tar out of Clownahan's w/l record in his first year we have to move onto something more meaningful like schollies.

Well now that you got what you wanted a buch of hits and comments on your subject here. I was just wondering where you sit on the same question? There has been some pretty darn goods points made, and now I am wondering where you sit. :dunno

My beef isn’t the not taking of in-state kids; my thing is that there was an outcry against Billy C for not taking a set number of in-state kids (by a group of fans and former players) yet 2 of 18 gets a pass.

This may be just me, but I don't think that most of the beef was from the recruiting of in-state kids but the way he handled the relationships between him the kids and their coaches. He shot himself in the foot so many times that he lost almost all of the respect that he needed to suceed here, and lets be honest do you really think that he wanted a long term commitment here I doubt it.

I see what you're saying, but I also think with the rejuvenation of the walk-on program, under Pelini, there are more in-state players being afforded the opportunity to play ball at NU!! I don't think the issue with Callahan was the number of scholarships handed out to in-state players, but the lack of interest shown in them or the opportunity for them to join. He greatly limited the number of walk-ons and that in turn limited the number of in-state players joining the team. With Pelini, only handing out 2 schollies to in-state players doesn't mean he's disregarding the states talent. Instead, he expanded the walk-on program to allow for more opportuinities and saved the scholarships for the talent the team truly needs.

If only there was some forum for discussing recruiting.

Thanks for pointing that out to me I really don't know my way around the board. <_<

Hmmmm, that is exactly why it is humorous. :clap

are you going to do this every time there is a slight difference in the way the 2 were treated? this act is getting old. I was one of cally's biggest supporters....

:yeah I think I will start a thread entitled, "Over/under on how many 'Why don't the fans treat Bo the same as Cally?' threads Newearth starts between now and the bowl game. Seriously, c'mon now.

Okay to answer the question I believe there should not be a set quota on the number of players taken from Nebraska in each recruiting class. Last year (class of 2008) was abnormal in the number of quality players available in Nebraska. Considering Nebraska's limited population base there are only going to be so many players to begin with.

That's f'ing ridiculous!! Affirmative-action on football schollies!! Yeah, that'll win you some ball games!! :sarcasm

How about the best 85 players, no matter where they are from, get the scholarships and the others walk-on and try to earn one. That's the way it is now and the way it should stay!!

Eh? Did you misread that a la Gilda Radner?

Eh? Did you misread that a la Gilda Radner?

Yeah, sorry!! Must have lost my damn mind!! Sorry again!!

I never once figured any of the people around here would have the same views towards things as I do. I have tried to point out inconsistencies in the way Billy C. was treated concerning some things that he did compared to Pelini and the way he has done some thing similarly yet isn’t condemned over them. Sure we are 8-4 but things didn’t always look so shiny until we hit the JV part of the schedule and Bo was still getting a pass when doing some of those Callahanlike things.

As far as this “act” growing tired towards some, there isn’t anything I can do about that, because I’m not going to change and as long as there are contradictions I will be here beating my drum and pointing them out.

I look at it this way, if things are still a mess in our country a couple years from now all of those media types and blowhards’ better being treating Obama the same way they treated ole Bushy. Or how about the way Willingham was treated compared to Weis even though Notre Dame sucks just as bad now as they did then. Or the way San Diego management treated Marty-Ball compared to how Norv is getting a pass. All inconsistencies even though all of these people hold the same position as the person before them just like Billy C. and Pelini. Maybe I’m naïve in thinking that people would be held to the same standards but then again that could just be me.

I believe the group of people I am talking about is the same dorks that got mad about Billy C. and his band of gypsies wearing all black sweat-suits on the sidelines. They went to Stevie P. about all of their grievances. I may be wrong but I will look it up to double check.

How many of these threads have I started anyway? Maybe I should just stick to the standard thread starting topics of:

I love Joe Ganz

Roy Helu should start

Black-out this Saturday

When is Bo going give out the Blackshirts?

What Bowl are we going to?

I’ll try harder next time.

Now if you’ll excuse me I have to go find a puppy to hug and a pot to stir-up.

Eh, I'm not touching your bait on politics with a 10 foot pole. However, you do have merit with regards to Norv who I consider a horrible coach and Marty. I still stand by my statement that with the revitalization of the walk-on program, we will have more NU kids on the sidelines. This will free up schollies to go after kids from Cali, Texas, Florida, etc. In terms of Weis and Willingham, you do have to admit that Willingham just isn't a very good coach. Rumor has it that Notre Dumb is looking at ways/possibilities already of buying out Weis's contract. I have a feeling he has one more year there, and he's on a very short leash. So until after next season, it's difficult to say Weis won't be treated in the same manner as Willingham. I have noticed however since the running game has emerged that you have dropped your "Barney sucks" speal.

How come this staff hasn’t received criticism like the previous staff did for only have 2 of 18 recruits being Nebraska kids? :madash I could careless how many in-state kids get scholarships however there were plenty that demanded Billy C take a certain amount every year. Are the 2 that have committed the only D-1 prospects in the state this year that are worth taking? Are there a few that we still have a hand in that we may end up giving scholarships to or are we trying to get more in-state kids to walk-on? Is that kid from Millard South that people have been chubbing over since his first year at Omaha Central still in the mix?

Like I said, I personally think the number is a non issue, I just wonder where all those people are that were demanding in-state kids be signed from 04-07. Do they still feel the same way or did they realize that there are only so many in-state kids that actually deserve scholarships? :dunno

In retrospect this might be more a question of which recruits got away, where they went and how much they are contributing to their respective teams than any complaint about how many Nebraska gave scholarships to...quality over quantity.

Right off the top of my head, I can't recall where recruits ranked over the Callahan coaching era or where they all ended up (Hicks...Bates...the only two I know of without looking)...but they ended up being good recruits lost to a rival school in the same division of the same conference...nobody wants that because it could come back to haunt them and (using those two examples) I believe they were highly visable players in skill positions...not to mention Bates had an NU legacy. Now, no one is going to bat an eye when someone like Derek Schmidgall comes over to ISU...what's a little no-name linebacker from some little burg gonna do for your team anyway (bad attitude by the way)...but to lose a highly ranked recruit with an NU pedigree to a rival? Horrible job out of Bill Callahan...especially considering the limited amount of D-I players available, ranked or unranked, in a small population/no other college competition state such as Nebraska. You should make a real concerted effort to get all those guys that you can because if you don't...smaller schools like ISU or Colorado are gonna start cherry picking at the borders and making you pay.